You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-15 15:31:02

puuff

Best security solution for a Desktop Environment?

Hi!

I was thinking of implement some security measures next time I reinstall my computer. I will run KDE so I want the security solution to mostly "just work". Earlier when I used Ubuntu I became a little familiar with AppArmor and if I'm not misstaken you only have to provide profiles for applications you want to sandbox, e.g if you only want to secure some applications like Firefox this would be the easiest way?

Also there is this alternative called Tomoyo I believe, if I have understood it correctly you have to create profiles for the whole system (preferable through learning mode). So can anyone please shed some more light and hopefully help me to come to a decission which security solution I should chose?

Best regards
/Tomas

#2 2010-10-15 18:21:58

evot

Re: Best security solution for a Desktop Environment?

Maybe you want to take a look at iptables also, if you haven't already.

I can't answer your questions about apparmor.. maybe someone else.

#3 2010-10-15 18:40:22

puuff

Re: Best security solution for a Desktop Environment?

evot wrote:

Maybe you want to take a look at iptables also, if you haven't already.

I can't answer your questions about apparmor.. maybe someone else.

No  you missunderstand me, I want to sandbox the applications so that if one application is exploited it won't be able to access anything the profile explicitly allow. Firewalling with iptables I know of and I'm very happy to now, I remember all those awful times in Windows when I tried to configure their so called firewall, what a joke it's wink

Board footer