You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-09 14:40:07

timm

Can I run microsoft sql server on my archlinux box?

One of our office programs is showing its age, and I am looking at upgrading.  Unfortunately, they have changed their approach and it now requires a microsoft sql server.  Is there a way to run that on my arch server, through vmware or something like that?  I don't want to invest in a separate windows box just for this one program.

No, there isn't an open source alternative.  I've looked.

#2 2010-08-09 15:37:45

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Can I run microsoft sql server on my archlinux box?

I assume that MSSQL has a feature that can't be replicated in MYSQL/PostgreSQL?

Anyway...
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6636

#3 2010-08-09 17:30:51

Spacenick

Of couse you can use kvm or VirtualBox to run a WindowsServer on your Archbox, the speed should be good enough on recent server hardware (nearly native probably) but you will need a MS Licence of course

#4 2010-08-09 19:50:17

briest

timm wrote:

it now requires a microsoft sql server.

You may try using Sybase ASE; for long time (until 6.0), MS SQL Server was just Sybase with MS branding and even today differences are not so big (depending, of course, on specific application's needs). I have never tried such a setup, but connecting to MSSQL with Sybase client libraries works OK, maybe you'd have luck in opposite direction.

There is a document on migrating apps from MSSQL to ASE; I know this is not the case, but there are some valuable information about differences between those RDBMSs that may help you to decide whether there are chances to succeed or not.

Board footer