You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-12 11:14:27

phasing

Problem Wireless

Hy,

About a couple of months I tried to improve the capabilities of my wireless card. Which means I messed with the iwconfig wlan0 settings. And know I can't have a stable connection, it's always going down.

I'm using wicd for the wireless manager, i remember that when i used ubuntu, network manager didn't work in my university(to many AP?) so i switched to wicd and all worked fine.

Are these the normal values for the different settings?

My iwconfig wlan0

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"eduroam"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point: 00:3A:98:BC:9C:F0   
          Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=49/70  Signal level=-61 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

TY,

Phasing

Last edited by phasing (2011-01-12 11:17:00)

ArchLinux. The beauty is in the simplicity

#2 2011-01-22 01:58:56

empthollow

Re: Problem Wireless

your settings are VERY similar to mine.  I have an atheros9k card in my netbook and maintain a solid connection -- that is except when my router takes a dump-- I use wicd to make my connection.  If you are expierencing drops, the usual suspects for me are the router and the driver for the wireless card.  Depending non your card there may be alternative drivers.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#3 2011-01-23 03:26:20

phasing

empthollow wrote:

your settings are VERY similar to mine.  I have an atheros9k card in my netbook and maintain a solid connection -- that is except when my router takes a dump-- I use wicd to make my connection.  If you are expierencing drops, the usual suspects for me are the router and the driver for the wireless card.  Depending non your card there may be alternative drivers.

well, i have an intel 4965 agn, and it's driving me crazy. allways droping.. sometimes it's stable, others it just keeps disconnecting.

I will try to see alternate drivers, but wouldnt that mean a new kernel?

TY

#4 2011-01-23 03:59:53

brianhanna

Your connection looks a little on the weak side.  49/70 may not seem that bad but it could explain frequent drops.  You mentioned this is at your university.  If you're trying to connect in a dorm room or something, you may try a USB wireless adapter with a big, high gain antenna.  I have an Alfa that works well and they advertise Linux compatibility (mine has an Atheros chip).

#5 2011-01-23 09:08:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

FYI any messing you did with iwconfig is not persistent, so it is not relevant to your current issue.

#6 2011-01-23 20:04:47

phasing

brianhanna wrote:

Your connection looks a little on the weak side.  49/70 may not seem that bad but it could explain frequent drops.  You mentioned this is at your university.  If you're trying to connect in a dorm room or something, you may try a USB wireless adapter with a big, high gain antenna.  I have an Alfa that works well and they advertise Linux compatibility (mine has an Atheros chip).

I really don't want no buy new hardware, because i know it worked well before.

empthollow wrote:

FYI any messing you did with iwconfig is not persistent, so it is not relevant to your current issue.

That is good to know! TY

Could it be the laptop-mode?

Phasing

#7 2011-01-23 21:16:12

brianhanna

If it worked well before, it may indicate your environment changed.  Unfortunately, your driver doesn't seem to give the noise level but based on the fact that your connection speed is down to 1 Mb/sec, I'd guess your noise level is not too far under your signal level of -61 dBm.

You said there are lots of APs in the area and there are probably lots of other computers in the area.  All that means lots of noise.  If you have cordless phones, microwave ovens, and other electronics between you and the AP, that won't help either.

#8 2011-01-24 00:27:00

phasing

brianhanna wrote:

If it worked well before, it may indicate your environment changed.  Unfortunately, your driver doesn't seem to give the noise level but based on the fact that your connection speed is down to 1 Mb/sec, I'd guess your noise level is not too far under your signal level of -61 dBm.

You said there are lots of APs in the area and there are probably lots of other computers in the area.  All that means lots of noise.  If you have cordless phones, microwave ovens, and other electronics between you and the AP, that won't help either.

The connection speed gets down to that value for some seconds, but rapidly returns to the normal of 54Mb/sec.

Maybe its the noise, but my friends with Windouz7 don't have as many problems.

Board footer