You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-21 01:34:55

1LordAnubis
Website

Wireless atheros pci Card dead?

A week or two after updating to kernel 2.6.35, my system began hard freezing, not completely booting, etc. I've tried downgrading the kernel, wicd, using the stock arch kernel instead of ck, and no luck. Results were the same on kubuntu and backtrack 4 usbs'. And lo and behold when I pull out my pci card my pc functions without error. (This was also verified on my other Arch machine with the same outcomes)

So I guess some part of my card is irreparably fried? If I can run lspci before it freezes, it actually shows up as AR5001x, and sometimes I can just connect to the internet before it freezes.

So now, it seems I must get a new card; my atheros card worked well with ath5k, I have a gift card for best buy but it seems you can't get a pci card without spending almost $70, which doesn't seem quite worth it to me.
The Netgear WG111 Wireless USB is only $30, and v2 &v3 should have great linux support, anyone know how to tell if its a v1?

Also, does anyone know if USB taxes your cpu more than pci? (I've never tried usb wireless before). On an old P4, would it even be worth it to use USB? I would appreciate any input for those more experienced than myself.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

#2 2010-10-22 03:01:55

1LordAnubis
Website

Re: Wireless atheros pci Card dead?

bump

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

Board footer