You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-16 17:23:30

miro_007
Member
Registered: 2010-09-14
Posts: 2

spam in the wiki

Hello,
the "AUR" wiki page contained a spam link at the bottom. I've changed the "AUR" page so it redirects to the "Arch User Repository" article. My question is: Is this ok or should i report it anywhere else?

Offline

#2 2010-09-16 18:09:20

codycarey
Member
Registered: 2009-08-21
Posts: 154

Re: spam in the wiki

Makes perfect sense for it to be a redirect.

Offline

#3 2010-09-16 18:14:24

drcouzelis
Member
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 2009-11-09
Posts: 3,471
Website

Re: spam in the wiki

Spam happens. I seem to remember an Arch wiki page of users who were banned for spamming, but I can't seem to find it. It seems appropriate to add the spammer's username to it, if it isn't there already.

Does anyone else know where it is?

Offline

#4 2010-09-16 18:21:15

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,427

Re: spam in the wiki

drcouzelis wrote:

Spam happens. I seem to remember an Arch wiki page of users who were banned for spamming, but I can't seem to find it. It seems appropriate to add the spammer's username to it, if it isn't there already.

Does anyone else know where it is?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Spammers

Offline

#5 2010-09-16 18:21:30

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 18,769
Website

Re: spam in the wiki

Please add them here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Spammers

# edit LOL - karol too fast again...

Last edited by jasonwryan (2010-09-16 18:22:25)


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#6 2010-09-16 18:25:31

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,427

Re: spam in the wiki

Seems like https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … ldid=85797 it got added by EveBirdsell
Next time, simply undo any damaging changes.

Edit: Added to the Spammers wiki page.

Last edited by karol (2010-09-16 18:29:51)

Offline

#7 2010-09-16 18:54:59

Pierre
Developer
From: Bonn
Registered: 2004-07-05
Posts: 1,950
Website

Re: spam in the wiki

For the record: you could just send me al ist of the urls that the spammer has posted and I can revert all changes that include that url.

And great, looks like my questions that pop up on registration are way too easy. :-(

Offline

#8 2010-09-16 19:05:25

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,427

Re: spam in the wiki

Pierre wrote:

And great, looks like my questions that pop up on registration are way too easy. :-(

I'm not sure if this is the correct English but "One swallow doesn't make a summer". Let's wait a bit more before raising the bar.
I don't think that even human-based verification can help. If you want an account, e-mail me and we'll have a short talk before I allow you in, after which you can turn berserk and spam the wiki / forums etc.

Offline

#9 2010-09-16 19:12:33

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: spam in the wiki

karol wrote:
Pierre wrote:

And great, looks like my questions that pop up on registration are way too easy. :-(

I'm not sure if this is the correct English but "One swallow doesn't make a summer".

That's what she said.

(ouch, i really should delete this one)


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#10 2010-09-16 19:15:26

codycarey
Member
Registered: 2009-08-21
Posts: 154

Re: spam in the wiki

Pierre wrote:

And great, looks like my questions that pop up on registration are way too easy. :-(

Are you just using a set list of questions? I'd think the question method is easier to defeat than the CAPTCHA.

Personally I like the idea of the verification systems which show the user an image and ask them to type or select from a list what is shown in the image. You see a picture of a cat laying on the floor and "cat" is the appropriate answer.

Last edited by codycarey (2010-09-16 19:16:14)

Offline

#11 2010-09-16 19:15:38

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,427

Re: spam in the wiki

litemotiv wrote:
karol wrote:
Pierre wrote:

And great, looks like my questions that pop up on registration are way too easy. :-(

I'm not sure if this is the correct English but "One swallow doesn't make a summer".

That's what she said.

(ouch, i really should delete this one)

LOL
Thanks for lightening the mood :-)

Offline

#12 2010-09-16 22:05:19

bones
Member
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2006-03-24
Posts: 321
Website

Re: spam in the wiki

I have an idea, It may not be a good one, it's just a thought smile
What if something like a certain number of posts in the forum was required before you could get into the guts of the wiki. It could be something like 2 or 3 posts at least. I'm sure a spammer wouldn't bother trying if they had to go to that trouble. Don't really know if something like that would work or even if it could be implemented.
OK! I'll go and run away now tongue


"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline

#13 2010-09-16 22:32:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow
From: Chicago
Registered: 2008-06-09
Posts: 9,071

Re: spam in the wiki

nope AFAIK, fluxBB does not have a built in wiki hook that would allow for matching the user names. In fact you can have different user names on the forum and on the wiki. So there is no way you can do that unless you modify the FluxBB code to do that -- which is something the devs are not keen on as it hampers the upgrades.


Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Offline

#14 2010-09-16 22:43:32

bones
Member
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2006-03-24
Posts: 321
Website

Re: spam in the wiki

Inxsible wrote:

nope AFAIK, fluxBB does not have a built in wiki hook that would allow for matching the user names. In fact you can have different user names on the forum and on the wiki. So there is no way you can do that unless you modify the FluxBB code to do that -- which is something the devs are not keen on as it hampers the upgrades.

You right, it was just a pie in the sky idea. Oh well! Back to the think tank


"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline

#15 2010-09-16 23:00:24

chris-kun
Member
From: SF Bay Area
Registered: 2010-09-07
Posts: 235
Website

Re: spam in the wiki

Pierre wrote:

For the record: you could just send me al ist of the urls that the spammer has posted and I can revert all changes that include that url.

And great, looks like my questions that pop up on registration are way too easy. :-(

told ya so =P


[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you." -- Bregol

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB