You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-09 21:13:41

thom_raindog

Setting up Xampp / MySql

Howdie,

careful, folks: complete Newb here! So, don't say you have not been forewarned wink

I need (want for a specific purpose wink ) php with mysql, so I fished and fumbled some, tried the wiki here on lamp. I ended up finding that I can only edit files in /srv/http as root, and that seemed rather unsafe. Since so far I only did 2 test files, I decided to scrap the whole thing and use Xampp instead, which looked more dummy-friendly anyway.
Trying to uninstall apache, php and mysql resulted in me being unable to do so, since mysql is a dependency for akonadi, which is a dependency for kdepimlibs which.... you get the idea. Using up-to-date kde I did not want to kill my kde completely, so I just left it in, and installed xampp anyway.

Now, I did not gain anything with this, since I STILL can not edit nor create files as a normal user - now under /opt/lampp/htdocs of course. On top of that I appear to now have 2 instanced of mysql, which I can actually run at the same time. Who knew!?
This seems to confuse Xampp, as the security check (both through the commandline and the website) assume there is no password for root@mysql, but when I set it through the commandline using

/opt/lampp/lampp security

nothing and check again it stays this way.

Now, who can get me on the right tracks with all of that?

#2 2010-11-14 15:06:12

thom_raindog

Re: Setting up Xampp / MySql

Ok, fumbling around some more I am more and more sure that my installation(s) are somehow borked:
When I start a browser to point at http://localhost I get to the startpage of xampp just fine. But on starting PhpMyAdmin from the very page, I get connected to my systems MySQL, not the one from Xampp. I know that because phpmyadmin warns me I should set a password for mysql, which I have (rerunning /opt/lampp/lampp security confirms that)

Of course I can just use an "external" MySql, but it kinda feels wrong...

#3 2010-11-22 05:38:56

thom_raindog

Re: Setting up Xampp / MySql

Nothing still, eh?

Board footer