You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-12 02:33:30

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ppp and Philippines dialup

I'm trying to connect to a dialup service here in the Philippines.  I used to use dialup in the UK and pppconfig worked fine for me setting up my stuff.  Since moving over here I have moved to 2.6 and udev and now, for some reason, I just can't get my modem to connect - I'm not sure if it is my set up or the ISP

So here are my configs:

# This optionfile was generated by pppconfig 2.1.1. 
# 
#
hide-password 
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/blast"
debug
/dev/ttyS2
defaultroute
noipdefault
user "4872710116@blast.ph"
remotename blast
ipparam blast

# Options
asyncmap 0
crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
proxyarp
noipx
persist

# This chatfile was generated by pppconfig 2.1.1.
# Please do not delete any of the comments.  Pppconfig needs them.
# 
# ispauth PAP
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED ABORT ERROR
# modeminit
'' ATZ
# ispnumber
OK-AT-OK "ATDT4142020"
# ispconnect
CONNECT dc
# prelogin

# ispname
# isppassword
# postlogin

# end of pppconfig stuff

And my logs are here, you'll have to compare errors and messages manually as i couldn't get them in one config

#2 2005-05-12 02:43:54

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: ppp and Philippines dialup

ack... it's been so long since I had to deal with dial up... did you try wvdial?

I found this when googling: http://www.linux.net.nz/pppconfig/ - it might be helpful

additional googling said that a similar messages listing was "pppd not connecting to the modem" but no solution was provided - are you positive ttyS2 is correct?

#3 2005-05-12 03:35:07

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

no - basically - i'm pretty sure!

it's com3 in windows - see it was /dev/modem before i switched to udev - it gets ok signals from the modem before it fails tho - and if it is not connect to the phone line I get a no dial tone error - so i am pretty sure it is right

#4 2005-05-12 03:45:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

random off-the-cuff idea:
different phone systems in the philippines? do they require different initialization strings? maybe try google in philippinese (I made that up, is that a language?) and check for ppp stuff

#5 2005-05-12 04:09:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Filipino or Tagalog are the accepted monikers for the local lingo - i was wondering about that too - don't know what to search for tho

#6 2005-05-12 10:12:14

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

My main issue is not being able to hear the modem audio output - i think either ALSA is preventing access to the sound system or it's not configure (i think there maybe a kernel option)

If i could hear what the modem is doing i would have a much better idea of what is wrong.  I have tried kppp as that has some more newb options like query and the modem is def in the right place and is def dialing but i dunno if the line is busy (frequently is) or there is some other error

so how can i fix the speaker?

#7 2005-05-12 13:25:08

Kern

Symptoms sound similar to a prob i had ages ago. have you tried swapping the modem/phone cable. you should at least hear the small relay clicking in and out when trying to dialup. if not, its maybe not even hearing a dial tone itself.

#8 2005-05-12 15:04:44

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

so how can i fix the speaker?

my system uses intel-8x0m for the modem, and intel-8x0 for notmal audio - if both are loaded, niether work... but each one works on its own

#9 2005-05-13 01:33:03

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ahh - i have the same!  Do you use your onboard modem?  I am using a Psion Gold Card - i dunno what the module is for the integrated one.

Anyway, this AM i disabled all the sound modules, no alsa and i had PC speaker beeps back -you know the annoying tab complete ones?  They are blocked when I use ALSA.  So I tried the modem again with kppp and i could hear it dialing and following the kppp log i could see what was going on, and, after a few goes, I am connected and writing to you on ppp.

Now I just have to compare my kppp configs to my pppconfigs, which I am certain are the same - the initialization is the same phrak, then i can just use pon - problem is i really need the sound and the modem sound together so i can here what it is doing - any ideas?

#10 2005-05-13 09:01:05

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ok - i finally found out that slmodem works with my Intel Corp. PCTEL 2304 WT V.92 MDC Modem (i added that for people searching later)

So now i'll try that modem too - both with the slamr and the intel-8x0m - i have always had the latter loaded anyway but now i hopefully have a daemon script that can actually make it work smile

Board footer