You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-14 04:21:08

poetofnumbers
Website

plea for help with BitTornado

I'm running BitTornado 0.3.10 -s1 behind a Linksys BEFRS4.1 ver 3, and my problem is that whenever I try to download a torrent, the program can never seem to find any clients.  Currently I'm trying to get Knoppix 3.8, which probably is not abandoned.  I have no problem surfing the web or chatting over AIM via Gaim or IRC via xchat.  I suspect my router settings are the obstacle.  Currently I have port forwarding turned on for both TCP and UDP on port range 6881-6900 for my dhcp assigned ip address 192.168.1.100.  By port settings for BitTornado match with those for my router.  Screenshot of my browser looking at the port forwarding settings and the BitTornado preferences window open.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#2 2005-04-14 06:15:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: plea for help with BitTornado

a) make sure the torrent is seeded - most torrent feeds have a listing of "seeders" and "leechers"... seeders are people who share... leechers don't

when I download the new Naruto and Bleach episodes each week, each one usually has around 2000-6000 seeders, so I get 170MB in about 15mins... but those are obscene numbers...

It usually takes a good minute or so to get some correct clients... maybe try the new bittorrent package (4.0 has a new interface)?

#3 2005-04-14 19:39:17

kipper

I had this problem a while back with a BT client, can't remember which one. I found that they changed the api.  Upgrading worked for me.  Try upgrading to bittorrent-4 as phrakture suggested.  I think it's in the testing repo.

#4 2005-04-14 23:25:03

poetofnumbers
Website

Apparently there is this new concept call patience (pronounced patty-ence I believe), and when this patience is used in conjunction is BitTornado downloads, then BitTornado starts to find clients.

BitTorrent always seems to crash on me due to some apparent X errors.

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#5 2005-04-14 23:29:22

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

poetofnumbers wrote:

(pronounced patty-ence I believe)

pay-shence
ala answers dot com pronunciation: patience

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2005-04-15 15:20:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

poetofnumbers wrote:

Apparently there is this new concept call patience (pronounced patty-ence I believe), and when this patience is used in conjunction is BitTornado downloads, then BitTornado starts to find clients.

BitTorrent always seems to crash on me due to some apparent X errors.

heh, yeah it always takes a bit - it finds connections alot but rejects most of them... usually due to firewalling (the tracker reports all connections to the feed, then the client will try to connect to each one... most fail as people *love* firewalling their BT ports to piss me off lol )

I used the bittornado client exclusively until bittorrent 4 came out - I'd suggest checking it out... it runs smoother, though still crashes a bit every now and then

Board footer