You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-31 22:48:33

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

[Solved] Register auto-login session with Consolekit

Since the last consolekit upgrade you either need to log in manually or use a login manager that supports console-kit to have your session register properly with it (and be able to shut down/suspend/resume/... as a user).

However, when you set up your system to log in automatically (like I do with my HTPC running Xbmc), that doesn't seem to work anymore (the session is reported as not being local, and you're denied access to reboot/shutdown/etc.). Apparently that's due to using the inittab method (as said in the wiki entry on starting X). X is launched from .xinitrc, and through ck-launch-session.

Since I am not exactly looking to SSH into my HTPC every single time (or attach a keyboard, I have a remote for that thing) to log in manually and start X, or shut down over SSH, I was wondering if there was an autologin alternative to the inittab method - or a way to make console-kit accept the session as local. As I understand it there doesn't seem to be a way to tell console-kit to think differently on existing session except through program calls (e.g. you can't just prefix /usr/bin/xbmc with /usr/bin/console-kit-deamon like you can do with dbus-launch or ck-launch-session). I think GDM and KDM can be used for auto-login, but they're quite heavy (especially since Xbmc can run right on top of X, so there's no need for any WM/DE whatsoever). Xdm apparently seems unable to do auto-login (and doesn't support console-kit yet); Slim should support it, but doesn't provide console-kit support (yet) either.

Any pointers are appreciated. Ideally I'd like to do this without a login manager, of course. With 256 MB of RAM (AppleTV) every MB saved is welcome smile.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#2 2011-02-02 08:22:58

Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [Solved] Register auto-login session with Consolekit

Looks like this is another one for the list wink

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2011-02-02 08:36:54

Velophile

Same situation here, I've rolled consolekit back to the previous release for the time being.

You may have already seen it but Aphanic's posted (#36) a potential fix/workaround on this thread.

#4 2011-02-02 08:59:57

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

I added a note to the page a few days ago about the possibility of combining mingetty (has autologin) + the .bash_profile/.zprofile method. It works as well as the inittab one but you are properly logged in (locally) so consolekit works. Even `w` and `who` in a terminal won't show you as logged in when starting via inittab.

You'll also save some RAM by using mingetty tongue (a few KB at least xD).

Here's what I use atm, it works fine with consolekit, although I don't actually use ck at the moment.

at the end of .zprofile:

if [[ -z $DISPLAY && $(tty) = /dev/tty2 ]]; then
    exec xinit ~/.config/xinitrc -- /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt08 &>/dev/null
fi

relevant section from inittab:

c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin thestinger tty2 linux
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin thestinger --loginpause tty3 linux
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin thestinger --loginpause tty4 linux
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin thestinger --loginpause tty5 linux
c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin thestinger --loginpause tty6 linux
c7:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin thestinger --loginpause tty7 linux

Last edited by thestinger (2011-02-02 09:05:16)

#5 2011-02-02 10:21:04

ichbinesderelch

the method described by testhinger works fine, thanks for sharing wink

#6 2011-02-02 11:02:44

Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks thestinger, I'll try that this evening ^_^.

#7 2011-02-02 14:08:27

TigTex

Well, that method works but even if you boot in runlevel3, X tries to start. And it's a little slower than inittab (.xinitrc) method on my pentium4 xbmc box (+2 seconds)... Meh, I want the old inittab back sad

.::. TigTex @ Portugal .::.

#8 2011-02-02 14:54:33

Aphanic

Thanks for the info thestinger!

@TigTex: to be able to use runlevel 3 as usual without starting X it might be interesting to parse the output of "who -r" and add another condition to the profile configuration file.

For example:

if [[ -z $DISPLAY && $(tty) = /dev/tty2 && `who -r | cut -c20` = 5 ]]; then
        # Start X
fi

#9 2011-02-02 14:57:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I don't use consolekit at all. I am not a 100% sure if i3 supports it or not, but I have always auto-logged-in using the inittab method and given NOPASSWD to reboot and shutdown through visudo. Hasn't given me any problems yet.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#10 2011-02-02 16:13:08

Forum Fellow
Website

Same here with Openbox, sudo doesn't care about the consolekit stuff. Xbmc does though wink.

Edit: thanks thestinger, works excellently smile.

#11 2011-02-03 16:54:56

lynix

just another method of starting XBMC without login manager:

# /etc/inittab
(...)
x:5:respawn:/bin/su alex -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c 'startx xbmc'>/dev/null 2>&1"

with following as .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh

nvidia-settings -l

if [ "$2" == "xbmc" ]; then
    # start XBMC
    exec ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -fs
else
    # start openbox session
    exec ck-launch-session openbox-session
fi

The parameter for .xinitrc gives me the ability to quickly fire up an openbox session on my media pc, for browsing etc.

Maybe it's useful for someone smile

#12 2011-02-03 18:05:40

Forum Fellow
Website

The issue is not about starting up without a login manager, but to do so and have it register with consolekit as a local session. I appreciate you're willing to help but it has nothing to do with the topic smile.

Board footer