You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-01 14:47:22

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

To anyone using ndiswrapper

I am going to go ahead and make arch packages for ndiswrapper and any drivers needed....

if anyone is using this, please let me know what driver, what card, and the download loc of the driver if you can...

thanks in advance.

I am currently using the broadcom (bcmlw5 and bcmlw5a, although only a works).

proposed package naming:
ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper-bcmlw5
ndiswrapper-bcmlw5a
ndiswrapper-BLAH

#2 2004-10-01 15:22:53

Pajaro

Re: To anyone using ndiswrapper

#3 2004-10-04 16:20:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok ndiswrapper has a pkgbuild in the "New and Requested Packages" forum...
I will make up all the driver packages tonight and post the builds

I'll try to get these in incoming tonight as well

#4 2004-10-05 19:44:40

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Drivers in my repo:

bcmwl5
bcmwl5a
airplus

see signature.... let me know if it works (totally untested... i'm at work)

#5 2004-10-07 19:57:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

k.ODOMA wrote:

Card: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Driver: w22n51 (I haven't been able to find a download location for the driver)

this uses ipw2100 :
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/

#6 2004-10-08 17:25:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

updated the ndiswrapper package to include a daemon script.

if you want wireless at boot, use the network script for the wlan0 device, but make sure to add the ndiswrapper script BEFORE network to properly configure the device

#7 2004-10-09 16:22:39

cbozic

This is an excellent idea!  I am using a card that needs the bcmwl5 driver but as I recall, there were several bcmwl5 drivers listed on the ndiswraper site that didn't work for my card.  I think I ended up using one that was listed on the ndiswrapper site as provided by Compaq or Emachines.  Even though I have a dell D800, the drivers from dell didn't work.  How does your package handle the differen't revisions of the Broadcom driver?  A better question might be which revision of the broadcom driver is supplied with your package?

Also, to sort of branch this topic, has anyone had any success getting the wpa supplicant to work with thier ndiswrapper?  Mine just keeps scanning endlessly.   I can get things to work with wep just fine but they use wpa-spa at work.  I'm attemting to make my home network use wpa-spa also to get the added security.  Has anyone had any success here?

#8 2004-10-10 04:26:01

iphitus
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:
k.ODOMA wrote:

Card: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Driver: w22n51 (I haven't been able to find a download location for the driver)

this uses ipw2100 :
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/

No, its different, uses http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

#9 2004-12-12 22:25:31

rayjgu3

just got this card found this so heres my stuff

card Lynksys wpc54g   
from research ive done chip is broadcom94306

i used ndiswrapper  using lsbcmnds.inf from cd with card

added
eth0="dhcp"
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0 wlan0)
to rc.conf im in
just cant seem to figure out essid wep but i just started
hopefully figure it out soon

#10 2004-12-13 15:25:38

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

if you have ndiswrapper installed with the correct driver and all that stuff, I would suggest (shameless self plug) the scripts here: http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless%20setup

Setting the essid and stuff isn't part of arch normally... so these scripts will help, any questions, feel free to ask.

#11 2005-01-17 12:05:53

Pupwiz
Website

Linksys Wireless B WPC11 ver4

http://rtcwstats.dyndns.org/linkable/re … 0(168).zip

I have tried the one suggested by Linksys but I got an error from ndiswrapper that it wasn't right so I did a search for the suggested one and stored it on my server.

wink

#12 2005-03-29 10:40:10

big_gie

hey phrakture.

While playing around with kernels, I've tough it could be usefull to use a package name based on the kernel, since ndiswrapper is nothing else then a kernel module...

Pros:
-Possibility to have many ndiswrapper packages for each kernels. Much easier when fooling around with kernels.
-Possibility to distinguish packages for different kernels. On your repo, the package ndiswrapper-1.1-1.pkg.tar.gz doesn't say much. It could install properly but not fonction well : the package was compiled with v2.6.10-ARCH kernel, so with a different kernel, the package won't install.

Cons:
-Package name changes from "ndiswrapper" to "ndiswrapper-<kernel name>" witch can be hard to remember.

What I suggest:
Changing the PKGBUILD so the name of the kernel would be included in the package. One possible solution qould be to add this line at the end of the file:

pkgname=$pkgname-$kernver

I may understand changing the $pkgname variable from inside build() isn't the best solution. I stay opened to suggestions.

With this modification, I get a package named "ndiswrapper-2.6.11.5-vanilla-custom-c1-1.1-1.pkg.tar.gz"
(with "uname -r" returning "2.6.11.5-vanilla-custom-c1").

This subject brings me to a question : Is it possible to recompile the program without the PKGBUILD? Is there some sources pakages avaible, a bit like srs.rpm? Because since some packages are kernel modules, they stay kernel independent. After a kernel upgrade, I need to reinstall the nvidia and ndiswrapper modules. "pacman -S nvidia" will reinstall the module in the new /lib/modules/<new kernel> but will pacman "forget" it had installed it once in /lib/modules/<old kernel>? So when doing "pacman -R nvidia" it will only remove the ""lib/modules/<new kernel>" one and not the other. Having different packages name for different modules packages would, here, be a good idea.

What do you think?

#13 2005-03-29 15:55:35

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hmmm, you do bring up a good point... I debated something like that for a while, and ended up putting the kernel version in the description...
My original issue was that there was no way I could simply make them all work together, and allow other things installed that depend on it...
I guess I can mess with provides=() and try that out...
I'll look into it.

And sorry, I haven't updated the new package for some reason (dunno why, maybe I just did a pacman -A to install it)

#14 2005-03-30 07:45:49

big_gie

Would it be possible to make a package compilable at install time?

Instead of compiling, packaging, distributing, it could be packaging, distributing, compiling. Maybe adding a line to PKGBUILD, something like "issource=1". When makepkg would see this, it won't compile but package the PKGBUILD inside the archive. Then, when pacman is called to install, it would compile?

#15 2005-03-30 17:43:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

that's too drastic a change, and just really isn't needed - what you're suggesting is automating a process that takes minimal effort, and increases the time required by the end user....

as it stands, pkgbuilds are very simple things... the only issue comes up when you talk of version dependant packages... kernel modules, python packages, maybe even perl packages...

I have no clue if abs/pacman has anything in the works for changing this... but I doubt it... most people use the stock kernel - if they create custom kernels they understand they're going to have to custom compile they're modules... because a patch may have changed an interface that module needs...

#16 2005-04-02 15:03:44

big_gie

Hey phrakture,

I wanted to make a pkg for KlamAV, a GUI for clamav. Klamav supports using a "on access scanner", as AV on windows does. I wanted that feature to, so I've fooled around a bit.

That on-access scaner is a kernel modules, which depends on the kernel module. So I decided to create a PKGBUILD for dazuko. I based myself on what I did for my ndiswrapper PKGBUILD. So I have now the package "dazuko-<kernel version>-2.0.6-1.pkg.tar.gz".

But the Klamav's PKGBUILD would depend on this... I found a way though, really simple:

pkgname=klamav
pkgver=0.15.2
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="ClamAV Anti-Virus protection for the KDE desktop"
depends=(clamav dazuko-`uname -r`)

So now my klamav package depends on dazuko-2.6.11.5-vanilla-custom-c3-2.0.6-1.pkg.tar.gz

That wasn't really complicated...

#17 2005-04-12 01:52:56

kcy29581

phrakture,

I've seen your wiki page that shows your repository for pacman. How come it's not listed in the TUR pages?

Just wondering

There is no spoon in Arch...

#18 2005-04-12 15:09:29

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

it's not a TU - a TUR is hosted by Arch directly - mine is self hosted.  I guess I could go and get a TUR... but the AUR system has been released, so it's not that important...
http://aur.archlinux.org

#19 2005-04-12 20:14:30

kcy29581

phracture,

about AUR... I have made myself an account and noticed that ndiswrapper is in there. I have added AUR in my pacman.conf, did a pacman -Syu, it said that its updated, but when I search for ndiswrapper (pacman -Ss ndiswrapper) it can't be found... What am I doing wrong? Should I open a seperate thread for this?

#20 2005-04-12 20:16:31

kcy29581

Hang on... I think I know what I did wrong. ndiswrapper is in the unsupported repo NOT the community one! Thats it isn't it? *bump*

Board footer