You are not logged in.

#51 2011-01-22 09:14:26

KimTjik

Re: new thunar, can't see removable devices

Leonid.I wrote:

You meant DM? No, I don't have any DM and yes, I have trash in thunar's right hand panel...

Can someone explain to me finally, what is the point of putting dbus-launch into .xinitrc?

I meant a Desktop Environment. As seen by processes you run a complete xfce-session. I got that working, but my question was directed at use of Thunar outside of a xfce-session.

I can't find any reason to put dbus-launch into .xinitrc for a xfce-session. I've tested with or without, or with or without ck-launch-session, I can't see any difference in either behaviour or performance. I've tested it both started from SLiM and tty console. It's like Xfce launches everything with dbus-launch by itself.

I have also stripped out dbus-launch and ck-launch-session for my standard VM, Awesome, and the only thing I need to get Thunar show Trash, Network paths and not mounted partitions (even though the latter is something I don't prefer) is to run dbus-launch thunar or nautilus --no-desktop. At the moment dbus is only started as daemon in rc.conf and from .xinitrc I start udiskie & followed by a plain exec Awesome.

#52 2011-01-22 09:49:03

xamaco

KimTjik wrote:
I can't find any reason to put dbus-launch into .xinitrc for a xfce-session. I've tested with or without, or with or without ck-launch-session, I can't see any difference in either behaviour or performance. I've tested it both started from SLiM and tty console. It's like Xfce launches everything with dbus-launch by itself.

If you get in an out of your WM, you don't get duplicate gvfs processes ?

#53 2011-01-22 09:50:28

KimTjik

xamaco wrote:

KimTjik wrote:

If you get in an out of your WM, you don't get duplicate gvfs processes ?

I'll check when I get time for it. I usually only run one session per boot.

Update:

When Thunar is started gvfs processes are started. With or without dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session certain gvfs processes stay between sessions. I'm not certain though that they become duplicated.

Last edited by KimTjik (2011-01-22 11:43:09)

#54 2011-01-22 10:54:11

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Leonid.I wrote:
.:B:. wrote:

No dice here. Prefixing Thunar with dbus-launch doesn't help a bit, with every USB stick I try Thunar complains 'unsupported USB device type' or 'unknown block device type'. I'm running Openbox and using ck-launch-session to call openbox-session, and I have dbus launched through .xinitrc. Trash works btw (using gvfs-lite). Already trashed Thunar's configuration files.

gvfs-lite from aur? Clearly, the PKGBUILD there is broken... I guess you need gnome-disk-utils, which will pull all the deps, so you'd better do pacman -S gvfs. This might also explain why you can see the trash, but not external media.

Thanks a lot, it does seem indeed that gnome-disk-utility is needed. Now the USB stick just shows and mounts. smile

I guess that makes me happy till the next Xfce upgrade tongue.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#55 2011-01-22 17:05:23

Leonid.I

KimTjik wrote:

I meant a Desktop Environment. As seen by processes you run a complete xfce-session. I got that working, but my question was directed at use of Thunar outside of a xfce-session.

I have also stripped out dbus-launch and ck-launch-session for my standard VM, Awesome, and the only thing I need to get Thunar show Trash, Network paths and not mounted partitions (even though the latter is something I don't prefer) is to run dbus-launch thunar or nautilus --no-desktop. At the moment dbus is only started as daemon in rc.conf and from .xinitrc I start udiskie & followed by a plain exec Awesome.

Ah, sorry then. I never actually used thunar outside of xfce, so you know more than me here. Also thanks for the dbus-related explanation smile

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#56 2011-01-23 11:56:06

xamaco

I choosed to build a custom openbox environment to get a light GUI. To get the new thunar running, I ended up enabling too many gnome dependencies. My environment got almost as heavy as using Gnome as a DM.
The latest thunar incarnation helped me getting rid of hal at a too heavy cost, in my mind...
Now, I'm testing a new environment without hal, and without dbus. I'm using autofs for automounting my removable medias and rox as a file manager. I'm far of being fully satisfied with these new settings, but I got back to a really light WM. Lighter can even mean more powerful, as I just found.

I don't want to pollute this thread too much. I opened a topic on this :
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 77#p882177

#57 2011-01-23 17:57:07

linkmaster03

I have added the dbus-launch line to my .xinitrc:

if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
       eval "$(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)"
fi

I use ck-launch-session:

exec ck-launch-session awesome

...and I have installed gvfs. I can see my removable media in Thunar, but when I try to mount it, Thunar says "Not Authorized". Oddly, everything works when I launch Thunar with "dbus-launch thunar". I have dbus session processes already running in awesome, so why do I need to use dbus-launch with Thunar for it to work?

#58 2011-01-23 18:32:17

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Do you have gnome-disk-utility installed? I have the same dbus stance in my .xinitrc, works fine here.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#59 2011-01-23 19:05:22

Leonid.I

linkmaster03 wrote:

I have added the dbus-launch line to my .xinitrc:

fi

I use ck-launch-session:

exec ck-launch-session awesome

...and I have installed gvfs. I can see my removable media in Thunar, but when I try to mount it, Thunar says "Not Authorized". Oddly, everything works when I launch Thunar with "dbus-launch thunar". I have dbus session processes already running in awesome, so why do I need to use dbus-launch with Thunar for it to work?

Probably because thunar somehow connect to dbus through xfce4-session... Does putting dbus-launch Thunar--daemon in .xinitrc help?

.:B:. wrote:

I have the same dbus stance in my .xinitrc, works fine here.

Off-topic, but still...
Hmm, I tried that (this is also done by startxfce4 script), and found a wierd issue. If I return to tty1 (from where startx was called), and press enter, which should give me just a blank line, the X session on tty7 freezes (the only escape is ctrl-c on tty1 and startx again). Calling dbus-launch with --autolaunch --close-stderr helps... Am I the only one who has this problem?

pkill -9 systemd

#60 2011-01-24 20:36:48

anansi

tried all of the above solutions and none of them works hmm

#61 2011-01-24 21:04:31

_abraxas

anansi wrote:

try that:

_abraxas wrote:

#62 2011-01-24 21:08:28

anansi

_abraxas wrote:
anansi wrote:

try that:

_abraxas wrote:

isn't it too much as for a "user friendly" DE aka Xfce? wink

if the thunar doesn't get a proper fix soon will have to do that... manual mounting is boring wink

#63 2011-01-24 21:25:22

Leonid.I

Well, with the amount of gnome deps on my system right now, I am thinking of just installing the full gnome hmm The only thing that stops me is the nearing 3.0. On the bright side, I can now afford chromium without worrying about gconf smile

Last edited by Leonid.I (2011-01-24 21:25:39)

pkill -9 systemd

#64 2011-01-24 22:11:30

_abraxas

anansi wrote:
_abraxas wrote:
anansi wrote:

try that:

_abraxas wrote:

if the thunar doesn't get a proper fix soon will have to do that... manual mounting is boring wink

that's not a manual mount, but a little little bit of manual configuration. this is what you want if you don't want to have gnome-dependencies.

#65 2011-01-25 07:47:22

anansi

_abraxas wrote:
anansi wrote:
_abraxas wrote:

try that:

that's not a manual mount, but a little little bit of manual configuration. this is what you want if you don't want to have gnome-dependencies.

I know that... I wasn't talking about udiskie and udev rules but about manual mounting with mount command
will have to configure udiskie or udev rules if the thunar doesn't get the fix...  atm I'm manually mounting my thumbs (I use samba with my androphone though)
and I don't care about gnome deps that much

[edit]
I've just checked if Thunar mounts usb drives on my eee and it works. Strange that everything is setup exactly as on my desktop which has those mounting problems...
[/edit]

Last edited by anansi (2011-01-25 10:27:31)

#66 2011-01-26 22:09:59

ngaba
Pacman Developer

Well, I've read this whole thread, but I couldn't figure out what is the consensus for getting this crap to work...

1.) I have gvfs installed.
2.) I have dbus line in DEAMONS, but no hal.
3.) My ~/.xinitrc:
---
#!/bin/bash
fi
exec dbus-launch ck-launch-session startxfce4
---
4.) I am using slim.
5.) I still get "thunar-volman: Could not detect the volume corresponding to the device." (and other) error messages when inserting CD on pen drive. I can never see any CD or pendrive icon on the "desktop" when the device is inserted.

So what _exactly_ should I do? Thanks.

#67 2011-01-26 22:23:17

linkmaster03

Leonid.I wrote:

Does putting dbus-launch Thunar--daemon in .xinitrc help?

Nope. Maybe I'll just try udiskie or finally make the switch to pcmanfm. It looks like it has a much brighter future than Thunar anyways. tongue

#68 2011-01-26 23:15:16

goetzkluge
Website

I read the whole thread too.

Since the upgrade, Thunar detected USB memory sticks, but I had to mount them explicitely. There was no automount anymore. Also the device wasn't enymore in /media/disc. Now its an akward /media/xxxx-xxxx (with x being a hex digit).

There was no unmount option offered in Thunar, only eject. After eject I had do remove the stick and put it back in order to be able to mount it again which is related to an exercise described earlier in this thread. Workaround using the shell: umount /media/xxxx-xxx

Last edited by goetzkluge (2011-01-27 00:14:50)

#69 2011-01-26 23:56:49

_abraxas

ngaba wrote:

Well, I've read this whole thread, but I couldn't figure out what is the consensus for getting this crap to work...

3.) My ~/.xinitrc:
---
#!/bin/bash
fi
---
4.) I am using slim.
5.) I still get "thunar-volman: Could not detect the volume corresponding to the device." (and other) error messages when inserting CD on pen drive. I can never see any CD or pendrive icon on the "desktop" when the device is inserted.

i had the same issue. it only worked for me when starting thunar with "dbus-launch thunar". try that. but after a while, i was pissed, because sometimes it took ages to start.

#70 2011-01-27 00:55:48

ngaba
Pacman Developer

_abraxas: "dbus-launch thunar" doesn't help here :-(

Last edited by ngaba (2011-01-27 00:56:12)

#71 2011-01-27 16:47:38

Spot

"dbus-launch thunar" is working fine here (Fluxbox wm)

Adding "dbus-launch" to the .xinitrc and "hal" to the "rc.conf" doesn't help.... also Thunar needs ages to start... but at least it starts.

#72 2011-01-27 21:31:52

Leonid.I

ngaba wrote:

3.) My ~/.xinitrc:
---
#!/bin/bash
fi
---
4.) I am using slim.

hmm should work. I would say, remove $HOME/{.config,.local,.cache}. Also,

#!/bin/bash
fi

should be replaced with

exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

as long as you have dbus in DAEMONS, and because /usr/bin/startxfce4 already calls dbus-launch with exact same arguments as you have. I also have slim (call it from DAEMONS), so it's not a problem.

Are you saying that gvfs does not get started at login?

EDIT: thunar-volman has nothing to do with automounting. This task is handled by thunar.

Last edited by Leonid.I (2011-01-27 21:34:49)

pkill -9 systemd

#73 2011-01-28 15:55:49

Spot

I need (with fluxbox) the dbus-stuff in the xinitrc, otherwise Trash+remov.dev doesnt work.
Despite I put dbus into the daemons-list...

#74 2011-01-29 05:14:52

Gumper

The only way that I can get this to work is with hal installed. I removed hal from my system yesterday and I noticed today that my removable devices were not showing up anymore in thunar. I tried using a udev rule but that didn't help either. With the udev rule the devices would be mounted to /media but they still didn't show up in Thunar's side pane. So, I removed the udev rule and reinstalled hal. Now they mount to media when plugged in and show up in the side pane.

Why must I have hal installed in order to get this to work?

Nautilus works fine without a udev rule and without hal. So why can't Thunar!

Ready yourselves, ready yourselves
Let us shine the light of Jesus in the darkest night
Ready yourselves, ready yourselves
May the powers of darkness tremble as our praises rise .... Casting Crowns-Until The Whole World Hears.

#75 2011-01-30 11:25:17

Spot

Yeah now I can usa the trash and see thj removable devices, but cannot mount them because I'm not "authorized" any more.... sad
If I start thunar as root, the trash & removable devices don't show up at all -.- ....

Last edited by Spot (2011-01-30 11:26:21)

Board footer