You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-19 14:53:31

myrlin

LAN File Sharing - Advice Needed

I have a very simple LAN - a Netgear ADSL router with a desktop connected using a wired ethernet connection, and a laptop (EeePC) which is sometimes connected via ethernet and sometime by wireless.

The desktop runs OpenSuSE (11.1) and the  laptop is running Arch. We are a Microsoft-free zone!

Until recently, the laptop ran OpenSuSE as well, and I networked the two machines using NFS and lots of trial and error.

Having just replaced the OS on the laptop with Arch (best thing I ever did!) I would appreciate any views on the best way to re-establish networking between the two machines. Is NFS the best solution, or Samba, or Avahi, or........

It's all a bit of a mystery to me, and I would like make the best decision.

Thanks in advance

#2 2010-09-19 14:57:42

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: LAN File Sharing - Advice Needed

I would suggest samba since it's so easy and in my experience faster than nfs.  See the samba wiki page.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2010-09-19 17:15:25

kgas

for simple file sharing my vote goes to quickserve

#4 2010-09-19 18:25:05

ewaller
Administrator

I would use sshfs.
It uses SSH to establish a SFTP connection between the systems.  From there it uses FUSE to abstract the sftp session to be a file system which is mounted to a directory in your file system.

In this house I've Windows, Linux and OS/x.  They all play nicely using sshfs.  Between this and Avahi, life is good in the interoperability department.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2010-09-20 10:41:35

myrlin

Thanks for your excellent advice, everyone.

Board footer