You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-22 17:14:23

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Which ftp daemon do you use?

As a corollary to cactus's post about http daemons, I'm wondering about ftp setups...

I'd like something small and fast - similar to thttpd (or lighttpd)... but haven't been able to find anything that great - has anyone tried bftpd?

#2 2005-04-22 17:32:03

mico

Re: Which ftp daemon do you use?

I use vsftpd. It has all features I need and it's supposed to be very secure wink

To tell the truth, I never checked any others. It could be interesting to see how ftp daemons differ.

#3 2005-04-22 18:10:22

lucke

If you don't need a very sophisticated setup, I'd go for vsftpd (seems the best in the terms of speed, as well as security). Pureftpd is also nice, it's a bit more configurable (for example it has a very nice virtual user configuration tools - moreover, I couldn't get virtual users to work in vsftpd on Arch, due to some pam/db issues) and verbose on some things (verbose login dialog, possibility to check current dl rate/ul rate/open files of logged users).

Well, at least those are my ftpds of choice :-)

#4 2005-04-22 18:26:47

kleptophobiac

I use proftpd and apache, as they seem classic.

I've never bothered trying out anything else because these have never failed my needs.

#5 2005-04-22 20:57:49

Stinky

I use pure-ftpd.  Very fast.  Lots of features.  Easy to configure.  And supposedly, one of the most secure ftp servers.

#6 2005-04-22 21:09:58

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I don't. ftp is evil. Both from a protocol standpoint, and from an implementation standpoint. Poor network admins that have to run ftp. I feel for them.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2005-04-22 21:18:15

darkcoder

cactus wrote:

I don't. ftp is evil. Both from a protocol standpoint, and from an implementation standpoint. Poor network admins that have to run ftp. I feel for them.

Depends, ftp is a very widely use protocol, specially when providing web space.  We have 2 servers, one Windows with IIS, and another Linux.  Both provide ftp as an option (not the only one) to upload home pages.  Both has anonymous disabled.

My Linux servers use proftpd since it provides easy way for virtual domains.  I haven't found a way on vsftpd for that (ip required).  Pure-Ftpd looks good too, but haven't played with it.

#8 2005-04-22 22:44:34

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I plan on using it for a little "centralized" data setup - thought I guess I could always run subversion or something like that...

#9 2005-04-22 23:15:30

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

phrakture wrote:

I plan on using it for a little "centralized" data setup - thought I guess I could always run subversion or something like that...

Maybe if you detailed how you were going to use it, a suitable alternative might jump out to someone in the community.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#10 2005-04-22 23:20:38

i3839

rsync?

#11 2005-04-23 01:31:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

well... basically I want a better way to do what I usually do with email... "hmmm I might use file X somewhere else", so I open up gmail and mail it to myself so I can accessit anywhere...
I was going to use ftp, because it'd be pretty easy... but something like svn would work too...

#12 2005-04-23 01:39:03

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

hmm. I achieve similar results with ssh/scp/sftp and a web dir.
The bonus is that I can snag files through just about any firewall.

You could probably use an apache Auth protected https dir, and some type of file upload script if you are behind a firewall allowing only http traffic (blocked ssh).

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#13 2005-04-23 12:24:17

MEfreak

lucke wrote:

moreover, I couldn't get virtual users to work in vsftpd on Arch, due to some pam/db issues

Same here. There are some recent posts on gentoo forums indicating the problem isn't limited to Arch. Wonder if they have a fix yet...

In any case, I use vsftpd for my ftp server needs.

Board footer