You are not logged in.

#51 2011-01-07 18:34:58

grassmonk

Re: KDE without GTK depencencies

sredna wrote:

For integrating firefox, there is an addon for using plasma notifications.

Since at least Firefox 3.6 (maybe 3.5?) Firefox uses libnotify for notifications.  There is no more need for an addon.

#52 2011-01-07 19:12:28

hellnest
Website

@manutortosa
Can't wait for KCM tongue

-------------------------------------------

GTK isn't bad at all. But honestly almost all KDE SC is already "fulfill" my needs. For browser, i prefer use Konqueror. This ancient software is better than rekonq IMHO. But still can't let go Firefox *addons*.. LoL almost anyone love Firefox addons.

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#53 2011-01-13 01:03:49

manutortosa
Website

KCM Module it's working, you can see the info here:

http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=3867

Git repository it's here:
http://gitorious.org/chakra/chakra-gtk-config

Really simple to compile, here's the Chakra's Gtk-Integration PKGBUILD, includes, all-in-one: Oxygen-Gtk engine, Oxygen Refit 2 icon theme and the KCM:

http://gitorious.org/chakra-packages/ap … n/PKGBUILD

Enjoy it!

Manuel Tortosa
manutortosa@chakra-project.org
The Chakra Project

#54 2011-01-13 01:12:30

venky80

Well looks like kde will need gtk2 till gnome3.0 arrives
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21996

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#55 2011-01-13 01:42:03

Sertse

For those who have switched away from Firefox and are using Rekonq or Konqueror as your browser, KMplayer offers a kpart/browser plugin that works through phonon (mplayer, gstreamer, vlc, xine). So you no longer need to use gecko-mediaplayer or totem. 

KMplayer used to be a kde mplayer frontend, but now stands for K Media Player apparently, supporting all phonon backends.

It's there for a while, so I might be late but I thought to mention it since with webkit and rekonq, using a kde web browser is somewhat viable and people might be interested.

#56 2011-01-13 18:50:15

manutortosa
Website

venky80 wrote:

No, you are plain wrong, Chakra stripped libcanberra in 3 packages, libcanberra, libcanberrra-pulse and libcanberra-gstreamer, and compiled libcanberra using --disable-gtk as option, even more this is only a optional dep wich just provides an additional page in systemsettings in case you use pulseaudio, KDE can be compiled without it as well.

Last edited by manutortosa (2011-01-13 18:57:55)

Manuel Tortosa
manutortosa@chakra-project.org
The Chakra Project

#57 2011-01-14 13:46:22

venky80

manutortosa wrote:
venky80 wrote:

No, you are plain wrong, Chakra stripped libcanberra in 3 packages, libcanberra, libcanberrra-pulse and libcanberra-gstreamer, and compiled libcanberra using --disable-gtk as option, even more this is only a optional dep wich just provides an additional page in systemsettings in case you use pulseaudio, KDE can be compiled without it as well.

Thanks for the info manu

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#58 2011-06-15 22:51:14

Demon

$ pacr gtk2
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: flashplugin-prerelease: requires gtk2

As you can see, I've stripped most of the gtk2 stuff, leaving only &$?*?!#$ flashplugin. Only two packets that I need which depend on gtk2 are libreoffice and plymouth.

1. If you are not using LO's quickstarter, then gtk2 isn't really needed (on pure KDE setup). You can compile with --disable-gtk option, but as compilation of LO takes like forever, I simply edited "/var/lib/pacman/local/libreoffice-3.4.0-2/desc" file (removed "gtk2" entry from dependency array and put it in opt-dependency array).

2. Who really needs plymouth's log viewer app and it's X11 backend? I made this simple patch which does wonders:

http://goo.gl/n0vO8

Besides flashplugin I really don't need any other app that depends on gtk2. Would like to see QT GUI for mkvtoolnix though, but I can live without it. smile

#59 2011-06-15 23:29:45

oboedad55

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … plications

I use oxygen-gtk and it works quite well.

Registered Linux user #436067

#60 2011-07-08 01:39:12

carebearboy

I was surprised when I installed kde on arch (kde-base) and found no gtk packages. I was mindful not to install packages that obvisiously required gtk but it appears that the default kde install, which is just following the wiki, is gtk-less if you pay close enough attention and just look at the packages when you do the install. I used networkmanager, alsa (for sound), and nvidia, but didn't install the nvidia-utils as suggested in this thread. Minitube for flash replacement (in AUR). Serves me just fine. smile

Another nice thing about the sticking to just kde packages is that they are most likely all open software so the system is all yours! The only thing holding me back is the Nvidia drivers. The open source ones don't run kwin on my system, yet.

Someone mentioned about firefox-qt taking a while to compile, you were not messing around! I think it's been at least an hour and still it's doing the matrix thing below these words as I type on konqueror with the build-in terminal - Another one of the many reasons I love kde software so much. I also like the bookmark sharing between programs.

As for the comments about people hating on GTK. Totally not true. I think it's perfectly natural to want a pure system. When I used Gnome I didn't want to install KDE apps, not because of hate, I love kde, but because of inefficiency. Also the integration is much better when using native programs. Besides, I don't want a mixed up mess of a system. That's why I chose Arch. It's simple.

#61 2011-07-08 06:00:30

wonder
Developer
Website

carebearboy wrote:

I was surprised when I installed kde on arch (kde-base) and found no gtk packages. I was mindful not to install packages that obvisiously required gtk but it appears that the default kde install, which is just following the wiki, is gtk-less if you pay close enough attention and just look at the packages when you do the install. I used networkmanager, alsa (for sound), and nvidia, but didn't install the nvidia-utils as suggested in this thread.

how does nvidia work for you if you don't have nvidia-utils? Maybe you wanted to say that you didn't install gtk2 for nvidia-settings

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#62 2011-10-21 10:59:41

Demon

$ pacman -Qq | grep gtk2 | wc -l

Yes, that's right! big_smile Just checked, and HTML5 youtube videos in Opera work fantastic, even better than with flashplugin, so I've removed it finally. I've also removed gtk2, because there's no need for it anymore. smile Yaay!

Board footer