You are not logged in.

#26 2011-01-06 13:20:10

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Partition win does not rise in the arch? (Solved)

claupper,
when you quote someone, please quote only the relevant parts, especially if someone's post is long with a lot of code. We don't want to keep repeating the code structures because they are already up there. That way the thread doesn't become too long and unreadable.

Also, as thisoldman suggests, we need to see the error messages to be able to further help you. Make sure you provide us with the information we ask of you.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#27 2011-01-06 16:15:29

claupper
Website

Inxsible wrote:

claupper,
when you quote someone, please quote only the relevant parts, especially if someone's post is long with a lot of code. We don't want to keep repeating the code structures because they are already up there. That way the thread doesn't become too long and unreadable.

Also, as thisoldman suggests, we need to see the error messages to be able to further help you. Make sure you provide us with the information we ask of you.

I understood, but is not giving any error message, because when I give the command in the shell, there is no reported error mean? What else can I do? How do I get the log system initialization and post the error in the forum if any!

#28 2011-01-07 08:24:50

thisoldman

@ claupper,  I have given you much more instruction than is usual on these forums because I thought the English language was causing much of your difficulties.  I have slowly come to realize that you need a basic instruction manual for linux.  The Arch forums and the Arch distribution are not the place for  beginners unless they are willing to search for solutions and teach themselves.

When something fails for you, you must first try to solve it yourself.  If you have a problem you must describe it accurately.

I suggest you try a distribution where more of the configuration is performed automatically for the user.  Ubuntu might be good for you.  I haven't tried it, but Dreamlinux is a Brazilian distribution and might also be a good choice.

Last edited by thisoldman (2011-01-07 08:25:44)

#29 2011-01-07 11:04:28

claupper
Website

thisoldman wrote:

@ claupper,  I have given you much more instruction than is usual on these forums because I thought the English language was causing much of your difficulties.  I have slowly come to realize that you need a basic instruction manual for linux.  The Arch forums and the Arch distribution are not the place for  beginners unless they are willing to search for solutions and teach themselves.

When something fails for you, you must first try to solve it yourself.  If you have a problem you must describe it accurately.

I suggest you try a distribution where more of the configuration is performed automatically for the user.  Ubuntu might be good for you.  I haven't tried it, but Dreamlinux is a Brazilian distribution and might also be a good choice.

I use the arch to 2 years and have not had many problems with it this time not because I was anes user slackware and debian before, but I think this problem is related to incorrect assembly system in order to raise the desired partition. I managed to climb the same, but the fstab file is not working with the line that put the wiki as I was last in a previous post.
There is something that can be added in the same line I inserted the information?

#30 2011-01-07 12:32:28

thisoldman

@claupper, Please, DO NOT hit the Quote link.

These are what you have not done or have not told us. 

Does Windows see the partition?  Did you run chkdsk on the partition from Windows?

Did you search the wiki for articles containing ntfs, ntfs-3g and fstab?  Did you search the forums?

Did you Google your problem?  If you were following instructions from an article on the internet, then you should give us the link to that article.

I followed the instructions from this article: http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/Chkdsk

If you are entering commands at a prompt, you should say:

I tried this (surrounded by [ code ] tags)

$ my command exactly as it was typed
error message

Or state that no error messages appeared and if anything changed.

Your careless typing of the commands you have said that you have tried has us wondering if you are as careless when you type at the command prompt or when you edit files.

If you made an entry in a configuration file, such as /etc/fstab you must tell people exactly what you added or changed.  Again, copy the change exactly, or the whole file if necessary, surrounding it by [ code ] tags and state the results.

I copied this to my /etc/fstab:

UUID=B566-F106  /media/adat  vfat  ro,noatime,users,noauto,nosuid,nodev,shortname=lower,async,flush,utf8,gid=100  0 0

And now I can mount the USB flash drive but it's read-only.

#31 2011-01-07 15:57:54

claupper
Website

My fstab looks like:
/ dev / <sda5> / mnt / windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
What permissions should I put forward in this sequence to go right?
By Hal is easier to configure this?
I should have set the windows partition at installation time that the arch would have been easier, but this option is why I jumped I thought it would not need, but now I saw the work that has it all.

Last edited by claupper (2011-01-07 15:58:21)

#32 2011-01-08 15:23:05

claupper
Website

I managed to mount the partition as follows:
mount / dev/sda5 / mnt / windows
Just could not put the line correctly in the fstab file, and even putting the way I did before, does not work automatically when the system goes up in the boot.
Have any way to fix it out of the fstab file?
Otherwise, I can climb the partition manually when needed.

#33 2011-01-08 18:50:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

you can use a udev rule to mount it. Search the wiki for Udev and you should see the appropriate page. Depending on whether its an internal or external drive, you should use the appropriate udev rule.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#34 2011-01-09 12:41:42

claupper
Website

Inxsible wrote:

you can use a udev rule to mount it. Search the wiki for Udev and you should see the appropriate page. Depending on whether its an internal or external drive, you should use the appropriate udev rule.

Beauty, I'll try to use an appropriate udev my needs, or can ride it when you need it, since not all the time I'll need to enter it ok.
Thank you for your help.
Hugs
Claupper

#35 2011-01-10 02:20:13

Daniel_F

Jesus !!

I just read the whole thread !!

@thisoldman: Wow !!  Man !!  I wish I had your patience !!!

Seriously...  I was about to ask for the guy's address and go fix it for him !!!   roll

BTW: I HATE automatic/online translators !!!    They usually don't work well and the person using it obviously can't tell !!

@the_whole_world: Small piece of advice: If you are not a native english speaker and want to do something good for yourself: LEARN ENGLISH !!

Board footer