You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-31 10:50:57

Pierre
Developer
Website

Removing the "Local Mirror" article?

Hi all,

this is about http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Local_Mirror After threads like  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103902 I think this article should be deleted as it is no longer valid and we don't want people to create local mirrors from a single upstream mirror. We also had official mirrors using that script which lead us to problems.

What do you think? Should this be deleted or is it worth to "repair" it. (it already has two notes at the top but obviously nobody reads those)

#2 2010-08-31 10:58:40

karol
Archivist

Re: Removing the "Local Mirror" article?

An article on how to create a local mirror is a great idea, but to be useful it has to be up-to-date.

If it's a poll, +1 for removing.

#3 2010-08-31 15:27:13

pyther
Website

-1 on removing

However, I do believe most of the information should be wiped and there should be a brief paragraph stating what is recommended and linking to Network Shared Pacman Cache, pkgd, and the official mirror page.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#4 2010-08-31 16:31:15

Pierre
Developer
Website

OK, go ahead :-)

Btw: I maintain some kind of mirror sync script at https://git.archlinux.de/repo-tools.git/ But still: most users wont need it and we probably shouldn't advertise any specific mirror.

#5 2010-08-31 16:51:49

gtklocker

-1 from me. It's really useful.

#6 2010-08-31 20:39:13

pyther
Website

Pierre wrote:

Btw: I maintain some kind of mirror sync script at https://git.archlinux.de/repo-tools.git/ But still: most users wont need it and we probably shouldn't advertise any specific mirror.

Done - I made it very brief and to the point, feel free to fix it up (anyone).
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Local_Mirror

#7 2010-08-31 20:43:08

karol
Archivist

pyther wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Done - I made it very brief and to the point, feel free to fix it up (anyone).
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Local_Mirror

I love it :-)

#8 2010-09-09 17:29:21

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Hey There,

I'm responsible for one of the 2nd tier official mirrors (Işık University, Turkey) and we were using the old script we found on the wiki. Today I wanted to update the script with the new repository structure (lastsync changes etc) but because you have removed the document (i know i can look to the history but why i should i?) I can't find an up2date document.

I don't think what you've made is logical. Anyone who would like to create a new mirror should easily find the necessary document and a standardized script. Or Arch doesn't need any more mirrors? (really?)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?

#9 2010-09-09 17:51:15

karol
Archivist

T-u-N-i-X wrote:

Hey There,

I'm responsible for one of the 2nd tier official mirrors (Işık University, Turkey) and we were using the old script we found on the wiki. Today I wanted to update the script with the new repository structure (lastsync changes etc) but because you have removed the document (i know i can look to the history but why i should i?) I can't find an up2date document.

I don't think what you've made is logical. Anyone who would like to create a new mirror should easily find the necessary document and a standardized script. Or Arch doesn't need any more mirrors? (really?)

But that page was about a "private", local mirror and you're talking about official mirror, right? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dev … NewMirrors

#10 2010-09-09 17:53:31

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

yeah, the same page has a link in the purple box which links you to the article which explains how you can become an official mirror.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#11 2010-09-09 17:58:25

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Inxsible wrote:

yeah, the same page has a link in the purple box which links you to the article which explains how you can become an official mirror.

I already have an official mirror. The previous wiki article used to have the mirroring script that admins could use. Now it's tricky to find it. That's why I wrote my post above.

#12 2010-09-09 18:01:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Ok I am confused.

Arch now discourages users from creating local mirrors. But Arch would still like people to become official mirrors.

So what are you trying to do? You already have an official mirror, so are you trying to now create a local one for personal use?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#13 2010-09-09 18:05:24

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Inxsible wrote:

Ok I am confused.

Arch now discourages users from creating local mirrors. But Arch would still like people to become official mirrors.

So what are you trying to do? You already have an official mirror, so are you trying to now create a local one for personal use?

Periodically, I updated my mirror script with the latest changes in the wiki (by looking at the history). Now, there's no article like that, that one can find a mirror script. So the question is: "how can an admin find the necessary mirror script to mirror an 1-tier arch mirror? write his own script?" Because you don't leave any other options.

I guess I made myself clear this time.

#14 2010-09-09 18:07:15

T-u-N-i-X
Website

karol wrote:
T-u-N-i-X wrote:

Hey There,

But that page was about a "private", local mirror and you're talking about official mirror, right? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dev … NewMirrors

I believe, there's no difference btw. a private/local mirror and an official mirror in terms of the mirror script.

#15 2010-09-09 19:13:23

pointone
Wiki Admin

Pierre wrote:

T-u-N-i-X, have you explored this option? Perhaps the script could be modified and mentioned in the article.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#16 2010-09-09 19:32:07

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Yes but it lacks documentation and I need to read them to understand what they're actually doing.

For now, I just edited the old script to sync the whole mirror but I think new admins shouldn't need to search the forum for a mirror script and find that post you mention about.

#17 2010-09-09 23:55:40

pyther
Website

It is typically a very bad idea to sync a whole mirror. If you are creating a local mirror you should donate a decent amount of money to the mirror for the bandwidth that is being used. Roughly the repos are 20GB+ plus all the updates. Over the course of the year this adds up to a lot of bandwidth. Remember, that although you might have an unlimited cap, some one, typically has to pay the bills at the other end.

#18 2010-09-10 00:49:57

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

I agree with T-u-N-i-X that the page should be reinstated:
1) So official mirrors have a central location to maintain an appropriate script
2) It's too presumptuous to say that no-one except official mirrors should run their own mirrors. I run a mirror internally at home synced from my ISP's mirror (they are are Tier 2 mirror). It's unmetered usage for me, and doesn't cost my ISP since it's all pulling over their internal infrastructure.

#19 2010-09-10 08:59:18

T-u-N-i-X
Website

pyther wrote:

It is typically a very bad idea to sync a whole mirror. If you are creating a local mirror you should donate a decent amount of money to the mirror for the bandwidth that is being used. Roughly the repos are 20GB+ plus all the updates. Over the course of the year this adds up to a lot of bandwidth. Remember, that although you might have an unlimited cap, some one, typically has to pay the bills at the other end.

I think that's something that "the provider" (in this case, it's the mirror owner) should think about, not Arch community. You have to provide the necessary things to create a new mirror and leave everything else to them.

My only objection is for "not providing a standard script on a appropriate page" and removing everything while redirecting everyone to alternative scenarios. I understand and agree with your arguments about the bw usage for unnecessary local mirrors, but what I write is all about official mirrors. You're preventing new official mirrors with the current approach.

Last edited by T-u-N-i-X (2010-09-10 08:59:39)

#20 2010-09-10 11:42:12

pyther
Website

The script that was on the local mirror page did some logging and used rsync to download from the repository's. This article,  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dev … inistrator, explains everything that needs to be done to setup an official mirror: It even goes as far as to suggest the proper rsync commands. If someone really wanted to setup a local mirror they could use the info on that page.

#21 2010-09-10 11:50:12

T-u-N-i-X
Website

pyther wrote:

The script that was on the local mirror page did some logging and used rsync to download from the repository's. This article,  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dev … inistrator, explains everything that needs to be done to setup an official mirror: It even goes as far as to suggest the proper rsync commands. If someone really wanted to setup a local mirror they could use the info on that page.

Great. So that's the profile you expect from a system administrator. I'll add the script template to the wiki article instead.

#22 2010-09-10 11:52:35

T-u-N-i-X
Website

heh, i can't do it because of the permissions. smile

can someone please let me? i want to add the older script just incase someone needs it.

#23 2010-09-11 02:52:57

pointone
Wiki Admin

Please use the discussion feature to suggest changes to protected pages.

Also,

Pierre wrote:

The script from the wiki is broken and shouldn't be used by anybody.

Pierre, any additional comments?

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#24 2010-09-11 19:58:03

pyther
Website

T-u-N-i-X wrote:

can someone please let me? i want to add the older script just incase someone needs it.

There is no need for the old script. Just use rsync, why over complicate things?

#25 2010-09-11 21:00:42

T-u-N-i-X
Website

pyther wrote:
T-u-N-i-X wrote:

There is no need for the old script. Just use rsync, why over complicate things?

Why not provide samples? Why are you so against it? You can both give links both to the scripts in github and the old script. It's convenient for the mirror admins.

Board footer