You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-14 08:56:26

adr3nal1n

No HDMI Audio from PNY Nvidia G210 Card - Please Help [SOLVED]

***** It's now working! *****

Thanks to some of the posts on the XBMC and Ubuntu hardware forums. I picked up a lot of pointers.

When using this card with XBMC, There is no need at all for an /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf with probe masks etc. and there is no need for a /etc/asound.conf either (if you are going to just use XBMC like me for your HTPC setup)

All you need is ALSA 1.0.23 installed and at least be running kernel 2.6.34. aplay -l should reveal multiple (4) Nvidia devices as shown in my previous text further down this post, this is fine, however only 1 of these Nvidia devices will actually deliver sound to your TV via HDMI.

In XBMC, goto System Settings, Audio Settings, set device to "Custom" and enter only ONE of the following and then try and play a movie or music in XBMC... (My G210 Nvidia soundcard is card 1 as I also have onboard audio at card 0 so bear this in mind when applying this method to your setup e.g if your HDMI soundcard is card 0 then the first thing to try is plughw:0,3)

plughw:1,3
plughw:1,7
plughw:1,8
plughw:1,9

My PNY G210 card worked using a "Custom" device in XBMC of plughw:1,8

If you are not using XBMC and are using for example a Gnome desktop then you can apparently get sound working by using the text in the code box below in your /etc/asound.conf (this will ensure alsa defaults to the correct card and sub device for hdmi audio) again ensure you are using the correct card number and device number. You can validate this by testing audio as follows from the command line "speaker-test -D plughw:1,8 -r 44100" and simply work your way through the 4 devices until you find the one that works.

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm {
type hw
card 1
device 8
}
}

Given the amount of testing and reading I have done on this, I wouldn't be surprised if this method works for any G210 Nvidia cards and HDMI audio, as the logic seems sound (if you'll pardon the pun! :-))

Hopefully someone will find this helpful.

Original problem text below this point......

Hi Guys,

I am about to give up on this as I cannot get HDMI audio to my TV no matter what I try.

The card is a PNY Nvidia G210. I am running Arch Linux x86_64 and ALSA 1.0.23 and Nvidia driver 256.33

aplay -l shows

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

dmesg shows the HDMI interface of the card being picked up

HDMI hot plug event: Pin=5 Presence_Detect=1 ELD_Valid=0
HDMI hot plug event: Pin=5 Presence_Detect=1 ELD_Valid=1
HDMI: detected monitor SAMSUNG
     at connection type HDMI
HDMI: available speakers: FL/FR
HDMI: supports coding type LPCM: channels = 2, rates = 44100 48000 88200, bits = 16 20

Everything for the Nvidia HDMI is un-muted in alsamixer.

I've tried the tips from the wiki here in terms of probe masks added to sound.conf but still no joy. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_set_ … ,_or_GT240

I've also tried the tips from this post here and still no sound. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=90350

Disabling the motheroard onbonard Intel Audio makes no difference and manually compiling and installing the very latest ALSA driver makes no difference.

Has anyone got HDMI audio working on this card under linux?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer as I have now run out of ideas and if I can't get this to work will have to revert back to my old ASUS EN9400GT card which takes s/pdif from the motherboard for audio out to HDMI.

Last edited by adr3nal1n (2010-10-14 20:08:42)

#2 2010-10-23 20:47:30

d_ed

Re: No HDMI Audio from PNY Nvidia G210 Card - Please Help [SOLVED]

Works for me too! in my case it was plughw:0,7.

Thank you ever so much!

*hugs*

#3 2010-12-30 02:18:38

sheex

Re: No HDMI Audio from PNY Nvidia G210 Card - Please Help [SOLVED]

Sweet, this totally worked for my GT240.

Thanks!

Board footer