You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-23 17:06:48

CaptainKirk

New Install Bootup Flakey

I have a new i5 machine with Intel mobo and 4G RAM. I just installed Arch and Xfce. If I cold boot the machine, sometimes it dies on bootup on something like

start_secondary
or
i386_start_kernel

If I then hard reboot, it comes up fine to command line login. I login and then Xfce launches automatically and it works fine. I installed slim but didn't yet configure the graphic login screen.

If I logout of Xfce then I see a few errors and things but I think it's just X things. When X launches it says "Could not lookup internet address for myhost. This may prevent Xfce from operating properly..." I think these are small things and I know more or less where to poke around to fix them.

I now quit X and run sudo reboot. Dies again on "start_secondary" right after "cpu_idle" So I hard reboot and it comes up fine. Now when I login Xfce doesn't launch automatically. OK that I can figure out.

But the failure to boot properly is a problem. sad

Any ideas what this may be and where I look to fix it?

Don't know if this helps, but here's dmesg: http://pastebin.com/VryGcNac Does say in there actually

16 Processors exceeds NR_CPUS limit of 8

Don't know what that means however.

Thank you.

#2 2011-01-24 19:55:54

CaptainKirk

Re: New Install Bootup Flakey

No ideas? sad

Should I try to install Arch again from scratch? Perhaps I did something wrong when I installed? I haven't yet really used this machine for anything because it seems something is not quite right, so I don't mind to reinstall.

#3 2011-01-24 19:59:09

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Lately Xfce has been having a bunch of problems since the new upgrade. It could be related. There are a couple of threads talking about their boot freezing every 2-3 times. Let me see if I can find those threads...

if a solution is not available then you should probably file a bug report upstream.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-01-25 00:48:26

anonymous_user

Did you configure your HOSTS file? I think "myhost" is the default name.

#5 2011-01-25 11:16:04

CaptainKirk

I think I will reinstall (fresh partitions and everything) and perhaps try Gnome. I don't really care b/c this is a fast PC anyway. B/c just now I did

sudo reboot

and it stopped on i386_start_kernel so I did a hard reboot and it stopped on start_secondary. Hard boot again worked...

Maybe something went bad with the install. sad

Thank you and I will start a new thread if this issue persists.

#6 2011-01-25 13:29:33

Tomino

i have the same problem with booting my machine sad sometimes it just stop at i386_start_kernel

#7 2011-01-25 16:57:04

CaptainKirk

I reinstalled and didnt' get this. But I partitioned it wrong so I installed AGAIN and now it again crashes on start_secondary

sad

#8 2011-01-26 16:24:35

CaptainKirk

Something interesting is that when I first reinstalled and I put in the Arch CD and rebooted, the arch installer couldn't find my hard disk. I rebooted it and it found it.

Once when I tried to run PartedMagic Live CD also I rebooted and it said "Can't find boot media. Press any key to continue." I hard rebooted and it worked.

Would seem to me this is sounds like a hardware, problem, no?

#9 2011-01-26 16:26:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Probably. what error did you get when you rebooted the first time? After you installed, were you trying to boot into the installed version or still the Arch Live CD?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#10 2011-01-26 16:57:11

CaptainKirk

Same thing basically. I actually just soft rebooted now several times into my installed Arch and it worked fine. Also VectorLinux LiveCD booted up several times in a row, both hard and cold reboots. How do you like that? As soon as I try to look at it, the problem is not showing itself.

Anyhow when my installed Arch does fail, it's the same as my OP:

start_secondary
or
i386_start_kernel

I will keep playing with it I guess.

Thank you.

#11 2011-01-27 20:15:37

CaptainKirk

Something very bizarre just happened. I think it must be a fluke but anyway I post it. I used sshfs to transfer files to my new machine from my old one. Then I shut down the new one and then my file system became messed up on the old one. Thunar wouldn't launch and I couldn't use the File Finder of other applications. I had this before with a certain server that sshfs caused problems.

So I soft rebooted and the OLD machine died on something like

unknown boot option
i386 start kernel

That has NEVER happened in several years. I have no explanation...

Board footer