You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-04 00:56:37

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Errors while re-installing Arch

I was playing around with net-profiles and network late last night and while half asleep, I uninstalled initscripts. I thought, well I could re-install it from my cache. But when I did, it also tried to install kbd (which for some reason was not in my cache). In any case it couldn't find the network so I couldn't install it at all.

So I thought I'd re-install Arch since I had a separate /home.  I selected the correct mount points for /home, /var, swap and only created a file-system on my root partition. However, when I get to "Install packages" it gives me this error

error: command failed to execute correctly
sh: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It does this for most of the packages that need to be installed. However, a very few don't get this error.

This happens in both the net-install and the core images. I also tried deleting the root partition and then re-creating it. Still no go. Since I am re-installing, should it put files in there rather than trying to find existing ones?

Also for most packages, it says that they are up to date -----re-installing. How can they be when I deleted the root partition?

What am I missing here?

Don't be too harsh.... I am still sleepy from last night wink

EDIT : Should I just force install from a 2nd tty?

pacman -r /mnt -Syuf 

??

What else could go wrong ? wink wink

EDIT2: Well forcing the upgrade just tells me that all my packages are up-to-date. WTF !!

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2010-12-04 01:36:34

my0pic

Re: Errors while re-installing Arch

Might have something to do with keeping the filesystem on /var?
Pacmans database of installed files is at /var/lib/pacman/local so its reading off your old systems database.
I'd backup the package cache then start off with a newly created /var.

#3 2010-12-04 01:40:50

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Alright...got it fixed. Here's how

on a 2nd tty I did the following:
libreadline.so.6 belongs to readline
So I installed readline by

pacman -r /mnt -S readline

then tried to install the packages again. This time it gave me errors on libpam.so.1 and libpcre.so.1 . Use the same command to install pam and pcre.
Then libz.so.0 errors came up, so I installed zlib  and so on and so forth.
Ended up installing, mkinitcpio, module-init-tools, mkinitcpio-busybox and maybe a couple more packages. Keep looking at the  error log while installing the packages and it should tell you what files are throwing errors and you will have to individually install those packages.

After all that, my package installation went thru...and I could configure my system again.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2010-12-04 01:43:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

my0pic wrote:

Might have something to do with keeping the filesystem on /var?
Pacmans database of installed files is at /var/lib/pacman/local so its reading off your old systems database.
I'd backup the package cache then start off with a newly created /var.

I did actually think of doing that, but then got around by re-installing explicit packages as I mentioned in my previous post.

I am still not in the clear though. my display goes bust right about the time where it detects the vga resolution.....

now how do i fix that? Back to going into the live usb. Maybe my console is not being set correctly to utf-8 mode

Forum Rules

Board footer