You are not logged in.

#976 2010-10-11 13:57:08

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: uzbl. A browser that adheres to the unix philosophy.

TaylanUB wrote:
hatten wrote:
fsckd wrote:

Insert mode seems to be "pass key events directly to webkit"; better called pass-through mode.

So it's "impossible" (read not worth the effort)?

I was going to correct you guys earlier but thought you probably know this already:

Uzbl is still aware of all keypresses while in insert-mode, and can act upon them. In the default config, there's the @ibind variable, which works as an alias for the command to bind insert-mode keys.
Also, binding keys 'globally' (@bind in default config) makes them work in all modes including insert. On the other hand, there's @cbind for command-mode, and most keys are bound with that one, and that's why they don't work in insert-mode.

If it would be impossible for Uzbl to catch keys while in insert-mode, we would have no way to exit it! wink

Additional info, because my -v switch is on today:

Any number of modes can be crafted with Uzbl's config system, and this insert-mode we're talking about is just one of the default ones in the default config. What makes insert-mode work like it does (pass keys to webkit) is just that when you enter it, it sets the variable "forward_keys" to 1 (true/enabled)

So it's not possible to say "here, take this and pass through it"?

Is it possible to have an @ibind that only works in insert mode?, That way you can make some vim-like editing (though maybe with ctrl pressed, making it a little emacsy-like)

Another idea to make it work, couldn't you just have a bind that launches vim, and upon vim exiting, copy the contents of the tmp file into the copy-paste buffer, and paste it into the text browser currently being edited.

#977 2010-10-11 17:02:24

TaylanUB

hatten wrote:

I don't think there's currently a way to tell uzbl to directly send a keypress to webkit.
Though JavaScript can be used for such things.

Is it possible to have an @ibind that only works in insert mode?, That way you can make some vim-like editing (though maybe with ctrl pressed, making it a little emacsy-like)

Your question doesn't really make sense to me. I either don't understand it, or (more likely) you got something wrong.
I recommend studying the uzbl config thoroughly. (If you use uzbl, you should have the time. tongue)

Keybinds are the job of the event manager. It can be told to apply binds only to specific modes. The uzbl command 'request' is used to give a command to the event manager. Examples:
request BIND keyname = uzbl command
request MODE_BIND modelist keyname = uzbl command

'modelist' looks like "mode1,mode2,-mode3". See the minus before mode3; it means excluding that mode.
"global" is accepted as a mode too, so for example one can use "global,-insert" which means all except insert-mode.
If you use "global" on its own, it's the same thing as using the BIND request.

@ibind is an alias (actually just variable) for "request MODE_BIND insert". (You can see in the config that it's being set to that.)
So keys being bound with @ibind only work in insert-mode.

I'm guessing that you want an extra mode with keybinds that edit what you're writing in a textarea. That's hard because the only way for uzbl to access the content of text areas is through JavaScript.
See post #847 in this thread; the part starting with "For teh lulz:".

Another idea to make it work, couldn't you just have a bind that launches vim, and upon vim exiting, copy the contents of the tmp file into the copy-paste buffer, and paste it into the text browser currently being edited.

There used to be an 'external_edit.sh' script, but it's long broken.
Currently, 'formfiller.sh' tries to do that (with its 'edit once' function) but it doesn't seem very good. If you'll open the script, you should see the giant chunks of JavaScript mess.

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

#978 2010-10-11 17:22:11

gotmor
Website

TaylanUB wrote:
hatten wrote:

There used to be an 'external_edit.sh' script, but it's long broken.
Currently, 'formfiller.sh' tries to do that (with its 'edit once' function) but it doesn't seem very good. If you'll open the script, you should see the giant chunks of JavaScript mess.

Editing in an external editor is back from death, see here:  http://www.uzbl.org/wiki/external_editor

#979 2010-10-11 18:05:45

hatten

It works, sometimes, I'm doing my best to track down the bugs.

Sometimes it doesn't enter what I write, I'm currently trying to figure out what triggers it.
I have to hold down E for ~2 seconds for it to spawn (longer means several windows).

Using default settings.

#980 2010-10-15 07:43:04

zandgreen

Hello, I'm experiencing a problem using Google-Translator with uzbl-browser. When I try to translate a text from Arabic into English it gives me

ظ... ظ † Ù ‡ Ø § Ø ¬ Ù ‡ Ø § Ù إلينا يا § ظ "Ø ¹ ش ، الاستخدام ¯ Ø © Ø ¹ Ø ¯ ¯ Ø

instead of:

منهاجها في العقيدة عدد 

Does anyone have an idea?
P.S. I have all the necessary arabic fonts installed (chromium translates the same pattern without a problem)
Maybe connected: when opening a document in cyrillic using UTF without BOM, Uzbl-browser doesn't display letters correctly.

#981 2010-10-15 12:04:30

TaylanUB

Works fine here.

You might want to try changing the variable "default_encoding", although it works for me even if i set it to different things on purpose, so that's probably not it.

Do you have all Xorg font packages installed? Like xorg-fonts-misc, xorg-fonts-encodings, xorg-fonts-alias...

Maybe your ~/.fonts.conf file is related. You can read in the Arch Wiki about that file.

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

#982 2010-10-15 19:04:40

zandgreen

@TaylanUB:

Forgot to mention, I have everything installed and working under Firefox or Chromium though doesn't work correctly under Uzbl. All mentioned packages (xorg-fonts-misc, xorg-fonts-encodings, xorg-fonts-alias...) are properly installed.

Here is my .fonts.conf:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
<const>rgb</const>
</edit>
</match>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
<bool>true</bool> 
</edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
    <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
        <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>                
</match>

#983 2010-10-15 19:15:56

zandgreen

And my rc.conf:

LOCALE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Paris"
KEYMAP="ru"
CONSOLEFONT="cyr-sun16"
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

Maybe CONSOLEFONT variable has to do something.

#984 2010-10-15 19:34:32

zandgreen

One more thing: when I try to translate from English to Arabic it works fine, but when I try to work translation from Arabic to English it gives mixed up characters.

#985 2010-10-16 09:02:54

hatten

Where do I report bugs about the external editor script?

I cannot enter messages longer than 56 characters.

#986 2010-10-16 11:17:21

zandgreen

@hatten:

maybe here: http://www.uzbl.org/bugs/

#987 2010-12-06 10:20:44

specnaz

Hello!
Since this is the biggest thread dedicated to uzbl browser I decided to pitch in.
I've a simple question how to disable storage of Html client side Database with uzbl ??
For example here

http://webkit.org/demos/sticky-notes/

It stores database in ~/.local/share/webkit/databases.
It doesn't notify about such behavior, thus I want to disable it.
Well, I suppose turnng off java-script would do the trick, but is there any other way.

Recitar! Mentre preso dal delirio, non so più quel che dico, e quel che faccio! Eppur èd'uopo, sforzati!
Bah! Sei tu forse un uom?
Tu se' Pagliaccio!

#988 2010-12-09 10:01:43

ksira

I am having problems getting a binding to work in insert mode.

I want to double tap 'i' and escape insert mode. I tried:

@ibind      ii        = event ESCAPE

Even a single 'i' doesn't even work i.e.

@ibind      i        = event ESCAPE

The default <Ctrl>[ does. I am using the colemak layout if that means anything.
Anyone know what is the problem?

#989 2010-12-10 19:45:25

TaylanUB

ksira,

Binding a normal letter to escape means that you won't ever be able to type it as text, so you probably don't want that.

I just tried, and binding normal letter keys for insert mode doesn't seem to work...

~ Albert Einstein

#990 2010-12-10 19:55:51

ksira

Actually it is what I want. I use that feature in vim because you never really type two 'i's in a row and it is a really quick way to escape insert mode. When I had a QWERTY layout I used 'kj' because there are not many words that have that letter combo.

Ohh well, I suppose it's a little anal to expect your web browser to behave exactly like an the most awesome text editor, IMHO, of all time.

#991 2010-12-12 00:56:26

dalingrin

Does anyone have a working solution to follow links via keyboard in a new tab?
It seems the previous solutions don't work on a current build of uzbl.

Ultimately I want to be able to follow the link in the current windows(as it is now), follow a link in a new tab, and follow a link in a new tab in the background. Being able to open a tab in the background is essential for me.

#992 2011-01-05 04:08:46

Reasons

What would it take to have bookmark searching work with the statusbar? IMO it seems kind of silly to rely on dmenu to load from history or a bookmark but then use the statusbar to type in a new url. Would be nice to just use the statusbar.

#993 2011-01-05 20:42:04

TaylanUB

Reasons wrote:

What would it take to have bookmark searching work with the statusbar? IMO it seems kind of silly to rely on dmenu to load from history or a bookmark but then use the statusbar to type in a new url. Would be nice to just use the statusbar.

The status bar is just that, a status bar; you can just do a little bit of typing in it.
dmenu is a menu application built to be able to handle giant selection lists.

You can use dmenu to load URIs if you want, learn how to use it. (Tip: "dmenu < /dev/null")
You _could_ also use the status bar to load bookmarks. Selecting bookmarks by an identifier you have to memorize and type in like an URI is easy to implement; tab-completion alike hinting (even as-you-type completion-options should be possible) would probably need some event manager hacking.

~ Albert Einstein

#994 2011-01-08 22:34:25

Onyros

Is there anything like smooth scrolling in uzbl?

BTW, I hadn't updated uzbl for a while and still had a cool script which enabled us to pan pages, I think it was called mouse_pan.js. From what I've seen from the wiki, it's no longer working. Anyone got it updated?

Thanks!

#995 2011-02-06 23:03:42

specnaz

Having spent some time with uzbl, uzbl-tabbed to be exact, I see no bloody sense in it. It's heavy.
Runnig uzbl spawns:  uzbl-event-manager, uzbl-cookie-manager, uzbl-core and of course uzbl-tabbed.
This combined isn't quite as lite as one might expect judging by spartan interface. Uzbl eats more memory cold start than midori - and with midori one doesn't have to spend weekend figuring things out.
What i'm tring to say that uzbl-tabbed should be killed off.
For me it's to big.
Tabs should be hardwired into uzbl-core.

Recitar! Mentre preso dal delirio, non so più quel che dico, e quel che faccio! Eppur èd'uopo, sforzati!
Tu se' Pagliaccio!

#996 2011-02-06 23:43:21

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

specnaz - you are posting in the Community Contribution forum: if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread, don't post anything. Ranting and whinging is not acceptable behaviour - nor is trolling. Don't do it again.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … o_Trolling

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#997 2011-02-08 15:30:38

specnaz

jasonwryan wrote:

specnaz - you are posting in the Community Contribution forum: if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread, don't post anything. Ranting and whinging is not acceptable behaviour - nor is trolling. Don't do it again.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … o_Trolling

I stand corrected. I also want to point out that trolling, ranting nor whining was not my intention. What's more, I took liberty and compared Uzbl with browser which is similar when it comes to underpinnings, and aforementioned post was may conclusion.
Cheers.

Tu se' Pagliaccio!

#998 2011-02-09 05:44:57

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

specnaz wrote:

I stand corrected. I also want to point out that trolling, ranting nor whining was not my intention. What's more, I took liberty and compared Uzbl with browser which is similar when it comes to underpinnings, and aforementioned post was may conclusion.
Cheers.

Yes, a software may not be the best available in a particular area (as you mention memory consumption) but that does not mean it has to be "killed off". Please respect the hard work that people have put in. If all heavy memory using apps were killed off, there would be no kde or gnome, but I digress.

btw, uzbl does not require uzbl-tabbed. you can use uzbl without it, but you won't get the tabs and you will have to start multiple instance of uzbl if you want to access multiple web-sites

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#999 2011-02-09 10:39:29

jac
Website

I think specnaz does not mean the whole project should be killed, but rather that the uzbl-tabbed functionality be merged in with uzbl-core. That kind of fights the reasons uzbl was created, however. I think in this thread one of the main people behind uzbl mentions that if he were to do it again, tabbing and a few other things would indeed be built into it as it has become more cumbersome to keep them split apart than not.

specnaz: Have you tried jumanji? I know a lot of people who like uzbl also liked jumanji, and if I remember right it has tabbed functionality built into it's core.

Last edited by jac (2011-02-09 10:41:03)

#1000 2011-02-25 13:30:35

M_ller
Website

So uzbl is temporary dead or what?
I must say that even though I only installed it a few days ago, it has been a very pleasent experience.

Board footer