You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-02 03:46:39

kpbotbot
Website

BIOS won't see GRUB after installation (??)

Hi all.

I've been experimenting with Linux for a couple of years now just for the heck of it, and still I don't consider myself "that good", so I decided to try out Arch myself to "test" my Linux skills. Installing on a VM is too easy, since I could do things carelessly, so now, I'm trying to get it running on real hardware.

So onto the problem. Sorry for the long intro big_smile

For now, I'm trying to dualboot Vista and Arch with the suggested layout in the guides. Overall, I have 149GB of space. Here's a screenshot of EASEUS showing my partitioning. I didn't actually make the partitions with EASEUS but with GParted. Anyway, here it is.

EASEUSPartitionMasterHomeEdition-Free_2010-08-02_11-20-51.png

Everything after drive D is an extended partition, and stuff under it are logical (I'm not really sure of what I'm talking about here, but that's how I set them up big_smile)

The last 4 are in this order(since it can't be seen in Windows):

- /boot
- linux-swap
- /
- /home

Just a few more details: I skipped the part that involves using cfdisk since I already partitioned my disk with Gparted. I moved on to the mount points thingy, and selected the first option (the one with the /dev). I was pretty sure that I only had to pick one. Then I set the partition's respective mount points. Went on with the installation and installed GRUB on /boot (sda5 in my case, in case you're wondering).

After everything was done with the installation, I realized that I forgot to set the bootable flag thingy on sda5, and so I did, with GParted. Restarted again, and still nothing --' I could still boot to Vista though when I re-set the boot flag on sda1.

Any help? Any step that I'm missing?

Sex is not the answer.

Sex is the question, and Yes is the answer.

#2 2010-08-02 05:13:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: BIOS won't see GRUB after installation (??)

If you want grub to handle the selection of OS both for Arch and for Windows, then you need to install grub on the MBR.

So when it asks you to install grub, select /dev/sda and NOT /dev/sda5

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-08-02 05:19:27

Cagnulein
Website

2 things:
- i've never installed grub in a logical partition (maybe is not an issue)
- looking your graph, i think /boot is sda3 not sda5, isn't it?

#4 2010-08-02 10:54:24

hokasch

What Inxsible said, plus I think you have to keep the bootflag on sda1 or Vista will get confused - for grub/linux bootflags can be ignored. Grub in a logical partition works fine as long as you chainload it, but the bios looks only through the primary partitions to find a bootloader.

#5 2010-08-02 12:37:10

kpbotbot
Website

@Inxsible: Mmmkay, I'll try that out right now. I'll just reinstall Arch since it'd be such a hassle setting up grub without Arch booting big_smile
@Cagnulein: /boot is sda5. I checked with the cfdisk before I moved on to setting mount points smile
@hokasch - Thanks. Setting bootflag to sda1 big_smile

Sex is not the answer.

#6 2010-08-02 12:38:37

hokasch

You can just reinstall grub from the arch install cd, instructions are in the wiki.

#7 2010-08-03 12:43:25

kpbotbot
Website

hokasch wrote:

You can just reinstall grub from the arch install cd, instructions are in the wiki.

HAHAHAHAHA too late xD Thanks though. Could use this info for future installs and probably to repair future errors. By the way, Installed Arch just fine. Thanks for all the help guys smile I'll be staying in the forums for a while. Setting up everything (almost) manually is FUN!

Sex is not the answer.

Board footer