You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-04 05:46:29

XtrmGmr99

Methods to test new hard drive.

Hello,

I recently purchased a new 2TB hard drive to replace the Frankenstein build I currently use in my server. Seeing as that a lot of storage space, and these 2TB drives have a higher tendency of being defective, I'm looking for various ways to test it out before I use it.

I've heard there are simple ways, like using dd to write to disk until it's full. But I want something more thorough. If anyone can provide any resources, that would be awesome! smile

#2 2011-02-04 14:29:28

imatechguy
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Methods to test new hard drive.

There's a few methods.

Use the S.M.A.R.T. utility:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Smart

Check for bad blocks:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/badblocks

mkfs badblocks check:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/mkfs.ext3

If you ever find badblocks:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fi … iven_Block

I just did this on 2 Western Digital 2Tb Green drives and the Short SMART check took about 2 minutes the Extended check took about 8 hours or so and the badblocks check took about 43 hours for each drive.  For the badblocks check I did use the non-destructive read-write mode and since these won't be encrypted I wrote 1's instead of choosing the Random option.  Also, using Random would have at least doubled the time to finish.

#3 2011-02-04 15:10:32

lagagnon
Website

What about the UltimateBootCD? It has a number of the manufacturer's diagnostic tools on it.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#4 2011-02-04 17:23:25

imatechguy

lagagnon wrote:

What about the UltimateBootCD? It has a number of the manufacturer's diagnostic tools on it.

A definite option but one that will prevent the user from accessing the system running it.  The OP indicated they wanted to check a new HDD prior to use so I gave options that would allow them to do that and still retain a functional system while doing so.  If they wanted to check the drive/partition their OS was installed on then a boot CD is pretty much required as most of these kinds of checks should really only be made on an unmounted drive/partition if I remember correctly.

#5 2011-02-04 19:05:20

XtrmGmr99

imatechguy wrote:
lagagnon wrote:

A definite option but one that will prevent the user from accessing the system running it.  The OP indicated they wanted to check a new HDD prior to use so I gave options that would allow them to do that and still retain a functional system while doing so.  If they wanted to check the drive/partition their OS was installed on then a boot CD is pretty much required as most of these kinds of checks should really only be made on an unmounted drive/partition if I remember correctly.

Boot CD is fine. I'm going to do this on a system that isn't in use, so I don't have to sacrifice my main machine during what will probably be a few days of testing...

Thanks for the recommendations!

#6 2011-02-04 19:19:46

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

do vendors take back hdds if it is found to have bad sectors? I haven't purchased one in a few years now, but I was just curious whether you would have to return to manufacturer or to the local vendor

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2011-02-04 20:32:37

imatechguy

Inxsible wrote:

do vendors take back hdds if it is found to have bad sectors? I haven't purchased one in a few years now, but I was just curious whether you would have to return to manufacturer or to the local vendor

Most e-taliers probably will if you're referring to a new HDD that "should" be in perfect condition as long as you get it back to them within the defined period for defective items.  Manufacturers maybe a different story once a device has been used, especially if it has been used for some time.  I'm about to find out as once my new 2Tb HDD's are fully up and running I'll be trying to RMA their 1Tb predecessors.  All I can suggest is review the warranty on the manufacturer website.

Board footer