You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-26 04:05:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

[SOLVED]what other driver would be applicable for nvidia-96xx

I have an old machine which used nvidia-96xx. I am planning to go open source on it since the machine is so old, that it can hardly do any of the higher end graphics anyway.

The card on the machine is

lspci | grep VGA
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11[GeForce2 Go] (rev b2)

I was wondering what driver I can use. All I need is that the machine should run basic movie videos. I don't do games or flash on it ..simply because the machine just cannot handle it.

Would the nouveau be applicable or should I just use a vesa driver? I looked up the nouveau chart matrix, but it didn't list my card explicitly

I checked this link It mentions NV11 -- but the actual name is GeForce2 MX

so I am not a 100 %.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2010-08-26 04:08:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]what other driver would be applicable for nvidia-96xx

Bah !!

I found this a minute too late. I am just gonna try the nouveau driver and see how things work out.

http://www.archlinux.org/news/502/

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-08-26 04:32:27

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Only question, I have now is, that a bunch of apps require libgl which is provided by nvidia-96xx-utils.

Would it be safe to install libgl an remove nvidia-96xx-utils?

Forum Rules

#4 2010-08-26 09:40:37

berbae

I have libgl 7.8.2-1 installed with the Nouveau driver.
It is required by libva  mesa  mplayer  qt  xine-lib  xorg-server  xorg-utils.
It runs without problem on my machine.
But I have a NV40 Nvidia graphical integreted chipset not a NV11 one.

#5 2010-08-26 10:24:02

lucak3

Inxsible wrote:

Only question, I have now is, that a bunch of apps require libgl which is provided by nvidia-96xx-utils.

Would it be safe to install libgl an remove nvidia-96xx-utils?

Of course: nvidia-utils conflicts with libgl because it provides its own libgl, so if you choose to go nouveau, you actually need to replace it.
BTW, since your card is NV11, from NV10 family (as per http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames), the support status seems good: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix

My personal experience with my dad's pc that has an NV25, from NV20 family which has an almost equal support status, is very good: he didn't even notice i changed the drivers...

Last edited by lucak3 (2010-08-26 10:24:24)

The Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it. - Linus Torvalds

Board footer