You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-03 06:37:47

Jack450

Arch Linux crashing

My laptop randomly comes to a halt but I don't know the cause of the problems is...what should I do first to figure out what is causing these random crash/freeze?

Welcome to the Internet!

This isn't Daycare or the Justice System, here you're retarded until proven innocent.

#2 2011-02-03 07:12:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Arch Linux crashing

Check your logs...

Also, if you really want assistance, please include more information when you post: "comes to a halt" really doesn't mean anything...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_Post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2011-02-03 11:15:26

v43

same problem here.. i think.

in my case it stops seeking the hard drive after a few minutes it's running. the led indicator for the drive activity remains enlightened (not the usual blinking). this issue manifested first this morning, after yesterday general upgrade (pacman -Syu). I don't know which packets where upgraded since there was a lot bunch of them (mostly for latex).

where are the logs located? which log do you suggest i look into?

#4 2011-02-03 13:35:58

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

v43 wrote:

where are the logs located? which log do you suggest i look into?

The logs are in /var/log.
You will find information about recent install/updates in /var/log/pacman.log.
Just skimming over the other log files with e.g. the less pager will give you a feeling about where to look for a certain problem.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#5 2011-02-03 15:21:30

v43

thank you

OT
sadly, it's the damn hard drive that happens to be faulty. i'm trying to backup everything anyway, with the acronis true image bootable cd, ignoring bad sectors.
is there any way to check the integrity of installed packages with pacman and reinstall the one are broken?
maybe i'll just save the list of the installed packages, a few config files, and reinstall everything. uff such a waste of time sad

#6 2011-02-03 15:25:39

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

if you laptop is still under warranty, you should call your manufacturer and ask for a replacement

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2011-02-03 16:43:05

Jack450

jasonwryan wrote:

Check your logs...

Also, if you really want assistance, please include more information when you post: "comes to a halt" really doesn't mean anything...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_Post

I'll check the logs and find where the problem is so I can give a better detailed description of what problem.

Thanks

Welcome to the Internet!

This isn't Daycare or the Justice System, here you're retarded until proven innocent.

Board footer