You are not logged in.

#1 2002-11-12 15:13:00

sarah31
Website

Dial-up

i don't have it. i don't want it. but i know a few people who wanted to use Arch, or at least try it out, that had no end of trouble with it. Can we please get better support for this at install time? Granted one person i know probably was not ready for Arch but another i know was and had no end of trouble with it. There are a few people out there that have no choice in their service and it would be nice to accomodate them.

just my few cents.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#2 2002-11-12 22:17:44

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: Dial-up

The people who want more dial-up support will have to kick in the time/effort to get there.  I don't use dial-up, so I can't be expected to test it.  In fact, I have no way to test it anyway.

#3 2002-11-13 00:33:30

sarah31
Website

okay i will try and round up some dial up folks. ( I could test it but i don't have a modem myself)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2002-11-13 19:33:02

Rouslan

well, since I constantly use ppp dial up, I can help you out guys. I had no problems with it in ArchLInux actually. Ask me and I'll try my best to help you! wink

Rouslan

#5 2002-11-13 20:58:49

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Awesome!  Do you think you could do a little write-up on the steps you took to get dial-up working?  Then I can add it the docs page, or stick it right in the official docs.

#6 2002-11-14 04:44:11

Rouslan

I'll drop the document in yours ftp.archlinux.org/incoming as soon as it will be ready. I plan to be done with it on this weekend. smile

Rouslan

#7 2002-11-16 17:45:29

Rouslan

apeiro, I'm afraid my PPP for Arch document looks like a short versrsion of the official PPP-HOWTO smile

Rouslan

#8 2002-11-19 07:34:24

Ghost Dawg

Well I found one problem if AL is going to have GCC 3.2. All dialup users, including myself, have a Winmodem  :? , then there is a compatibility problem. At least with my Lucent winmodem and GCC 3.2.

The current drivers for Lucent modems will not work. Do anyone know of a work around for this? Someone once mention to recompile the modem drivers, but I have no idea on doing that!

Just a thought.

Drink Pepsi, the new generation, get Linux!

#9 2002-11-19 15:03:06

Rouslan

Ghost Dawg: yes, I guess you will have to reinstall you drivers again, this should solve the problem. Next time you are doing an upgrade, buy an external modem smile the chippest ones are around $50 in Staples I think. By the way, whould you like to read and make any corrections in ppp for Arch howto? If you do, it is on ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/incoming . The file name is ArchLinux-PPP-HOWTO-2 , if I'm not mistaking. Hope you have no more problems with your modem and like the ppp howto smile

Rouslan

#10 2002-11-20 02:17:14

Ghost Dawg

Ok, thnx. I will look into the archppp docs. Yes I need a real modem, but up till now, winmodem is working with the correct drivers!  lol

Drink Pepsi, the new generation, get Linux!

#11 2002-12-23 00:14:45

zen_guerrilla

Although the ArchLinux-PPP-HOWTO is very good I' d suggest using debian' s ppp-config & pon/poff package (shell scripts) for setting up & using multiple connections.  I use arch for a couple of hours now and didn't have the chance to get familiar with pacman & abs to make a pkg myself so till I become a 'real' archer could someone else pls make it ?

.:: zen ::.

#12 2002-12-23 03:27:36

BluPhoenyx

Ok, I'm in the process of trying AL (once downloaded) so I can't yet guarantee absolutely that this info will be useful, although I see no reasons why not. Also, this info is mostly for folks who spend more time in X than in the console. And yes, I know it's a little late for the original question. smile

First, both Gnome and KDE have dialup managers which will help configure modem setup, at least they did on other distros. I'm not real familiar with the Gnome version but the KDE version is pretty easy to use. I won't go into more detail since I don't use either desktop (although I use some apps.)

For those who prefer an alternative to the common GUI/desktop dialers there is XISP, which is what I use. Xisp is a very configurable, GUI oriented program with multiple dialup setups and handles most if not all possible ISP login methods. You can create multiple accounts for seperate ISP's, multiple accounts for the same ISP with different numbers or a multi-number account for the same ISP to dial alternate numbers. The standard window is fairly small yet displays useful info such as online status, connect speed and protocols (if any) as well as IP number assigned by the ISP and time online and connect/disconnect buttons.

You can get it here... (I am not associated with the program or author)
   http://xisp.hellug.gr/

One drawback to the GUI dialup system and perhaps the most important for many users, if you exit the X session which started the dialup you lose the connection. This may be unimportant to you unless you need a permanent connection, perhaps as an ISP NAT server for your local network. Of course there are ways around even this limitation if you are creative enough. Perhaps a VNC server running the program. In this case, security may be an issue but I can't say for sure as this depends on your system.

BluPhoenyx

Board footer