You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-10 16:28:04

new2arch

[Solved] New hardware router results in no network

Hi all,

Recently bought a TP-LINK WR1043N to connect my home computers (Arch, W7) and a ADSL modem.
The Windows system works automatically but I'm having problem accessing the internet.

I cannot even configure the router from the Arch pc, have to do it thru the W7 system.

I don't have any static IP assigned to me.

-My rc.conf:

gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
Routes=(!gateway)

-My resolv.conf:

nameserver 192.168.2.1

- dhcpcd reveals:

..version 5.2.7 starting
..eth0: rebinding lease of 192.168.1.100
...eth0: acknowledged 192.168.1.100 from 192.168.1.1
..eth0: leased 192.168.1.100 7200 seconds

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by new2arch (2010-09-10 20:29:10)

#2 2010-09-10 16:36:50

yejun

Re: [Solved] New hardware router results in no network

nameserver 192.168.2.1 is wrong probably.

#3 2010-09-10 16:38:59

new2arch

Hm. I did not change it, not that can remember. What should it be then?

#4 2010-09-10 16:43:26

yejun

It's probably 192.168.1.1 or you can use 8.8.8.8.

#5 2010-09-10 16:46:55

new2arch

yejun wrote:

It's probably 192.168.1.1 or you can use 8.8.8.8.

TP-LINK's dhcp server was 192.168.1.1 but i changed it to 192.168.2.1 just to try it out (blindly).

Edit: If I change the nameserver to 192.168.1.1 and restart the network, 192.168.2.1 adds automatically in resolv.conf...

Last edited by new2arch (2010-09-10 16:49:52)

#6 2010-09-10 18:20:07

ewaller
Administrator

What does route say about the default gateway?  It looks like you try to set it to 192.168.0.1, which is not on your dhcp assigned subnet (the third octet in your class III address).  Make sure the default gateway points to the correct subnet, probably 192.168.1.1.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2010-09-10 18:37:37

new2arch

ewaller wrote:

What does route say about the default gateway?  It looks like you try to set it to 192.168.0.1, which is not on your dhcp assigned subnet (the third octet in your class III address).  Make sure the default gateway points to the correct subnet, probably 192.168.1.1.

Hi, thanks for reply.

In rc.conf, the default gateway is commented out by a "!".

Command route reveals:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway          Genmask           Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.2.0   *                   255.255.255.0      U      202    0      0   eth0
default         192.168.2.1       0.0.0.0              UG   202    0       0   eth0

#8 2010-09-10 19:00:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

Your dhcpcd output shows you are getting the ip address 192.168.1.100, so it is impossible for you to communicate with anything on the 192.168.2.0 network. Undo your change and try again.

General advice - don't try things blindly.

#9 2010-09-10 19:04:29

new2arch

tomk wrote:

Your dhcpcd output shows you are getting the ip address 192.168.1.100, so it is impossible for you to communicate with anything on the 192.168.2.0 network. Undo your change and try again.

General advice - don't try things blindly.

Hi, the 192.168.1.100 was given by the router.
Now I get 192.168.2.100.

I got little desperate and read up on some dhcp related issues in the forum and tried inserting some numbers manually.
How do I undo any incompatible changes?
Do I have to do something in the router?

Sorry for noob questions.

#10 2010-09-10 19:14:17

new2arch

Just one more thing, the reason I changed the default address for the router to 192.168.2.1 is that 192.168.1.1 is the default address for my DSL modem.

#11 2010-09-10 20:28:54

new2arch

Problem solved.
The thing I had to do was manually insert my ISP:s DNS-servers in the router.
The changes in the router reflect in resolv.conf; the DNS-servers are added automatically.
Funny the Windows machines configured those automatically but the Arch-box couldn't.

All well now.

Thank you all.

Last edited by new2arch (2010-09-10 20:30:43)

#12 2010-09-10 20:57:14

ewaller
Administrator

Okay, lets back up a second.

Where is the DSL modem connected in this system?  What you are trying to achieve is a local area network (LAN), presumably consisting of the router, the W7 box and the Arch box.  The DSL modem won't be part of this network -- The computer will only be able to talk to each other and to the router.

The DSL modem will be part of the Internet, a separate network from your LAN.  The router will connect to the DSL modem using a special port.  When the DSL modem is connected to that port, the router becomes part of two separate networks -- The LAN and the Internet.  The router can then be configured to route information between the two networks.  Machines on the LAN direct traffic for the Internet to the gateway address on the router.  The router then communicated via the Modem to the internet.  Anything in your system that starts with 192. is, by definition, part of a private LAN.

DSL modems can be kind of funny.  When they attach to the internet, they will receive an Internet address.  To make it easy to connect a single computer, they usually act as a router creating their own LAN on the back side.  That is why it is using the 192.168.1.1 address.  The Internet side of the DSL modem can be configured in a variety of ways.  Around these parts, the DSL modem invariably uses something called PPPoE.  It will connect to your ISP, and will automatically provide your credentials. 

If you do use PPPoE, your router can also manage the PPPoE connections. 

So.  Lets ignore the modem for a second.  Start by setting up a LAN and ensure your machines can ping each other and the router.  All of the addresses will be 192.168.x.y where x is the same for all machines on the network and y is unique for all machines on the network.

Then -- attach the DSL modem to the upstream port on the router.  Log into the router administration web site and find the page for controlling the upstream port.  Explore the settings and see if you can get things to work, but remember you are not dealing with the LAN side, you are dealing with the modem/Internet side.  The options should include methods of working with routers, cable modems, and DSL modems.  You may be ablle to get cable modem options to work.

If your DSL is like my DSL, you should proceed as follows.  First, you need to set the DSL modem to "Bridge" mode.  To do this, you need to connect a system directly to the modem and acquire an IP address straight from the modem.  Go to the modem's configuration web page and explore how to set it to bridge mode (as opposed to ??? I don';t know -- router mode maybe?)  In bridge mode, any login credential settings should be disabled (hidden? grayed?) because they will no longer be applicable.  Once in this mode, disconnect the modem from the computer and hook it back to the router upstream port.  Now from your LAN, log into the router and configure it for PPPoE using your ISP login credentials.

Simple, No?

Edit: we posted past each other :-)

Last edited by ewaller (2010-09-10 21:00:05)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#13 2010-09-10 21:17:00

new2arch

ewaller wrote:

Okay, lets back up a second.

Where is the DSL modem connected in this system?  What you are trying to achieve is a local area network (LAN), presumably consisting of the router, the W7 box and the Arch box.  The DSL modem won't be part of this network -- The computer will only be able to talk to each other and to the router.

The DSL modem will be part of the Internet, a separate network from your LAN.  The router will connect to the DSL modem using a special port.  When the DSL modem is connected to that port, the router becomes part of two separate networks -- The LAN and the Internet.  The router can then be configured to route information between the two networks.  Machines on the LAN direct traffic for the Internet to the gateway address on the router.  The router then communicated via the Modem to the internet.  Anything in your system that starts with 192. is, by definition, part of a private LAN.

DSL modems can be kind of funny.  When they attach to the internet, they will receive an Internet address.  To make it easy to connect a single computer, they usually act as a router creating their own LAN on the back side.  That is why it is using the 192.168.1.1 address.  The Internet side of the DSL modem can be configured in a variety of ways.  Around these parts, the DSL modem invariably uses something called PPPoE.  It will connect to your ISP, and will automatically provide your credentials. 

If you do use PPPoE, your router can also manage the PPPoE connections. 

So.  Lets ignore the modem for a second.  Start by setting up a LAN and ensure your machines can ping each other and the router.  All of the addresses will be 192.168.x.y where x is the same for all machines on the network and y is unique for all machines on the network.

Then -- attach the DSL modem to the upstream port on the router.  Log into the router administration web site and find the page for controlling the upstream port.  Explore the settings and see if you can get things to work, but remember you are not dealing with the LAN side, you are dealing with the modem/Internet side.  The options should include methods of working with routers, cable modems, and DSL modems.  You may be ablle to get cable modem options to work.

If your DSL is like my DSL, you should proceed as follows.  First, you need to set the DSL modem to "Bridge" mode.  To do this, you need to connect a system directly to the modem and acquire an IP address straight from the modem.  Go to the modem's configuration web page and explore how to set it to bridge mode (as opposed to ??? I don';t know -- router mode maybe?)  In bridge mode, any login credential settings should be disabled (hidden? grayed?) because they will no longer be applicable.  Once in this mode, disconnect the modem from the computer and hook it back to the router upstream port.  Now from your LAN, log into the router and configure it for PPPoE using your ISP login credentials.

Simple, No?

Edit: we posted past each other :-)

Hi Ewaller, thanks for the mini-lesson (not so mini for me actually!) on how routers and network work together. I appreciate it.
My ISP does not allow me to login to my modem, nor do they use PPPoE last time I checked with them.
My modem actually has a built-in router but it is severely crippled, more or less disabled by my ISP.

Board footer