You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-20 17:38:17

KaiZ

Complete freeze with no image after booting

Sometimes, after I boot up Arch, I seem to be getting no image and the system freezes completely and have to reboot manually on the PC tower. This doesn't happen every time, and there is also something else I should mention...

When this is going to happen, when the boot up screen shows up (the one with Starting daemons info and such), it changes to a bigger resolution (1680x1050 I believe, which is my monitor's native resolution). If it doesn't do the change resolution thing during the boot process, then it will boot up just fine... Which leads me to believe that the problem may come from the ATI Catalyst drivers.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
2GB of RAM
XFX HD 5770 1GB

#2 2010-09-20 17:43:06

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Complete freeze with no image after booting

you probably need to disable KMS. Search the forums, there are a bunch of threads on it depending on your video drivers.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-09-20 22:01:29

xaber

Re: Complete freeze with no image after booting

At first sight yes, maybe the problem is the Ati driver (I just solved a similar problem yesterday on an Ubuntu machine: X freezed. I disabled the Catalyst drivers and everything worked out).
But makes me think, is that you are saying that the machine freezes at boot phase, when X is not running yet, am I right?
If so, it would be really strange that the drivers affect the booting phase.

Anyway, you should try disabling them and making a bunch of rebbots to see if this worked.

Good luck!

Board footer