You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-22 03:59:14

loopz84

some gtk engines for themes are not working.

I have installed the most used gtk engines from doing various google searches, but they don't seem to be working. All I get is a classic win95 look for the controls, (buttons, slider bars, tabs..etc.) When I use pacman -Q to check if the engines are installed it shows that they are. I'm mainly talking about gtk-smooth-engine and the murrine colors themes. They don't seem to be working. I am using xorg configured with nvidia-xconfig. I am not using the .xinitrc file. Maybe that's why? I dont know. I can't find an answer from google. Been searching for a few days since I installed archlinux. Any info or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advanced for your help.

#2 2010-07-22 04:14:51

pseup

Re: some gtk engines for themes are not working.

If you start a gtk app from a terminal then there should be errors output for any missing gtk engines that the current gtk theme uses.

How are you setting your gtk theme? Are you sure that it is set correctly?

Last edited by pseup (2010-07-22 04:17:00)

#3 2010-07-22 04:26:22

loopz84

here is the error when I switch to murrine-brave ~/.themes/Murrine-Unity-Brave/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:114: error: unexpected identifier `arrowstyle', expected character `}'

here is when I switch to one the smooth-gnome themes (gtk-chtheme:2269): Gtk-WARNING **: GModule (/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libsmooth.so) initialization check failed: Gtk+ version too new (major mismatch)

so libsmooth.so is too new? Its the one that installs with gtk-engines. It's the only one that installs even when I do the install for it by itself.
p.s. I was using gtk-chtheme to change the themes. Also when I use switch to change themes I get this error: Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Last edited by loopz84 (2010-07-22 04:36:57)

#4 2010-07-22 08:03:38

caligo

That theme seems to require the git version of the murrine theme engine, judging by the text on the gnome-looks page:

This theme requires a GIT version of the Murrine GTK engine, which supports rounded tabs, buttons, scrollbars, etc. Arch Linux users can install the "gtk-engine-murrine-git" package from the AUR to meet this requirement (the package in the Community repo isn't new enough to work as of the release date of this theme). Other distributions may have similar packages available.

My experience is that this is a quite common thing with murrine themes -- I guess rounded tabs etc. is a quite desirable feature.

#5 2010-07-22 11:27:26

celticmusicguy

I'm the creator of the "Murrine Unity" themes and I can confirm that at least for now, you'll need to have the "gtk-engine-murrine-git" package from the AUR for the themes to work properly. There are a few configuration options in the git version of the Murrine engine that aren't in the stable version yet..."arrowstyle" (which allows you to have filled-in arrows on menus) is one of those options.

I'm working on cleaning up some of the code for the Murrine Unity themes and plan to release a new version soon. This new version should work with the stable version of the Murrine engine. I'm finding that all of the important options I want to use for these themes do work with the stable version so there's probably no reason for me to rely on the options I'm currently using from the git version.

Solutions nearly always come from the direction you least expect, which means there's no point trying to look in that direction because it won't be coming from there.
-Douglas Adams

#6 2010-07-22 15:52:48

loopz84

Yea, I got the murrine git version last night. that worked out pretty good, I still don't get whats wrong with the smooth engine. I even used the svn packages and nothing seems to get that to work. I tried using gtk2-smooth-engine from the AUR, but that just screwed up the other engines and seemed to take complete control or something wierd like that, because every theme had the smooth gnome look to it.

#7 2010-07-22 22:03:59

celticmusicguy

@loopz84, I just tried out the gtk-smooth-engine myself and although I noticed the same problems you're having, I got a different error message:

(gtk-chtheme:15323): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "smooth",

I tried the gtk2-smooth-engine as described at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=46025 and that worked for me, but I see you tried that as well and still had no luck. Seems like the "libcanberra-gtk-module.so" error message you were getting with gtk-chtheme may be the problem here.

[tony@blacktower ~]$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so is owned by libcanberra 0.23-1

Looks like that file is part of the "libcanberra" package - perhaps reinstalling that will help.

Solutions nearly always come from the direction you least expect, which means there's no point trying to look in that direction because it won't be coming from there.
-Douglas Adams

#8 2010-07-23 04:45:00

Cdh

loopz84 wrote:

here is when I switch to one the smooth-gnome themes (gtk-chtheme:2269): Gtk-WARNING **: GModule (/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libsmooth.so) initialization check failed: Gtk+ version too new (major mismatch)

so libsmooth.so is too new?

Be careful when using smooth themes. For me programs started segfaulting because of libsmooth.so
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=100309

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

Board footer