You are not logged in.

#26 2010-12-02 15:14:43

milomouse
Website

Re: X.Org alternatives? MicroXWin, Wayland, Y, DFB, Xynth, Fresco, etc..

@davidbe: No, I haven't messed with this endeavor too much recently. Most of the stuff I do anymore requires nothing more than console but I do load StumpWM in X from time to time if I want a larger, more dynamic real-estate. Also, I haven't found any more "alternatives" as far as the search goes. Sort of wondering if anyone <else> has had any success.

@pjezek: I've been following this pretty close and it seems like there's actual progress being made, which is always a bonus in this spectra where most seem undeveloped or dying projects. Looking forward to jumps in the Radeon support as my new laptop is going to be housing an ATI card. Thanks for the link, by the way, I should probably add it to my first post for easier referencing.

#27 2020-05-29 15:11:22

4internetanonymity

I think this is a great thread to follow-up on 10 years later. There's been lots of progress & new options - though I'm not sure what they are. It is great to be able to follow a thread about such a large topic like this over years, but I suppose even proposing such an idea might get it locked roll

#28 2020-05-29 15:59:09

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I don't know why you get so excited over old topics, but this isn't a technical support subforum so there's no need for a lock.

Bumping for the sake of necrobumping though, will get you banned. If you have nothing to contribute to the topic, leave it be.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#29 2020-05-29 20:00:21

4internetanonymity

WorMzy wrote:

I don't know why you get so excited over old topics, but this isn't a technical support subforum so there's no need for a lock.

Bumping for the sake of necrobumping though, will get you banned. If you have nothing to contribute to the topic, leave it be.

It doesn't make any sense to me that "the state of Xorg alternatives on Linux" is an "old topic". I'm trying Wayland and I wanted to follow up with the participants of this thread. Contacting them each or @'ing them outside of this thread seemed inefficient/ineffective/not how forums work everywhere else on the web. Does this really warrant threatening a ban?

Last edited by 4internetanonymity (2020-05-29 20:00:42)

#30 2020-05-30 11:03:36

Lone_Wolf

I remembered seeing some articles about a display server build on a game engine.
Some searching resulted in a name : Arcan Display Server.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … lay-Server (from 2016) gives an overview.

I have no idea how usable it is, but it appears to be actively developed, see https://arcan-fe.com/

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#31 2020-11-30 18:40:21

Kim Il

I stumbled over this thread, because i want to try Wayland, but not with "too fat for my tiny box" gnome. I need something lightweight.
Has anybody got it working, maybe LXQT on Wayland?

#32 2020-11-30 19:51:25

GaKu999

Kim Il wrote:

I stumbled over this thread, because i want to try Wayland, but not with "too fat for my tiny box" gnome. I need something lightweight.
Has anybody got it working, maybe LXQT on Wayland?

That only if you want a DE, you could just go WM purist with something like sway for example. (it's like i3)
But that's up to your tastes.

In any case this thread originally was is reaaaally old and got necrobumped...don't know how to feel for this one.
The current state of Wayland is quite different on how it was back them I guess. (I surely cannot confirm)

Yeah this is not productive, the topic at hand is finished, you should post a new topic, but I believe it would be a TGN because of being akin to "product recommendation request".
And "finished" because the wiki already gives this a very decent coverage.

EDIT: I see that this is also about even other display servers&protocols...this thread feels hijacked, quite an oversight from me.

Last edited by GaKu999 (2020-11-30 20:09:55)

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#33 2020-11-30 20:37:56

ewaller
Administrator

This thread is indeed old, but as it is a discussion thread and not a support thread, I'll leave it be for now.  Kim Il, if you need support on this topic, please open a thread for that purpose.  Thanks.

I second the sway suggestion.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer