You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-08 15:08:23

Gundamman2

Dual NIC Issues

I am trying to run my Arch computer as a router to allow another computer on my home network to use the internet (probably using IP Masq.) The issue is that when I plug in two nics into my computer my ADSL connection will connect but I will not be able to go anywhere on the Internet and when I plug my cat5 cable going to the other computer no lights come on the nic. Yet when I plug in the DSL cat5 cable (into the alternate nic) the lights come on solid and I  can longer even dial after running adsl-setup again.

Taking a quick look at ifconfig it seemed that both cards were working and so was my ADSL connection. So I turned of the nic I wasn't using, disconnected my ADSL connection and tried again. Again it connected but I couldn't go anywhere. I then ran hwd -s and found that though it saw my two cards their aliases at the end were both eth but I when then ran ifconfig it was clear that both an eth0 and 1 existed.

Please help anyone I am so confused.

#2 2005-05-08 17:27:07

johnisevil
Website

Re: Dual NIC Issues

Try disabling hotplug at boot and only load the module for the nic you want to use and see if that helps.

#3 2005-05-08 17:36:43

Gundamman2

This may sound stupid but exactly how do I manually load modules (perhaps with modules.conf). I am just not sure!

#4 2005-05-08 19:41:50

FUBAR
Website

modprobe <modulename>

To unload:

modprobe -r <modulename>

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#5 2005-05-08 19:53:08

Gundamman2

Thanks everyone,

I have the two nics coexisting now and I am trying my best now to figure out how to get the computer my client computer on the net. SO far I have my eth1 and eth0 cards routed and I have setup a  gateway for the client and assigned it an IP address (keep in mind the client is an ugly WIN 2000 NT MAchine  :x ). I have my Masq firewall setup but I am stuck until I can figure out more.

Board footer