You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-06 00:40:34

eskay

Samba/Winbind/PAM questions

Hi all

I've successfully set up Arch so that I can log in with a Windows user. Bu I have a few problems/questions.

1. Am I then supposed to see the user appear in /etc/passwd or /etc/group because it doesn't
2. How would I add this user to local groups? This might be answered when question 1 is answered
3. Even though I've got "winbind offline logon = yes" set in the samba configuration, I can't log in if I'm not wired up... again could be related to the above.

Thanks
- eskay

#2 2008-05-06 02:06:46

dwi

Re: Samba/Winbind/PAM questions

Hello,

Regarding #1: No they will not show up in /etc/passwd or /etc/group. You can use getent to query the list of users and groups that will be available on your system. 'getent passwd' and 'getent group'  are what you are looking for. You have to have nsswitch.conf correctly, or getent will not show the correct info.

#2. After #1 works, you can use gpasswd just fine. I have my domain user in wheel, gpasswd -a username wheel   .

#3 Hm. You might need to enable kerberos caching? or turn on the nscd. I don't use winbind at home, but tomorrow in the office I will play around with this to try to find out for sure.

Take care,

-chad

#3 2008-05-06 04:10:34

eskay

Stoopid me. I stopped the samba service and didn't restart it at one point and I also didn't have it in my rc.conf. Once I corrected that, getent started working.

For cached credentials to work I added cached_login option to the pam.d/service_name_file for winbind and I also started nscd. This started working after that.

#4 2008-05-07 00:56:57

dwi

awesome!

#5 2010-08-31 15:26:10

PreparationH67

eskay wrote:

Hi all

I've successfully set up Arch so that I can log in with a Windows user. Bu I have a few problems/questions.

1. Am I then supposed to see the user appear in /etc/passwd or /etc/group because it doesn't
2. How would I add this user to local groups? This might be answered when question 1 is answered
3. Even though I've got "winbind offline logon = yes" set in the samba configuration, I can't log in if I'm not wired up... again could be related to the above.

Thanks
- eskay

Did you use a guide to set it up? Can you post the link if you did? I'm trying to do this but I'm running into some problems.

#6 2010-08-31 16:08:58

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

PreparationH67, the threas is more than 2 years old. You are probably better off starting a new thread and linking to this one.

Also read the form etiquettes about necro posting from my sig.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer