You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-14 13:53:09

viveksharma2108

Just few issues left for a full complete Gnome-Arch :D.

This is the first time with arch, actually i did try earlier, but could never get it to boot. Never figured out how to handle a seperate /boot. This time everything in single "/". I am using thinkpad T61, with nvidia quadro 140NVS, T9300, intel 4635 agn.

I have done a lot of reading, wikis and forums in last 2 weeks, that all this information is confusing me now. So i resort to forums for opinions and best practises. As of now, i have my sound, multimedia working, nvidia, xorg and compiz working.

1. I am using alsa+gstreamer and also xine-libs. From what i learned from blogs/forums/wikis that OSSv4 is better than alsa, its quality and loudness is both higher, because it uses better mathematical calculations. Xine-lib is better than gstreamer. I installed OSSv4, cudnt get it to work, a loud continous beep on first reboot came, nothing came up, X hanged. After a hard reboot, it booted to gnome, without the beep. Removed OSS and installed ALSA.
I after lot of trying thought of following ubuntu on this, majorly as those guys put lot of effort and money in developing a superior user desktop, so i thought better to use what they do. Instatted alsa-gstreamer-good/bad. Banshee is working, all the media is working and skype is working.
Is OSSv4 that superior, will it be worth few more hours of effort.?
And shall i ditch xine altogether if multimedia is working good?
Do i need pulse-audio?

2. Synaptic installed, touchpad scroll works, but tapping is not working. The wiki guides to config /etc/xorg.conf. But there is not file called xorg.conf on my machine. I used find and locate to look for it, nothing. I do have  /etc/xorg.conf.d/ .. and then nvidia, synaptic ... in it. I have installed evdev, it say hotpluging support. Usb flash drive is working but card reader is not working. Althought in /etc/rc.conf MOD_AUTOLOAD is set to yes. How do i get the card reader working?

3. How can i make the windows close buttons like minimize, maximize and close to come on left-side than right. I tired to install equinox (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35808), no such package in pacman. Well pacman doesnot have any gtk2 package too, which is required by equinox and murrine(http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25649). Any hints how to install these or is their anyother way i can get the buttons on the left side of the top border?
/*presently i am using Elegant Gnome Pack (http://arch-stuff.org/content/show.php/ … ent=127826)*/

4. ntfs-3g is installed /etc/fstab has the following lines
/dev/sda1 /mnt/C ntfs-3g rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0
/dev/sda5 /mnt/D vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0

/dev/sda5 automatically mounts to /mnt/D but /dev/sda1 doesnot automatically mounts. It does mounts on clicking the auto-detected drive icon in nautilus and giving root password, then it also shows up at /mnt/C. Yes C is ntfs windows-7, and D is fat32.

5. Is there a way to record the messages that the terminal shows while booting UP. Before i installed OSS there were nevery any error/ failure messages. But after i installed (althought removed now) there are a few messages which says error, and before i can make anything out, it just goes to gnome. gnome is user-authenticated, where i dont see gdm, i straight get the desktop

6. Even on logout, i dont see the GDM, like in ubuntu or others. Which means if i have to switch user i will have to install and use switch user applet. Is there a way on the first boot, i straight-away get a gnome desktop, but on the second or subsequent logouts, i get a GDM and then i have to give username and password for the session.

7. How to get a splash screen in grub, the standard grub which comes with the iso downloaded.

Thanks a lot in advance.

#2 2010-08-14 14:04:01

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Just few issues left for a full complete Gnome-Arch :D.

1. oss has support for less cards than alsa, maybe your card is not supported by it? And no, ypu probaly don't need pulse, but you can use it if you like to.

2. make it, or better: edit the synaptics file in xorg.conf.d/

3. pacman is not a aur frontent. rtfw

4. remove the 'user' flags

5. rtfw

6. Are you actually running gdm?

7. you don't. Get grub2 or a patched grob 0.97 instead. Again, the wiki has info about it.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2010-08-14 14:48:19

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

viveksharma2108 wrote:

is their anyother way i can get the buttons on the left side of the top border?

Assuming you use metacity and/or compiz (the usual GNOME WMs), run this command:

$ gconftool-2 --type=string --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout 'close,maximize,minimize:'

you can change the order if you want, and put things on the right of the colon too

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#4 2010-08-15 11:57:35

viveksharma2108

Thanks PirateJonno,
1. it worked. Which of option in this make the buttons go to the left. Man pages doesnot say anything about the placement. It works after reboot also.

Thanks Elendig
1. I am using Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03). The card is supported by OSS. I guess will give it a try someother time.

2. Solved it by install gsynaptic package, just a check box to enable tapping. After reboot tapping again was lost, no idea.
3. still to-do for me

4. didnot work

5. still to-do for me
6. Its strange, i thought i had GDM installed, just installed. I then logged out to check, no username <password> came, so it didnot work. Rebooted and logged out again, it didnot work.

7. Still have to browse the net, if any risk of breaking the system on doing this.

thanks a lot guys.

#5 2010-08-15 19:38:59

cubeist

Re: #6
Getting to know pacman as a new user is time well spent.  There is a great wiki, but also 'man pacman' will display all the options available.

To check if you have a package like GDM installed type pacman -Qs gdm or pacman-Ss gdm

The way you describe it, gdm is not installed on your system.

In general terms, the first place you should always look for software is via pacman ( make sure you have community and extra repos on, but leave testing repo off unless you know what you are doing)

Next, if something isn't in pacman, you can look through AUR.  And never install files you find on the net unless you know exactly what your getting, where it is being installed, and if the packager is a trusted source!

Cheers

#6 2010-08-15 19:59:32

cubeist

For #4 make sure your fstab ends on a blank line!

Also, try this line
/dev/sda5 /mnt/D vfat owner,rw,umask=022 0 0

Also, may seem obvious, but make sure /mnt/D exists!

And lastly, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you had googled it, you would see other people have had this problem and written tutorials on it, like this one!

http://ubuntu.swerdna.org/ubufat32.html

#7 2010-08-15 23:25:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@cubeist, while your assistance is well-appreciated, perhaps the 'edit' button would be more useful next time smile.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-08-15 23:33:07

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

cubeist wrote:

Getting to know pacman as a new user is time well spent.  There is a great wiki, but also 'man pacman' will display all the options available.

To check if you have a package like GDM installed type pacman -Qs gdm or pacman-Ss gdm

while pacman -Qs gdm does show you whether gdm is installed or not, pacman -Ss gdm will simply search the repos for the package not your system.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#9 2010-08-16 00:05:55

cubeist

Inxsible wrote:
cubeist wrote:

while pacman -Qs gdm does show you whether gdm is installed or not, pacman -Ss gdm will simply search the repos for the package not your system.

yes, if you use pacman -Ss gdm it will search repos, but will also tell you if you have it installed locally with the brackets to the right of the program, like so:

pacman -Ss gdm
extra/gdm 2.30.4-2 (gnome-extra) [installed]

I should have been more clear.  It's usefull sometimes to use both, incase you manually(or accidentally) deleted dependencies for example, they won't show up in Qs but Ss they will

---
Edited ---
On another topic.... since I already got in trouble for making a second post...

ngoonee wrote:

@cubeist, while your assistance is well-appreciated, perhaps the 'edit' button would be more useful next time smile.

why?

20 mins after my first post I had a second train of thought that was slightly different from my first post?  My understanding of "edit" is to alter the context of what is already written.  But if I am violating forum rules of some sort, I apologize.

Last edited by cubeist (2010-08-16 00:14:52)

#10 2010-08-16 00:52:30

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

cubeist wrote:

Edited ---
On another topic.... since I already got in trouble for making a second post...

ngoonee wrote:

why?

20 mins after my first post I had a second train of thought that was slightly different from my first post?  My understanding of "edit" is to alter the context of what is already written.  But if I am violating forum rules of some sort, I apologize.

Don't think of it as getting into trouble. Its not a rule of any sort, but generally speaking posting twice in a row isn't necessary (except with really long posts to break into logical sections).

As I mentioned, we need more community members like you to offer assistance. Was just giving a bit of friendly advise on double-posting.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#11 2010-08-16 08:27:10

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

viveksharma2108 wrote:

Thanks PirateJonno,
1. it worked. Which of option in this make the buttons go to the left. Man pages doesnot say anything about the placement. It works after reboot also.

I'm assuming this was a question. For design reasons GNOME tends to hide some configuration options from the user - make of this what you will.
Anyway, the bits that matter are the last 2 strings. The name of the setting is /apps/metacity/general/button_layout, and the value is 'close,maximize,minimize:'. This value is just a comma-separated list of button names, which can be either close, maximize, minimize, menu or spacer. The colon represents the middle of the title bar. For example, the normal value (like what Windows uses) is 'menu:minimize,maximize,close'.

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#12 2010-08-16 08:30:18

wonder
Developer
Website

2) gsynaptics is not needed. gnome has something like that by default in system->preferences->mouse Touchpad tab

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#13 2010-08-17 08:07:09

viveksharma2108

Thanks Cubiest,

$ pacman -Qs gdm
local/gdm 2.30.4-2 (gnome-extra)
    Gnome Display Manager (a reimplementation of xdm)

$ pacman -Ss gdm
extra/gdm 2.30.4-2 (gnome-extra) [installed]
    Gnome Display Manager (a reimplementation of xdm)
community/gdmap 0.8.1-2
    Tool to inspect the used space of folders.

both the /mnt/C and /mnt/D are their. D (vfat) automatically mount at login. /mnt/C (ntfs-3g) doesnot mount. It only mount with sudo mount /mnt/C, but not without sudo, thus not at the time of booting as a user.

Thanks PirateJonno,
this was useful information, i read man gconftool-2, but could not find any info on position or button-position. Thanks again.

Wonder
if you click system->preferences->mouse Touchpad tab, and then help on the window you will see it is gsynaptic.

Thanks for the help, i am so stuck at office these days, that not able to try and find solutions to my issues. But thanks community.

#14 2010-08-17 16:29:25

cubeist

viveksharma2108 wrote:

Thanks Cubiest,

both the /mnt/C and /mnt/D are their. D (vfat) automatically mount at login. /mnt/C (ntfs-3g) doesnot mount. It only mount with sudo mount /mnt/C, but not without sudo, thus not at the time of booting as a user.

Add the option

auto

to the fstab line that you want automatically mounted at boot!

Board footer