You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-04 10:01:56

vladtepes

samba and ssh crash after copy/move [UPDATE]

Greetings,

well, first sorry for choosing such an stupid thread titel, but i didnt manage to find a better one ;-)

to my problem:
we have got a "server". it stores files and runs a filesharing program.
the server is controlled through ssh, and is also reachable via samba (this is because of my flat mate; he is not that form with linux ;-) )

the problem is, that since a while, if we try to move/copy something via the samba, the server crashes. he is still running, but i cant connect via ssh oder samba, which is a problem, because it is standing in the floor without keyboard and monitor. the effect, is that i have to do a hardreset  :?

if i have a look in the errors.log i always find these three lines after that strange thing has happend:

Apr  1 13:08:29 server md: invalid raid superblock magic on hdl1
Apr  1 13:08:35 server devfsd[1025]: action_compat: error unlinking: "vcs1"   No such file or directory
Apr  1 13:08:35 server devfsd[1025]: action_compat: error unlinking: "vcsa1"  No such file or directory

i dont know if this is realy related to the problem, but i found no other things.

sysinfo (server):

duron 1300Mhz
msi k7t266 pro2
2*256mb ddr
s3 virge 2mb graphicscard
1gbit lan adapter
there is also an raid controller as a pci card inserted (plus the one which is integrated on the board)
now to the harddisks:
10gb maxtor (systemdisk; master ide1)
160gb samsung (data1; master ide2)
200gb samsung (data3; master raidonboard 1)
200gb samsung (data4; master raidonboard 2)
200gb samsung (data5; master raidpci 1)
40gb maxtor (data2; master raidpci 2)

kernel:
2.6.11.3-ARCH

samba and ssh should be up to date.

so i hope, someone knows something about that.[/code]

[img]http://www.ccc.de/campaigns/music/boykott1.gif[/img]

#2 2005-05-05 11:10:16

vladtepes

Re: samba and ssh crash after copy/move [UPDATE]

Greetings,

nobody any idea?  :?

#3 2005-05-05 11:39:25

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

maybe try using udev instead of devfs:
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/UdevHowTo

#4 2005-05-05 20:01:03

vladtepes

Greetings,

changed to udev.
tried to extract a big *.rar file.

same error again...
in the log file:

May  5 21:58:22 server md: invalid raid superblock magic on hdc1

NOTE: the disk changed from hdl1 to hdc1 because we changed the ports on which the disks did hang. (we did because we thought that could fix the error)
But the

Apr  1 13:08:35 server devfsd[1025]: action_compat: error unlinking: "vcs1"   No such file or directory 
Apr  1 13:08:35 server devfsd[1025]: action_compat: error unlinking: "vcsa1"  No such file or directory

does not appear anymore in the error.log  :?

strange...

#5 2005-05-23 22:04:28

vladtepes

Greetings,

i fixed the problem.
the hdd which was affected and producing the error, was the 40gb ones, which ran in an raid some time ago.
and the partition type of the hdd was still set to Linux Autoraid detect.

sooo...i changed the partition type, and now everything seems to work

#6 2005-05-23 22:10:26

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

cool

#7 2005-06-12 21:24:23

vladtepes

Greetings,

sooo
bad news.

the problem wasn't solved.
still the server "crashes" on lan load.
but now, i dont have any errors or strange things in the logs.

today i put the server on a keyboard an monitor and tried to reproduce the error....with success :-P

the strange thing was, that the server ran just fine. only the connection over ssh and samba had died. after i noticed that, i did a

ifconfig eth0

but there were no errors.
after a

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up

everything worked fine again.

so, were is the problem?!?!?!

#8 2005-06-12 23:56:35

Michel

Heya,

I don't know if you have already done this, but could you look if you can increase the debug-output of ssh and samba?

I don't really know a lot about networks, but maybe you could try to use nfs. I've read that if you install "unix services for windows" (available for free from Microsoft), you can use nfs under windows (maybe it is also possible with cygwin).

Have you tried an ftp-server maybe? I don't know an ftp-server that supports zero-conf, but if your friend installed bonjour from apple and you can broadcast you're ftp-server using zeroconf ... it would show up in his browser I think without any additional configuration. Kde has a public file server applet that does broadcast file-services I believe.

Anyway, you could test the ssh/samba-connection separately and see if it has something to do with them?

Ofcourse if it is an instability in the drivers, ... using another program wouldn't help maybe.

It could also help too look at which processes are running when ssh, ... don't respond anymore. Maybe restart the ssh-server and see if that helps? Maybe it can tell you if a network-service is causing the hang.

Don't know if it helps, ...

Michel[/list][/url]

#9 2005-06-13 17:25:15

vladtepes

Greetings,

thanks for the answer.

I don't know if you have already done this, but could you look if you can increase the debug-output of ssh and samba?

nope...i didn't.
short advice how to?

I don't really know a lot about networks, but maybe you could try to use nfs. I've read that if you install "unix services for windows" (available for free from Microsoft), you can use nfs under windows (maybe it is also possible with cygwin).

Have you tried an ftp-server maybe? I don't know an ftp-server that supports zero-conf, but if your friend installed bonjour from apple and you can broadcast you're ftp-server using zeroconf ... it would show up in his browser I think without any additional configuration. Kde has a public file server applet that does broadcast file-services I believe.

hm...yes...i already read this, but hmm...if it is possible with samba, it would be great.
same for the ftp. this two things would be one of the last solutions. (btw: one is running already)

Anyway, you could test the ssh/samba-connection separately and see if it has something to do with them?

its definitly the samba. like i described above, moving/copying between the hdd's of the server lets him crash (sometimes)
copying over the ssh, doesnt produce errors.

It could also help too look at which processes are running when ssh, ... don't respond anymore. Maybe restart the ssh-server and see if that helps? Maybe it can tell you if a network-service is causing the hang.

hmm...no special processes are running (at least i think; will look the next time it happens)
restarting the ssh i will also try the next time. (restarting the network device solves the problem as mentioned above)

anyone any other ideas?

#10 2005-06-13 20:49:43

Michel

Heya,

I foudn the following links about increasing the log level for samba:

* Logging Configuration Options
* Troubleshooting Samba

Maybe the samba-documentation can help. It can be that this documentation is also installe don your harddrive. If interested in it, you could check the contents of the samba-package(s?) with "pacman -Ql <packagename>". Documentation may be located in /usr/share/doc or the equibalent /opt-directory (for example: /opt/gnome/share/doc), ...

Hopes this helps you a bit,

Michel

#11 2005-06-23 07:01:17

vladtepes

Greetings,

soooo, sorry that my answer took that long.
thanks for the links, but i did not have the time to try to change the samba or ssh the debug-output.

BUT after i put in a second nic ( http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … highlight= ) the problem seems to be disapeared. *??*

when i will have more time again, i will try the mentioned things and look for the error messages.

Board footer