You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-27 17:07:21

tropicalicecube

[SOLVED] mount.nfs: no route to host - @ boot; works fine afterwards.

Hi Communty,

First post here; a trivial issue, I am otherwise thrilled by my Arch experience.

-Server is one of those small home-intended NAS, ip-fixed to a WRT54 router.
-Client is basic, off-the-shelf workstation, running up-to-date Arch with e16 as WM, no fixed swap 'cause I have 3g of Ram. Network is OK, IP s fixed too.

-The server is declared in my /etc/hosts.

-I followed the Client part of http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nfs and it just work great while doing:

sudo mount mynas:/path/to/exported/folder /home/me/nas

I then built an alias in .bashrc so to just type NAS it would do the same. Shorter! I love aliases!

This all must be healthy because there is no need for me to ever declare -t nfs or the actual IP; the output of -v shows it to be mounted in vers=3 protocol.

Then, I set it up in /etc/fstab as

mynas:/path/to/exported/folder  /home/me/nas      nfs     defaults        1       2

Nevertheless... At boot time
[which I was able to examine thanks to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis … t_messages ]

the system reports as in (I guess) the network is down: no route to host

Now, maybe I borked the proper order of asking/starting stuff?
In my rc.conf, the daemons fired in the following order

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus network avahi-daemon rpcbind avahi-dnsconfd nfs-common netfs cups crond sshd @gpm alsa bluetooth)

(I am not even sure I need _all_ of them... There are some parts where I must confess I follow the HowTo's a bit blindly)

I, too, confess that I didn't touch anything in nfs-common.conf - sorry but it's a bit hairy for me. And it is working, anyway, but for the start-up thingie...
in hosts.allow, I have set up rpcbind: ALL for the moment.

ps -A report nfsiod, rpcbind and rpc.statd running

Any illumination anyone?

Cheers!
Jean-Philippe

Last edited by tropicalicecube (2010-10-04 06:55:40)

#2 2010-09-29 07:25:46

aksdb

Re: [SOLVED] mount.nfs: no route to host - @ boot; works fine afterwards.

I have no solution but wanted to let you know, that I suffer from the same problem for a while now. I think it started around Linux 2.6.33 or .32.

#3 2010-09-29 07:45:21

RaisedFist
Website

you should put the nfs-common daemon after netfs in DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf

#4 2010-10-04 07:03:18

tropicalicecube

SOLVED

Thanks community.

It works now by giving 'time' to the network to gather its thoughts, shake hands with all parties, rub their eyes while awakening, you got the picture smile

My current order of things in /etc/rc.conf is:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network rpc-bind nfs-common dbus cups crond sshd alsa bluetooth netfs)

As you'll notice, there are no friendly @someservice backgrounding tricks.. Because I need my boot up process to be kinda slow.
Or I'd have to manually mount the thing later.

Any advice on needed/unneeded, or better order to get things started still welcome, of course.

Cheers
Jean-Philippe

Last edited by tropicalicecube (2010-10-04 07:04:38)

Board footer