You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-01 03:17:38

dbdii407
Website

Seperate X Sessions, Dragging Windows

Is there /any/ way I can still move one window to the other monitor, with seperate X sessions? I mean, I can drag the mouse to the other monitor. I'll probably be told that it doesn't work like that and it can't be done. Thought I would ask, though.

I ask this because the gnome panel "Window Selector" knows which window it is on the seperate section.

Last edited by dbdii407 (2010-09-01 04:13:01)

#2 2010-09-01 05:39:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Seperate X Sessions, Dragging Windows

It can't be done. You could try googling Xinerama, but its deprecated and didn't work all that well in the first place.

Moving applications between X sessions is a complicated problem. Much more complicated than inter-app communication. Some apps (like GIMP) are specifically written to enable it, but almost all the rest aren't.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-09-01 05:44:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Any particular reason you are running separate X sessions?

Most times the answer is because they have two monitors. If so, you can simply use xrandr to setup the monitors and then you can drag windows from 1 monitor to the other.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2010-09-01 13:42:30

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Inxsible wrote:

Most times the answer is because they have two monitors. If so, you can simply use xrandr to setup the monitors and then you can drag windows from 1 monitor to the other.

Or twinview via nvidia-settings if you're using nvidia smile

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-09-01 15:30:02

dbdii407
Website

Inxsible wrote:

I do believe I mentioned that I had two monitors, I just don't think I mentioned how many I have. smile

Last edited by dbdii407 (2010-09-01 15:31:59)

#6 2010-09-01 15:33:39

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

dbdii407 wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

I do believe I mentioned that I had two monitors, I just don't think I mentioned how many I have. I have 2 smile

If you read carefully, the question was not "how many monitors you have", but rather the reason why you were using separate X sessions.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2010-09-01 22:49:52

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

To add on to what Inxsible said, please google the difference between separate X sessions and Twinview.

#8 2010-09-01 22:56:30

Skripka

ngoonee wrote:

Or twinview via nvidia-settings if you're using nvidia smile

My name is Skripka, and I endorse this post.

#9 2010-09-02 05:50:10

yabasta

but twinview doesnt give two seperate xwindow sessions

#10 2010-09-02 05:51:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

yabasta wrote:

but twinview doesnt give two seperate xwindow sessions

Let's start from the beginning, then. Why do you think you need separate xwindow sessions? I used them for a while, and I know the benefits, but my usecase isn't yours.

Board footer