You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-03 00:58:31

goodboy

Anyone familiar with how to set up scala 2.8 under arch?

I'm currently setting up my programming environment for scala 2.8x.
IntelliJ and stuff... the only thing that is still missing is scala's source code
documentation package, namly "scala-devel-docs", which is listed in their official
package repository (the universe) under http://scala-webapps.epfl.ch/sbaz/scala-dev

Yet I couldn't find it in any AUR arch repo (both community and unsupported).

Or has this package just slipped under the radar of the holy maintainers?

#2 2011-02-03 01:22:32

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Anyone familiar with how to set up scala 2.8 under arch?

Install "scala-doc".

File a bug report to request that the package maintainer change the package description to something less terse, preferably something that includes "scala-devel-docs" so that users can find it.

Btw, AUR only refers to the unsupported Arch User Repository. The community repo is not part of it.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2011-02-03 02:12:39

goodboy

Xyne wrote:

Install "scala-doc".

File a bug report to request that the package maintainer change the package description to something less terse, preferably something that includes "scala-devel-docs" so that users can find it.

Btw, AUR only refers to the unsupported Arch User Repository. The community repo is not part of it.

Merci, will do!

Btw, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Of … .a_The_AUR

There it states that.....  Technically, both the [community] and [unsupported] repos make up the AUR.
This boils down to the question: what exactly is "technically"? AUR==unsuported may be just common lingo.

#4 2011-02-03 02:58:33

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

goodboy wrote:

Btw, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Of … .a_The_AUR

There it states that.....  Technically, both the [community] and [unsupported] repos make up the AUR.
This boils down to the question: what exactly is "technically"? AUR==unsuported may be just common lingo.

Hmmm, you're right. I checked the edit history and that clarification was included recently by Louipc. I've never thought of it that way, and I consider it a misnomer given that [community] and [unsupported] are separate repositories, so referring to them as the "Arch User Repository" is confusing, plus the AUR website is now completely separate from [community].

I think this distinction is a vestige of [community]'s historical origins. I believe that most now consider it a fully separate repo.

I'll bring it up on aur-general.

EDIT
From https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR:

The Arch User Repository (AUR) is a community-driven repository for Arch users. It contains package descriptions (PKGBUILDs) that allow you to compile a package from source with makepkg and then install it via pacman.

[community], unlike AUR, contains binary packages that can be installed directly with pacman and the build files can also be accessed with ABS.

The common usage of the term clearly predominates. Maintaining the technical distinction is just confusing.

Anyway, this can be continued on aur-general.

Last edited by Xyne (2011-02-03 03:17:10)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2011-02-03 04:28:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

There is also a package in community called scala-src which as the name suggests is the scala source. scala-docs is listed as Scala documentation. You might probably need both.

I have been trying to get to code scala as well, but I never find enough time to actually build something useful. Maybe we can share our experiences on it.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2011-02-04 14:23:47

goodboy

@Xyne

There's indeed some confusion about AUR/unsupported/community
and their proper naming. Looking at the german wiki

https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/ArchLin … Repository

you'll find the following introductory sentence about the AUR

"Das ArchLinux User-Community Repository (AUR) ist eine Sammlung von Paketbeschreibungen.."

== "The ArchLinux User-Community Repository (AUR) is a collection of packge descriptions..."

Emm User-Community??  what shall it be then?

For the sake of symmetry if there's an AUR aka unsupported [i.e. supported by a user or person but unsupported by the community therefor Arch User Repository]
there should be an ACR aka supported [i.e. supported not only by one user but by the whole community therefor Arch Community Repository]
At the end if you find any reasonable naming convention and keep the documentation straight in less then half a year everyone will be following you.

@Inxsible
Thanks. The problem is there is also an official scala-documentation/2.8.1.final package in the scala universe. That's why I was confused about what is what.

If wnt to dig deeper into Scala I really recommend to you their IRC channel #scala. They're are very friendly and competent. kiviuq is my nickname
Reading the very good "Programming in Scala" by MArtin Odersky is a good start too and a must.

#7 2011-02-04 15:05:55

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Programming in Scala is already something that I am reading. Read the first few chapters 2-3 times already. But I need to start building an app to get familiarized with the nitty gritty details of extractors and traits...I'll get there.

thanks for the IRC channel. I might pop in sometimes.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer