You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-08 12:51:45

Nichollan

Resolving the Underground Internet

Alright, so I am currently trying to figure out how this idea may come to frution. I may update this post when I figure out how. Of course I would appreciate hints as I am quite new to name servers and web servers.

I want to have a name server that resolves ICANN names by querying name servers that are fast for that job, and resolves OpenNIC names by querying servers that resolve OpenNIC names. 

I also want the name server to resolve .i2p sites to a single web server that function as a web proxy to eepsites – serving eepsites based on what is given in the Host HTTP header. That way, people who use the name server should not have to change their proxy settings to access eepsites. 

I was thinking of using the BIND name server and the nginx web server for the job, but if these are too crippled for these jobs – please spare me some time pointing it out.

I want to be able to do this because Slashdot and others have really gotten into me about how the Internet may come to be controlled by some sort of police state – and even if it isn't, it is exciting to easiliy be able to share access to an "underground Internet."

#2 2011-01-15 02:23:52

IgnorantGuru
Website

Re: Resolving the Underground Internet

It won't do it all, but you might have a look at pdnsd also, a DNS cache that has some flexible abilities and can use multiple DNS servers based on customizable rules.

#3 2011-01-15 03:58:40

stqn
Website

While I think that having to mess with proxy settings in order to use I2P is a big problem for its "mass market" acceptance, isn't there a security risk in allowing transparent access to both I2P and the "normal" Internet? An eepsite could contain links that point to the normal Internet and thus give up the user's IP address...

That is, unless there is an HTML filter that removes such links from web pages. I think Freenet has such a mecanism, but I'm not sure as far as I2P is concerned. This attack isn't listed in I2P's threat model.

#4 2011-01-15 13:54:59

Nichollan

stqn wrote:

While I think that having to mess with proxy settings in order to use I2P is a big problem for its "mass market" acceptance, isn't there a security risk in allowing transparent access to both I2P and the "normal" Internet? An eepsite could contain links that point to the normal Internet and thus give up the user's IP address...

An eepsite could probably have for instance an iframe to a "normal Internet" web page that identifies the visitor's IP address, yes. I'm not very educated about the nature of I2P, but I understand that it is "pseudonymous," so if the pseudonym of the visitor was associated with an IP address, then the activities associated with that pseudonym could also be associated with that IP address. This should probably not be much of a concern if few activities were associated with the pseudonym.

I haven't got very far in this quest. It could seem as if I would have to maintain my DNS server as a root name server though if I was to use BIND, because it doesn't seem to be as flexible otherwise.

Last edited by Nichollan (2011-01-15 15:16:56)

Board footer