You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-13 03:18:24

benoror
Website

Please Support Arch Linux Q&A site in Stack Exchange!

As an Ubuntu Q&A has been commited, why not Arch?

The site is:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposa … arch-linux

ArchLinux :: Awesome WM :: dotfiles

#2 2010-08-13 03:28:29

Skripka

Re: Please Support Arch Linux Q&A site in Stack Exchange!

benoror wrote:

As an Ubuntu Q&A has been commited, why not Arch?

The site is:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposa … arch-linux

Why not?  Well, asking a question on the UbuntuForums is like leaving a baby on a street corner.  If you question isn't answered within an hour, it will be buried on Page 10 and never get answered.    Combined with Ubuntu's pitifully out-of-date and poorly-maintained Wiki...mean that as an Ubuntu user you have to beg for help wherever you can get it.

I'm fairly certain that ALL of the "Example Questions" on the page you linked to are covered in up-to-date detail in our Wiki.

#3 2010-08-13 04:01:25

Acecero

That's a nice idea.  It could save newcomers the trouble from asking repeated questions on the forums.  Though this thread would be more appropriate in the "Arch Discussion" subforum imo.

#4 2010-08-13 04:13:00

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Acecero wrote:

That's a nice idea.  It could save newcomers the trouble from asking repeated questions on the forums.  Though this thread would be more appropriate in the "Arch Discussion" subforum imo.

Well, it would only work as well as the README pages on the forums. Although we have a page at the top of the Newbie Corner asking for users to use appropriate thread titles, we still get threads like "Only one question" or "Please help!".

#5 2010-08-13 04:13:30

anonymous_user

Besides the wiki, a lot of the questions can be found on the forum. Im sure you can find plenty of threads on "Whats the best [program]?". Just visit TGN!

#6 2010-08-13 04:25:54

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I am not sure this here belongs in the Arch Discussion or in Off-topic. But it surely doesn't belong in the Community Contributions. Moving to Arch Discussion for now.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2010-08-13 05:13:21

Acecero

itsbrad212 wrote:
Acecero wrote:

Well, it would only work as well as the README pages on the forums. Although we have a page at the top of the Newbie Corner asking for users to use appropriate thread titles, we still get threads like "Only one question" or "Please help!".

I was trying to think practically here.  This thing is a like forum FAQ with beginner questions that have been answered, which could be reviewed easily, instead of having to search the hundreds of pages of threads.  Newcomers that feel intimidated to explore, would find this helpful.  My point would be that newcomers who looked through this, would likely open more brain neurons to expand their knowledge easily through the wiki and forums.

#8 2010-08-13 08:28:02

tomk
Forum Fellow

Is everyone aware that we already have a FAQ? Maybe the time/effort should be invested in that instead.

Apart from that, well, yeah go ahead - Arch info in various different places may be useful to some. Personally, I'd just go straight for the Arch wiki/forums.

#9 2010-08-13 09:17:39

stqn
Website

It seems to me this would be a bad thing because now instead of only having to search the wiki and the (official) forums, we'd have to go to this stackexchange thing too. People who participate in stackexchange wouldn't want to re-explain the same things on the forum or the wiki... Scattering of information.

#10 2010-08-13 09:59:51

ablepharus

@ stqn:   good point. I don't think this is necessary, because the wiki answers those questions.

#11 2010-08-13 16:32:40

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Acecero wrote:
itsbrad212 wrote:
Acecero wrote:

I was trying to think practically here.  This thing is a like forum FAQ with beginner questions that have been answered, which could be reviewed easily, instead of having to search the hundreds of pages of threads.  Newcomers that feel intimidated to explore, would find this helpful.  My point would be that newcomers who looked through this, would likely open more brain neurons to expand their knowledge easily through the wiki and forums.

In theory, yes it is an excellent idea. I was just pointing out the fact that new users might neglect to read it. It will cut down on the number of threads with the same question, so I understand where you're coming from. wink

#12 2010-08-13 16:40:19

flamelab

Ubuntu has Q/A site I guess since their wiki is not good at all. Compare it to the great quality and quantity of the arch one tongue

#13 2010-10-19 19:06:47

benoror
Website

Again with the "splintering the community" talk? Check this out: http://dougal.gunters.org/blog/2010/06/ … -community

I think that Q&A is the logic place for casual issues, and Wiki is for more serious documentation, I simply think that forums (a.k.a. BBS) should disappear from this world.

ArchLinux :: Awesome WM :: dotfiles

#14 2010-10-19 21:39:12

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I guess you made your point... After all, that's why you opened this topic no? No need to reiterate that again, especially since this topic went dark for two months. All replies you got so fare were made on the very day you opened the topic - so I really don't get why you're bumping this. I'm pretty sure flamelab's remark was tongue in cheek.

Also, the fact alone you open this thread on a BBS testifies to the importance forums have in a Linux community. You might want to see them disappear, wishing it so won't make it happen smile. Only time will tell. As itsbrad212 pointed out so vividly, you can whip up just about any tool you want to help out beginners - we have plenty of mechanisms in place to guide them, they still manage to work around them. The human mind can be stubborn. Don't underestimate it. Yet another new fancy site that aims to centralise information will not revolutionise the Linux communities.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#15 2010-11-03 17:42:49

StefanLiebenberg
Website

Hey Guys

This is not really related to the proposal of Archlinux on Stackexchange that benoror mentioned. This is about the Unix & Linux  Stackexchange site, that has already made it to beta. Its not distro specific, just general *nix stuff.

I posted on this other thread, but the mod felt it would be better If I posted it here.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the stackexchange Q&A sites, but every question has accociated tags.  Each of these tags is linked to its own wiki page.

I'm working on getting information for each distribution tag. As my distro of choice, Arch gets attention first. wink

Could you guys check out the arch tag and let me know if I missed anything vital? smile

Arch Tag's Wiki on Unix SE:  http://unix.stackexchange.com/tags/arch-linux/info

Thank you

Last edited by StefanLiebenberg (2010-11-03 17:45:18)

Stefan Liebenberg
Software Developer
http://unix.stackexchange.com/users/1327/stefan

Board footer