You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-19 00:36:40

vinhsynd

Personal SMTP Server Good/Bad Idea?

Its been about 3 months and everything is working fine on every machine that I have installed Arch on.

Ultimately this has resulted in a lot of boredom and excessive video game playing - which has got me in trouble with my wife as my hogging the TV cuts into her HGTV time.

I've mulled over a few solutions to this issue:

1) Buy another TV
2) Give Allan ssh access to my machines so something will break
3) Lean how to setup a mail server with remote users, web/IMAP access, SSL, and spam filtering.

I picked option 3.

After reading around I've found some very useful guides. However most of them either defer setting up an SMTP server as not part of the guides scope, or they say its a bad idea and recommend using your ISP's server.

I have managed to find a guide on how set one up. However, I thought I'd pause and get some opinions before I started on what pitfalls I should look out for from people who've already done it.

I plan on using Postfix if its of any help in the advice giving.

The older I get the less time I have.

#2 2011-01-19 03:02:09

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Personal SMTP Server Good/Bad Idea?

sure. you just need to setup a domain (assuming you have one already), then an spf record, then an mx record, then setup and configure DKIM, setup reverse dns, make sure you have a static ip (if it is dynamic then use a dynamic dns updater). Also periodically check to make sure you don't end up in a blacklist.

Oh yeah. Setup your mail server, and make sure it isn't an open relay.

I think that about covers it?
<.<
>.>

ps. I recommend dropping the cable-tv  smile

Last edited by cactus (2011-01-19 03:03:09)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2011-01-19 03:05:00

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Personal SMTP Server Good/Bad Idea?

vinhsynd wrote:

2) Give Allan ssh access to my machines so something will break

Ssh access is not needed! tongue

Board footer