You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-03 14:32:54

medicated

Network card not relinking..

Last night, our local router siezed up and had to be rebooted.  When we brought the router back up, the network card in our proxy server(SuSE Linux) failed to link back up.  I was asked to look into the situation and see what kind of sollutions I could come up with.  Does any one have any suggestions.  I've seen ifplugd and it seems to be what we need, but does anyone have any experience working with this or any other suggested sollutions?  This is our first experience with a linux server in a production environment.  Also..just a note, the server runs SuSE linux because the admins that I work with like the sescurity of a support contract(understandably so). 

Thanks

#2 2005-05-03 15:03:48

Moo-Crumpus

Re: Network card not relinking..

So ask suse or the admins. Learn yast and yast2.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2005-05-03 15:15:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ifplugd works fine for me, but I don't know how it'd work with the cable remaining connected and the router going off then on - I use it on a laptop where I unplug the cable and plug it back in...

#4 2005-05-03 15:39:52

medicated

Wouldn't the system assume that the cable was uplugged?  It will no longer be linking up to anything, so whats the difference between that and simply unplugging the cable?

#5 2005-05-03 16:45:09

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

medicated wrote:

Wouldn't the system assume that the cable was uplugged?  It will no longer be linking up to anything, so whats the difference between that and simply unplugging the cable?

dunno... I was just covering all the bases... I'm not sure how much of a "link down" ifplugd needs to reconnect... hitting a "reset" button might cause it to not relink... I dunno

Best to just try it out on a desktop of your own (run ifplgud, shut the router off, restart... checking pings and whatnot the whole time)

#6 2005-05-03 23:22:37

medicated

I'll try to get ahold of a router or switch to test with.  The server is a production server and rather than just a router, its our core switch.  I'll do some more research on ifplugd and report back what I come up with.

Board footer