You are not logged in.

#76 2011-01-30 16:03:55

zinahe

Re: new thunar, can't see removable devices

I hate 'Thunar'. Worthless carp !

I'm having the same problem.

1. I have dbus in rc.conf

2. Tried dbus-launch thunar and nothing

3. I DON'T want to install anything else. It used to work without them, so why the hell should I add more packages ? ! ? ! makes no sense at all.

I hate 'Thunar'. It doesn't even support hidden folders. This is 2011 for crying out loud ! And we're talking about a f**king File Manager. Even Microsoft got it right ages ago.

I'm pissed off.

Last edited by zinahe (2011-01-30 16:07:26)

#77 2011-01-30 16:22:39

Alm

zinahe wrote:

It doesn't even support hidden folders.

Are you serious?

I know this can be a little frustrating, but if you hate it so much you're free to use another of the dozens of other existing file managers, or just downgrade.

See, you're unpacking.

#78 2011-01-30 16:25:01

MadCatMk2

zinahe wrote:

-snip-

We are sorry, you are not an archlinux-compatible user.

#79 2011-01-30 17:38:26

KimTjik

Spot wrote:

Yeah now I can usa the trash and see thj removable devices, but cannot mount them because I'm not "authorized" any more.... sad
If I start thunar as root, the trash & removable devices don't show up at all -.- ....

Have you tried udiskie? It's a simple solution if you don't want to manually add specific rules.

Since root doesn't a run a dbus-session, you can start it by dbus-launch thunar, and everything should work as expected.

#80 2011-01-30 20:45:01

Spot

Thanks, you're great ! udiskie is working !
Seems to be a good workaround for the time the thunar-automount is malfunctioning

Last edited by Spot (2011-01-30 20:45:35)

#81 2011-01-30 21:27:44

anansi

I've removed file /etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules and now thunar automounts my thumbs smile

#82 2011-01-31 13:06:39

Spot

anansi wrote:

I've removed file /etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules and now thunar automounts my thumbs smile

This file doesn't exist on my system, updating to Thunar 1.2.1 brings no improvement.... still nedd udiskie. Automount is then working fine, but manually umount the devices is annoying.

#83 2011-01-31 13:23:19

anansi

Spot wrote:
anansi wrote:

This file doesn't exist on my system, updating to Thunar 1.2.1 brings no improvement.... still nedd udiskie. Automount is then working fine, but manually umount the devices is annoying.

I was trying udiskie but it didn't mount anything so I started to investigate all the mounting stuff on my desktop. Than I suddenly realized that I had to use hacked 60-persistent-storage.rules for my old phone to mount. I had it only on my desktop which had Thunar problems and udiskie problems. I've compared everything with my eee on which everything works fine all the time. Those storage rules were only difference so I've removed them and Thunar automagically started to mount all the usb drives. I didn't bother to check if udiskie works wink

I have dbus in my rc.conf and no hal
.xinitrc has only

exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

I start Thunar with

thunar

and it just works

#84 2011-01-31 13:24:03

tydell
Website

for me udiskie doesn't work
I get error

Exception in handler for D-Bus signal:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 214, in maybe_handle_message
    self._handler(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/udiskie/mount.py", line 57, in device_added
    self._mount_device(udiskie.device.Device(self.bus, device))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/udiskie/mount.py", line 37, in _mount_device
    if device.is_handleable() and not device.is_mounted():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/udiskie/device.py", line 62, in is_handleable
    if self.is_systeminternal():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/udiskie/device.py", line 48, in is_systeminternal
    return self._get_property('DeviceIsSystemInternal')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/udiskie/device.py", line 23, in _get_property
    dbus_interface=DBUS_PROPS_INTERFACE)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

when i plug in pendrive into usb

#85 2011-01-31 13:37:19

Spot

Omg it seems that there is not the "one and only" solution and everyone has to find out what is working for him...

Does anyone has this loop in his .xinitrc ?

# D-Bus
 if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
        eval "$(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)"
 fi

#86 2011-01-31 15:49:45

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I have it in my Openbox autostart.sh.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#87 2011-01-31 20:53:57

ngaba
Pacman Developer

Well, I've just figured out something important:

I have custom lines for USB stick and optical drive in /etc/fstab. When I comment out the corresponding lines, the missing icons _immediately_ shows up in the desktop (due to FAM?), and automount works as expected...

I think I have to edit some udev/??? rules here to handle my fstab correctly.

#88 2011-01-31 21:02:21

Skyalmian

Latest Thunar update broke file/folder emblems (not the first time)... It seems as though they're stored in ~/.config/Thunar/metafile.tdb which then does not work.

zinahe wrote:

-snip-

You could try nautilus with the "--no-desktop" command line, if you "hate" Thunar as implied. It's similar to it.

Last edited by Skyalmian (2011-01-31 21:34:25)

#89 2011-01-31 23:49:56

nstoyanov

anansi wrote:
Spot wrote:
anansi wrote:

I was trying udiskie but it didn't mount anything so I started to investigate all the mounting stuff on my desktop. Than I suddenly realized that I had to use hacked 60-persistent-storage.rules for my old phone to mount. I had it only on my desktop which had Thunar problems and udiskie problems. I've compared everything with my eee on which everything works fine all the time. Those storage rules were only difference so I've removed them and Thunar automagically started to mount all the usb drives. I didn't bother to check if udiskie works wink

I have dbus in my rc.conf and no hal
.xinitrc has only

exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

I start Thunar with

thunar

and it just works

This man has it right! I wish I had seen your post earlier... But, starting Xfce with "exec ck-launch-session startxfce4" in .xinitrc results in full functionality!

#90 2011-02-01 08:38:34

anansi

nstoyanov wrote:

This man has it right! I wish I had seen your post earlier... But, starting Xfce with "exec ck-launch-session startxfce4" in .xinitrc results in full functionality!

that's what xfce wiki says wink
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf … _boot_time

#91 2011-02-01 12:41:05

nstoyanov

anansi wrote:
nstoyanov wrote:

Indeed, but at the bottom where the wiki talks about Xfce 4.8 it tells you to add dbus-launch to .xinitrc. smile

#92 2011-02-01 13:37:43

anansi

nstoyanov wrote:
anansi wrote:
nstoyanov wrote:

Indeed, but at the bottom where the wiki talks about Xfce 4.8 it tells you to add dbus-launch to .xinitrc. smile

yea... but it also says "Xfce 4.8 (development version)"
AFAIK we're not talking about "development version" wink

#93 2011-02-01 16:20:04

nstoyanov

anansi wrote:
nstoyanov wrote:
anansi wrote:

yea... but it also says "Xfce 4.8 (development version)"
AFAIK we're not talking about "development version" wink

Haha, you win, Anansi!

On a side note, my power went off and when my PC rebooted the weather plugin started screwed up again. Oh well, I assume this is a development version of the weather plugin as it seems to be compiled from git... But, removable devices still work as expected.

#94 2011-02-01 18:09:50

beepressure

Great. Another thunar update, another problem. No I am unauthorized to mount devices.

#95 2011-02-01 18:27:00

Miles28

beepressure wrote:

Great. Another thunar update, another problem. No I am unauthorized to mount devices.

Neither do I, but only with slim. Everything's working right if I revert to lxdm.

Last edited by Miles28 (2011-02-01 18:33:17)

Inteligencia militar son términos contradictorios (G. Marx).

#96 2011-02-01 22:48:20

nstoyanov

beepressure wrote:

Have you tried the things suggested in this thread?

#97 2011-02-02 00:21:50

marines
Website

_abraxas wrote:
anansi wrote:

tried all of the above solutions and none of them works hmm

try that:

_abraxas wrote:

I have no udev rules. I don't want to use udiskie since Thunar is supposed to manage volumes mounting by itself. Mounting still isn't working. Devices aren't even displayed in Thunar sidebar (network and trash are displayed). None of solutione here helped. This happens to my friend's Arch. Mine works fine and I can't get what are the differences between our configurations. What should we have to compare to find the solution?

#98 2011-02-02 10:25:53

ga01f4733

I'm also lost.  using dbus in .xinitrc work at first, but not anymore, and was a bit funcky when I deleted things from Trash,guess there might be some ownership issues, but I also dont get the point ... I keep diggin'

There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign. --R.L Stevenson

#99 2011-02-02 18:50:53

beepressure

nstoyanov wrote:
beepressure wrote:

Have you tried the things suggested in this thread?

I put dbus in .xinitrc and it worked until the last thunar update.

This is the ONLY problem ive ever had with arch and its been happening ever since I started using it. Mounting permissions and the constant breaking of them.

#100 2011-02-02 19:02:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

beepressure wrote:

I put dbus in .xinitrc and it worked until the last thunar update.

This is the ONLY problem ive ever had with arch and its been happening ever since I started using it. Mounting permissions and the constant breaking of them.

Its not really a problem with Arch per se, but upstream. The reason you didn't realize it in other distros like Ubuntu for eg, is because you didn't get the update for xfce and thunar immediately after its release. You waited for 6 months before you got the new version, during which the bugs were ironed out and fixed partly due to reporting of the said bugs by Arch users and other users.

I have a udev rule (according to wiki) and auto-mounting has NEVER been broken for me ever since i put that rule in.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer