You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-22 14:45:28

timm

Using ssh to tunnel from server on public wireless

I have a server on a public wireless network with an unrouteable address (Remote). (yes, I know this is strange) I don't have any way to access the public router to direct connections to Remote, so any initiation has to come from that machine.  I need to connect Remote to my office server (Office) so I can move files back and forth, and ideally, I would like to connect to an application on Remote over the net.  The app has a browser interface. 

I'm thinking that for at least part of this, I can create an ssh tunnel from Remote to Office.  I'd have to set it up to stay alive when dormant, and will also have to have a mechanism for checking if it went down and to re-initiate the tunnel from Remote if that happens.

I've done some simple ssh tunneling for a remote desktop connection between 2 windows machines, but I'm not sure if what I'm proposing here is doable.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to accomplish this, or alternatives.

#2 2010-09-22 15:00:40

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Using ssh to tunnel from server on public wireless

I don't have a fully formed plan, but here are my thoughts:

If the system can receive email, then write something that monitors inbound emails for a trigger message, including the address to which to connect.

As to what you are trying to do, google "ssh reverse channel".  This site describes what I think you are trying to do: http://www.howtoforge.com/reverse-ssh-tunneling

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2010-09-22 18:01:10

codycarey

Re: Using ssh to tunnel from server on public wireless

Ewaller is right, combine that with a bash while loop to bring it back up if the connection drops for some reason.

Board footer