You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-20 21:31:14

canolucas

Wiki doesn't show the top menu if Vector theme is choosed

Hi, if i choose other wiki theme than the default one, i don't get the top menu (Home, Packages, Forums, ...), so it gets more complicated to navigate through arch website. i usually have two tabs in my browser: one for the wiki, and one for the rest.
is anyone else getting this behaviour? i think the right think is to always have the menu, regardless of the choosen theme.

#2 2010-08-20 21:49:20

karol
Archivist

Re: Wiki doesn't show the top menu if Vector theme is choosed

canolucas wrote:

Hi, if i choose other wiki theme than the default one, i don't get the top menu (Home, Packages, Forums, ...), so it gets more complicated to navigate through arch website. i usually have two tabs in my browser: one for the wiki, and one for the rest.
is anyone else getting this behaviour? i think the right think is to always have the menu, regardless of the choosen theme.

If you choose another forum theme you get similar behavior. It's a known issue.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 72#p800672

Last edited by karol (2010-08-20 21:57:54)

#3 2010-08-20 21:58:20

canolucas

karol wrote:
canolucas wrote:

If you choose another forum theme you get similar behavior. It's a known issue.

thanks for the quick reply, i'll just sit back and wait then smile

#4 2010-08-20 22:01:25

karol
Archivist

I've added a link to my previous post - this is a case of WONTFIX so there's nothing to wait for.

#5 2010-08-20 22:48:56

canolucas

i think that's a shame.. sad and that this doesn't meet the arch philosophy of being flexible and customizable..
not everyone likes the default theme.. but well, if we will have other themes in a broken state, it is better not to have them.
so in one way or another, this would have to be fixed: or
* remove the broken themes, or
* fix the broken themes

is anyone else with me?

#6 2010-08-20 22:58:17

karol
Archivist

canolucas wrote:

i think that's a shame.. sad and that this doesn't meet the arch philosophy of being flexible and customizable..
not everyone likes the default theme.. but well, if we will have other themes in a broken state, it is better not to have them.
* fix the broken themes

is anyone else with me?

It follows Arch philosophy of being w/o unnecessary modifications: "Arch Linux defines simplicity as without unnecessary additions, modifications (...)"
Both your proposals mean the devs have to alter the upstream code for no good reason. You want to remove the themes because they don't fit you - maybe others don't mind the lack of links? Is having two tabs in your browser an overkill?

Last edited by karol (2010-08-20 22:59:06)

#7 2010-08-20 23:05:54

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Why is this in Community Contributions?

#8 2010-08-20 23:10:14

canolucas

itsbrad212 wrote:

Why is this in Community Contributions?

you are right. I think this goes in "Forum & Wiki discussion", sorry.

#9 2010-08-20 23:12:55

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Moved to Forum and Wiki Discussion

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#10 2010-08-20 23:13:03

canolucas

karol wrote:
canolucas wrote:

* fix the broken themes

is anyone else with me?

It follows Arch philosophy of being w/o unnecessary modifications: "Arch Linux defines simplicity as without unnecessary additions, modifications (...)"
Both your proposals mean the devs have to alter the upstream code for no good reason. You want to remove the themes because they don't fit you - maybe others don't mind the lack of links? Is having two tabs in your browser an overkill?

i don't get why the links have to be inside forum, and wiki code, and not in a separate frame.. that would be way much simpler.

#11 2010-08-20 23:18:27

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

The simple reason is that Arch uses a vanilla FluxBB because if we customize things, we would have to do it for every upgrade which would be additional task for Pierre (and others?) who are already busy developing things for Arch as well as maintaining packages in the repos.

Having said that, yes its nice to have customizations etc in the forums, but in all honesty it's pretty much a bottom feeder on the depth chart of importance.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#12 2010-08-20 23:24:12

canolucas

Inxsible wrote:

The simple reason is that Arch uses a vanilla FluxBB because if we customize things, we would have to do it for every upgrade which would be additional task for Pierre (and others?) who are already busy developing things for Arch as well as maintaining packages in the repos.

that's exactly what i say. if we keep the menu in a separate frame, the wiki code, the forum code, etc, won't have to be modified at all. plus the menu will have to be loaded only once (speed boost). plus the menu will work for every theme, coz it will stay always where it should.
i mean that we could have 2 separate frames (menu frame + content frame). the menu frame loads the proper content in the other frame when a link is clicked.
many websites use this layout.

#13 2010-08-20 23:31:01

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

but then the menu frame will not gel well with all the different themes unless you are asking to create multiple menu frames which is what the devs don't want to do on every update.

Forum Rules

#14 2010-08-20 23:33:17

karol
Archivist

Inxsible wrote:

but then the menu frame will not gel well with all the different themes unless you are asking to create multiple menu frames which is what the devs don't want to do on every update.

Exactly, you'd have to skin the header too.
I'll ask again: how difficult is it to keep one more tab in the browser?

#15 2010-08-20 23:44:11

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I hardly ever go to the Download page now. I use the cobalt theme. So I bookmarked the Aur and the Home pages. I don't need anything else smile

Forum Rules

#16 2010-08-20 23:45:56

karol
Archivist

Inxsible wrote:

I hardly ever go to the Download page now. I use the cobalt theme. So I bookmarked the Aur and the Home pages. I don't need anything else smile

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/commu … ox-search/
I'm not sure how to do it for other browsers.

Edit: You mean Arch Home isn't your homepage? I'm disgusted ;-)

Last edited by karol (2010-08-20 23:46:45)

#17 2010-08-21 00:13:48

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

Edit: You mean Arch Home isn't your homepage? I'm disgusted ;-)

nope. The forum is smile

Forum Rules

#18 2010-08-21 01:34:18

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Honestly, the default theme doesn't look that bad. I can understand using a dark theme if you have a dark-themed desktop/browser, but other than that, I see no reason not to use a different theme (unless of course you want to) smile

Last edited by cesura (2010-08-21 01:34:54)

#19 2010-08-21 10:23:09

canolucas

itsbrad212 wrote:

(...) I see no reason to use a different theme (unless of course you want to) smile

well, i have to completely agree with that smile

BTW, i really don't get why, if you put the content in a different frame, is there the need to make one menu for each theme. is the menu also themeable? i don't think so though..
just to be sure, did you get what i meant when i proposed to load content in a different frame? (it will behave like a completely different page, and the menu will always be there).. this is all about separating the content from the menu.. similar to this (this is a single iframe design, for simplicity):

<html onload="javascript:highligh_the_right_content();">
<script>
if (document.location.href == "http://www.archlinux.org") {
frames['content'].location.href='http://www.archlinux.org/home_content.html';
hightlight('home');
}
else if (document.location.href == "http://www.archlinux.org/packages") {
frames['content'].location.href='http://www.archlinux.org/packages/packages_content.html';
highlight('packages');
}
</script>
//
<div id="menu">
<a id="home" onclick="javascript:frames['content'].location.href='http://www.archlinux.org/home_content.html'; highlight('home'); ">Home</a>
<a id="packages" onclick="javascript:frames['content'].location.href='http://www.archlinux.org/packages/packages_content.html'; highlight('packages'); ">Packages</a>
// etc
</div>
<iframe name="content"></iframe>
//etc

the same for all sections. this way 2 separate files are needed for each section:
*index file
*content file

Last edited by canolucas (2010-08-21 14:30:59)

#20 2010-11-21 05:57:21

B-Con
Website

I'm only resurrecting this thread because it's linked to from the bug report.

I'm having a similar problem, except I can't get ANY theme to display. I've logged in, logged out, tried switching to several different themes, but every time the wiki appears with little formatting and with no coloring. I've even tried it with all cookies enabled. It's like I'm not getting the appropriate CSS file, or something.

Screenshot of my issue:

CSvp7s.jpg

#21 2010-11-21 06:14:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Asking the obvious: have you tried turning off greasemonkey?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#22 2010-11-21 23:08:22

B-Con
Website

Yep. Greesemonkey, cookies, adblock, all the usual suspects.

#23 2010-11-22 17:45:08

B-Con
Website

I should also add that I see this on multiple computers running multiple operating systems (Arch and Win7) both logged in and logged out of the wiki (with basically every Firefox addon turned off).

Board footer