You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-24 04:23:40

startover

Different linux distros sharing the same /home folder?

what is the best way to share the same /home directories between different linux distribution?

I mean, I want to have both , say, Fedora and Arch, and I want to find my files at home no matter which linux distro I boot into. But if I mount the same partition for /home then I may mess up the configurations saved inside /home directory. so what can I do?

#2 2011-01-24 04:25:41

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Different linux distros sharing the same /home folder?

Did you search the forums ? There was a thread for this same topic just yesterday. Please search the forums before posting. and welcome to the forums.

bottom line: since Arch uses newer version of almost all software, your config files can get messed up between versions.

Either use a different username in both distros or just use a separate home.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-01-24 04:41:45

startover

Inxsible wrote:

Did you search the forums ? There was a thread for this same topic just yesterday. Please search the forums before posting. and welcome to the forums.

bottom line: since Arch uses newer version of almost all software, your config files can get messed up between versions.

your bottom line is just good for yourself
for your information, there exists a way to do that not mentioned in yesterday or the days before topics!!!!

the way to do that is to mount "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", ... directories inside the home directory using the "bind" option, to the respective directories. But this doesn't seem to me the best way to do this and that's why my topic starts with "what is the best way ..."

#4 2011-01-24 05:05:17

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

and I did suggest a way to do it. so I don't see a point to your ranting. The "best" way as you describe it, is purely subjective and therefore this thread is pointless. Ask a specific question so people can help you.

This forum is for helping people solve difficulties not to make your decision for you.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-01-24 05:36:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

startover wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

your bottom line is just good for yourself
for your information, there exists a way to do that not mentioned in yesterday or the days before topics!!!!

the way to do that is to mount "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", ... directories inside the home directory using the "bind" option, to the respective directories. But this doesn't seem to me the best way to do this and that's why my topic starts with "what is the best way ..."

What a good idea, posting asking for ways without specifying what you've already tried before, the result, and what you liked/didn't about them.

Nope, let's just create a thread with a very generic question which was just asked within the last 48 hours, I'm sure the response will be different.

Please create a new thread specifying your question, this one is closed for being too similar.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer