You are not logged in.

#26 2005-04-04 21:38:50

kcy29581

Re: idea for "newbs help"

phrakture,

you I love! smile But not in a gay bishop way (as Bill Bailey said)

I've already spoken to mods about this and things seem to have been done which is a great thing.

The best way to remedy this is to simply point mods to people in this forum that abuse users, treat new users (not noobs, but new to Arch) like dirt and think that they know everything!

To be honest though, I can see myself directing most of my mates towards Arch in the future, as the community is way friendlier that what we perceived it to be, plus most of the stability issues are being ironed out. pacman is a great tool and deserves respect.

Arch is great and I want it to succeed as I have a handful of boxes on which I want to get rid of Debian and install Arch. I should've stressed that most of the gripes were in the past!

There is no spoon in Arch...

#27 2005-04-06 03:00:29

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

to be honest i was always pretty newbie friendly.  i was a mod on the Vector Linux forums, renowed for being one of the friendliest there are, but it drove me insane.

The amount of times I had to pm people and say "Help me I'm a n00b" just isn't an appropriate topic title was enough to drive me insane.

What we really need is a linux newbie website, one which collates the docs about how not to get your ass flamed off by asking the questions which have been asked a 100 times before.

Tips like how to use phpbb serach to get good results, how to use google, how to search a wiki, read the topic in IRC channels, that kind of thing - the info is on the web but, lets be honest, 90% of people, nevermind newbies would rather ask than read.

#28 2005-04-06 05:26:19

kcy29581

dibblethewrecker,

you are absolutely right about newbies wanting to ask rather than read. Thats part of the problem... Some take it as a learning experience, but some just are darn lazy. It's just up to the one who sees their questions to try and tell which is which, and that can be very frustrating.

I like the idea of the website, the linux documentation project is one I know of, but the way they structure the info is really hard to see. A manual can have 100 pages and there is no indication where the required info is... I guess the more experienced the author, the more out of touch with readers. Even the "mighty" Debian falls short most of the times. I remember an argument I had with someone over the Java doc. Same stuff was written twice ina different name. I think now Debian noobs just install java directly from Sun, cant be bothered to ask and get flamed!!!

There is no spoon in Arch...

Board footer