You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-30 23:18:06

enyaw_ecurb

Best solution for secure home-network filesharing?

Hi there,

currently I am trying to setup my home-server and in need for a file-sharing solution. It should be a) fast and b) secure. The network contains a handful of clients, both windows and linux.

Nfsv4: I tried it, worked perfect, got transfer speeds at the edge of the possible for my gbit-lan, but it seems that authentification is not really easy to implement.
sshfs: Tried, authentification is easy and good, but transfer speed was significantly less than nfs, probably due to encryption.
samba: Tried, with different setup though, but transfer speed was horrible. Don't know about possible authentification mechanism but suspect they will be a pain to setup.
Anything else? Did I miss anything?

Personally I would like to use nfs but I don't want to setup kerberus for the few pcs. Any help appreciated!

#2 2010-10-02 15:47:08

pyther
Website

Re: Best solution for secure home-network filesharing?

sshfs is the best if you really need a secure connection. Otherwise I would use samba if you need basic authentication.

With samba you need a local user and then you run smbpasswd -a newlocaluser to set the user's password for samba. The samba and local machine password can be different.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

Board footer