You are not logged in.

#126 2011-01-15 15:17:21

Spacenick

Re: Latest udev causes kernel panics (something about libata)

I can't find anyhting on this in the kernel bug tracker, has someone posted it yet? Or should I do it?
EDIT: Nevermind it's https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26792

Last edited by Spacenick (2011-01-15 15:25:42)

#127 2011-01-15 15:35:25

Wilco

soylent_green_is_hamster wrote:
Wilco wrote:
pdork3 wrote:

i'm reading this thread for some days now. it seems that no one really knows whats the problem, yet.
on my machine i'm having the same issues as described. kernel panics at boot, sometimes 5 times in a row.
panics occur at different boot states. sometimes very early, sometimes later (when daemons loading).
i have a fresh installed arch with all updates. no patches, no nothing.
my system has pata hard disc and pata optical.
mounting cd/dvd also gives kernel panic sometimes. see picture!

http://img156.imagevenue.com/img.php?im … _504lo.jpg

i think its a pata problem. anyone with sata drives having problems?

I have system lockups with a SATA only system. Don't know if that's the same problem because I don't get a kernel panic, but just a hard freeze; I can only hold the power button, no flashing leds and no logs.

I have a SATA system too. It boots OK, but I get the same random hard freeze occasionally on mounting or unmounting dvds. Nothing in the logs either!

Then we have the same problem, I only got the boot kernel panic once but mounting DVD's causes hard freezes. I haven't had the problem since downgrading to udev-164 but then again, I haven't done extensive testing yet. Here's my other topic about the same problem you have. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=111586

#128 2011-01-15 17:33:09

windexh8er

Malte wrote:

Had the same problem with a Macbook Pro 7,1. "Something about libata" totally discribes my recent problem after updating to udev-165-1. However, "edd=off" fixed it. Thanks windexh8er.

Glad this has helped, at least, a few people.  I can say for sure now that turning edd off on any system that I had the issue has resolved it (tested on 4 boxes now).  I grabbed an old Dell Latitude C640 for some wireless testing this morning and am loading it and going to test it now.  System is upgrading as I type this so, in theory, it shouldn't boot after reloading for the kernel upgrade.  Will post my results - but for those that have systems affected try adding "edd=off" in your kernel line of Grub (making sure you don't accidentally put it in the initrd line obviously).

At least with this "fix" it's a quick and easy test with no patching involved.

#129 2011-01-15 18:12:00

soylent_green_is_hamster

Wilco wrote:
Wilco wrote:

I have system lockups with a SATA only system. Don't know if that's the same problem because I don't get a kernel panic, but just a hard freeze; I can only hold the power button, no flashing leds and no logs.

I have a SATA system too. It boots OK, but I get the same random hard freeze occasionally on mounting or unmounting dvds. Nothing in the logs either!

Then we have the same problem, I only got the boot kernel panic once but mounting DVD's causes hard freezes. I haven't had the problem since downgrading to udev-164 but then again, I haven't done extensive testing yet. Here's my other topic about the same problem you have. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=111586

Yeah - I too bought a new burner sad

I was also seeing some "ata port is slow to respond, please be patient" messages on whatever sata channel I had the drive plugged into during boot. I don't know if that is related, but it was what convinced me the drive was faulty.

WIll downgrade udev sometime this weekend and give that a go when I get around to it....

#130 2011-01-16 15:06:43

guidito73

I downgraded to 164-3 yesterday and now I have the kernel panic again.

What could be wrong even with the downgrade?

#131 2011-01-16 16:32:57

windexh8er

guidito73 wrote:

Did you try edd=off?

#132 2011-01-16 19:05:04

nouveau

@windexh8er:

A little stupid question: if i have the kernel line "kernel /vmlinuz26 cryptdevice=/dev/sda2:main root=/dev/mapper/main-root ro", where do i add the edd=off? Do i place it at the end or in the middle?

Last edited by nouveau (2011-01-16 19:28:28)

#133 2011-01-17 10:01:57

sunaj

@nouveau: I doesn´t matter where you put it but i´d guess it is more convenient when you put it at the end.

#134 2011-01-17 10:11:49

nouveau

I did and it doesn't worked... but the most terrible thing is that my system doesn't want to start anymore and i need a way to downgrade udev, so i must see how to do it...

#135 2011-01-17 19:24:03

cgarcia

cgarcia wrote:

In the last month or so udev has been upgraded 4 times. I wonder if this package stays in the testing repository (no udev is now in testing) a few days before going into "production". I still remember the day bluez was upgraded and segfaulted at boot in all systems (I use a bluetooth mouse). Yes, it was a upstream bug, but shouldn't we leave all core packages in testing a few days?. I mean, the computers using the testing repository may not find all the bugs, but in some cases may help.

I just have downgraded to 164-3 but it's too soon to report success. My machine was upgraded to 165-1 on january 4 and I detected the first kernel panics at boot yesterday (january 9) and they were several.  I did not have any problem between january 5 and january 8. My first panic was interestingly after removing/inserting a just blanked DVD-RW disk (I don't burn a disk in months). The rest of DVD work was fine, and only *later* boots have ended in panic, including today's first boot a few minutes ago.

Edit to point: I still have 165-1 in another machine (Eee PC) with not a single crash in the past days.

After several days, I confirm that reverting to 164-3 I haven't had any other crash (except the first time, because I forgot to run "mkinitcpio -p kernel26" after downgrading). Thus in my case this seems a udev-only related problem.

Last edited by cgarcia (2011-01-17 19:30:23)

#136 2011-01-17 19:28:14

cgarcia

nouveau wrote:

I did and it doesn't worked... but the most terrible thing is that my system doesn't want to start anymore and i need a way to downgrade udev, so i must see how to do it...

Unless you have cleaned your package cache, the previous version should still be in /var/cache/pacman/pkg. Search for a udev-164-3* file and reinstall it using pacman -U:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Do … g_Packages

Then run "mkinitcpio -p kernel26" before rebooting.

EDIT: Sorry: I did not realize that you can't boot (even after several retries?). Well, perhaps you can boot from a usb key and replace /boot/kernel26.img by another image with a previous udev version (or manually remove udevd/udevadm from your current kernel26.img, it would perhaps still boot with a few errors or huge pauses... knowing udev boot scripts behaviour...). Another idea: place your hard disk in another machine (where udev 165 at least boots) and downgrade there.

Last edited by cgarcia (2011-01-17 19:42:57)

#137 2011-01-17 19:45:23

TigTex

you can always chroot...

Just to report that I have the same kernel panic with this old pentium4 3.0, 50% the times it boots.
It's an intel chipset board (uses ata_piix). asus p4p800s, chipset i848p.
No crashes at all with my mediacenter (also old hardware but uses a VIA chipset, pata_via).

edd=off doesnt solve the problem to me.
ps: kernel 2.6.37 here, CLEAN install.

Last edited by TigTex (2011-01-17 19:49:11)

.::. TigTex @ Portugal .::.

#138 2011-01-17 22:02:33

Juanlu001

I only wanted to say thank you very much to olive: it's two days since I applied his patch and the failure has disappeared in my laptop. Thank you also for asking about the process that Daniel_F had followed and for requesting the sources.

Juan Luis Cano
Pybonacci - http://pybonacci.wordpress.com/ Blog about Python and Scientific Computing in Spanish

#139 2011-01-18 06:13:53

Kilzool

Well I tried EDD=off  only to get a Kernel Panic screen, again, upon booting.

I think I will go back to Olive's patch... that worked all the time.

#140 2011-01-18 14:55:12

guidito73

windexh8er wrote:
guidito73 wrote:

Did you try edd=off?

Sorry, I forgot to make # mkinitcpio -p kernel26. That did the trick.

#141 2011-01-18 16:09:14

dedanna1029

I get the same, except I get flashing LEDs. I can't do anything but hit the reset button on the front of the comp. It's random, mostly when I'm burning a lot of cds or dvds. And, this is on Fallback. Other than that, things go okay with it.

@fast_rizwaan, is there a reason you didn't use the code tags? That's awfully big and long. I'm not trying to be smartie, but that is a long post, and somewhat hard to read for those of we old generation who can't see jack any more... big_smile

Still no fix. I would think this high priority to fix. It appears a lot are unable to get into Arch, in some cases not on Fallback, either. I realize that Arch is a "bleeding-edge, rolling release distro", but I have never once seen it this unstable, and this is the first I haven't been able to get in on the main kernel. Heck, I've installed it for businesses even, it's that stable normally. Those of us who are complaining, we just want our normal Arch back is all. Just sayin'. I realize it's probably upstream too, but dang, y'know? It seems upstream would move faster than this, and so would the Arch devels, since it's such a showstopper of a bug for regular users.

guidito73 wrote:

I don't know much about these things, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant. Doesn't mkinitcpio run on boot anyway if it doesn't when udev and/or the kernel are installed? I don't understand the need to run this I guess manually. The next question I have, is do I need to be su or su - to run it? Thanks.

Last edited by dedanna1029 (2011-01-18 16:18:02)

#142 2011-01-18 17:56:48

splippity

thanks olive.... seems Im working better then before... Didnt try it extensively but so far Im booting and swapping out dvds without kernel panics

Would have used Daniel_F's pkg but he took it down. Wasnt difficult to make the pkg with abs but Im lazy.

Thanks.

#143 2011-01-18 22:29:06

Madbunny

So does anyone have a link to the package that I can use with pacman?

#144 2011-01-18 22:36:23

skunktrader

dedanna1029 wrote:
guidito73 wrote:

I don't know much about these things, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant. Doesn't mkinitcpio run on boot anyway if it doesn't when udev and/or the kernel are installed? I don't understand the need to run this I guess manually.

You need to recreate the initrd image so that the version of udev included in the image is the "old" version instead of the "current" version that is in there now.

dedanna1029 wrote:

The next question I have, is do I need to be su or su - to run it? Thanks.

The presence of the "# " characters prefacing the command implies that the command needs to run as root or sudo

#145 2011-01-19 01:56:09

splippity

Madbunny wrote:

So does anyone have a link to the package that I can use with pacman?

no but use olive's link to a build you can use:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … he_ABS_way

#146 2011-01-19 03:01:09

beerad

There has been a patch to libata-scsi.c posted to the linux-hotplug list by the ATA maintainer that seems very promising. I haven't had any problems since applying it, and I've been stressing my system pretty good. If you're comfortable running an upstream kernel, and patching the source, you might want to give it a try.

Hopefully this will make it into 2.6.37.1 when it comes out. Or maybe the arch developers will apply it to the distro kernel after it sees a little more testing and makes it to lkml.

#147 2011-01-19 15:03:26

dedanna1029

I am so so glad I paid attention at the bug. Per Tobias Powalowski at the bug in comments:

Have you tried the following:
udevadm info --convert-db
and rebuild your initramfs by running mkinitcpio -p kernel26

... I took it a step further.

I umounted all of my external usb drives, made sure none of my other hard drives were mounted, and made sure there was no cd or dvd in my dvd drive, then:

1. Logged out

2. Hit Ctl+Alt+F1

3. Logged into root

Then, did:

init 3
udevadm info --convert-db
mkinitcpio -p kernel26

Then, rebooted.

... it works. He is a god. I still have several more reboots to go before I can confirm it's a keeper, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Last edited by dedanna1029 (2011-01-19 15:04:13)

#148 2011-01-19 15:37:44

cjpembo

This is a long shot...

My arch laptop was running up-to-date arch without any boot panics as of Jan 17.  Yesterday I installed Solaris 11, using the Solaris Live CD gparted gui to shrink my windows partition and remove my arch install.  Solaris 11 ran fine.  Switched back to arch today.  When using fdisk to partition my drive I get the following message:

# fdisk /dev/sda

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

I've tried just about everything to wipe the partition table: 

1.  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M

2.  installed windows to see it it could fix the partition table...

3.  tried to use the Solaris 11 Live CD gparted to fix the issue

When using the Solaris 11 Live CD to try a fix; now gparted sees my single drive as two separate devices (NOT partitions) each of a different size.

I was able to use fdisk and arch is now up and running... with panics.  So something is in error with my partition table.  AND NOW I EXPERIENCE THE KERNEL PANICS.  This never happeded prior to my partition table errors; and this laptop had been booted dozens of time around the time frame of this thread. 

It is a long shot, but could any of you with this issue please see if you are having the same fdisk warning message.  It might just be pure coincidence. 

Just do the following:

1.  # fdisk /dev/yourdrive
   (the warning message will be here)
2.  hit "q" to get out without changing anything

Perhaps there is a relation between partition table types and the kernel panic?

#149 2011-01-19 17:19:36

mechoid9

@dedana1029: Am I right to assume that one would need to apply olive's patch before following the steps you took in your last post? Because I've tried following your steps without applying olive's patch and the subsequent boot offered the same kernel panic. And yes, I followed all of your steps (exit x, C-A-F1, login as root, init 3, udevadm info --convert-db, mkinitcpio -p kernel26, reboot). If I need to apply olive's patch, I'll have to wait until I get home from work. hmm

@cjpembo: fdisk reported no warning/error messages when I used it as you described. I think that it's just an unfortunate coincedence. sad

**Edit:
When I made it home my first boot decided to have a kernel panic. My second boot, while successful, did not correctly see my touchpad (Xorg never loaded the synaptics module, I assume because udev didn't report the Alps touchpad (the logs confirm this)), and my network card wouldn't detect. Well, I needed internet to download olive's patch, so I rebooted, and everything "seemed" to be working correctly, so I applied the patch and followed dedana1029's steps that I mentioned above. I then rebooted and immediately got the same kernel panic from before. The following boot was the same as my second boot (no synaptics), but with my wireless working correctly. I'm on the sixth boot since coming home, and everything works, well, touchpad, wireless and no kernel panic boot. I'm going to wait a little longer before I downgrade udev, but this is quit the bothersome issue. I've never experience a kernel panic on this machine before the events of this happening.

Last edited by mechoid9 (2011-01-20 01:16:43)

#150 2011-01-19 18:10:47

cjpembo

@mechoid9 Thanks for testing your partition table.

I've managed to repair my partition table and now I am reinstalling.  I'll boot it up 20x and see if it ever borks.  It's weird; my machine was up to date and booting fine while others were having the issue.  I was "immune" until I reinstalled.  I'm only experiencing this on my 32bit machine.  My 64-bit desktop is fine.  Anyone having trouble in 64-bit?

Edit:  still borks after fixing partition table.

Last edited by cjpembo (2011-01-19 18:42:45)

Board footer