You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-18 08:41:55

kwbauson

Connecting to a Windows ad-hoc network (or vice-verca).

OK, so what I'd like to be able to do is either connect to a Windows hosted ad-hoc network (I've never been able to do this) or create an ad-hoc network that Windows can connect to for internet sharing with a 3G usb modem.  I've read the wiki pages and other web pages, but it seems that they are for connecting linux to linux.  I've tried to connect to a Windows ad-hoc with NetworkManager (tries to connect for a few minutes and eventually stops), Wicd (fails with IP address error), and iwconfig-dhcpcd (dhcpcd gives up after reporting that there was no carrier found).  I've also tried to create an ad-hoc network for windows to connect to.   Windows can connect to networks I make with NetworkManager (NetworkManager stopped working for connecting to the modem), but fails to connect to networks created with Wicd or iwconfig.  I'd really rather not use NetworkManager.  I'm currently connecting to the modem using pppd (NetworkManager doesn't share internet if I am running pppd), and Wicd can't connect to modems (I don't know if creating a network wich Wicd and using pppd would share the internet connection?).  My best bet seems to be me creating an ad-hoc network via command line (iwconfig and such) and having the Windows box connect.  Here's what I've tried for creating a network (internet sharing is not currently the problem via command line since Windows can't connect anyways):

# ifconfig wlan0 down
# iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
# iwconfig wlan0 essid Network
# ifconfig wlan0 up

Windows sits there for a while saying that it's identifying the network, but never connects.  If I specify the IP with ifconfig and manually configure Windows, it connects for about a second, then disconnects.   I've got madwifi (I don't know if I need it), and I'm using the ath9k kernel module (default).  My current setup has worked flawlessly for everything but ad-hoc networking.
Thanks!

Board footer