You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-05 08:28:37

skodabenz
Banned

IPv6 Tunneling over dynamic IPv4 (through NAT) - suggestions

Hi all,
          I wanted to use Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel service as mentioned in the archwiki page. I have already registered for it but to create a tunnel it s asking for a static IPv4 address of my router. My current ISP (BSNL - in India) offers only dynamic ip which is also assigned via NAT so no public ipv4 address for my router. I also thought of trying out freenet6 from gogonet.gogo6.com but there ave been reports of it being unreliable. I don't have any need a static IPv6 address from the tunnel broker so dynamic IPv6 address is fine for me. I want to use a free tunnel broker service, not a paid one.

Which tunnel broker should i use and how to configure it for dynamic IPv4 addresses in Arch x86_64 system. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by skodabenz (2011-02-05 15:51:15)

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#2 2011-02-05 15:32:52

ghen

Re: IPv6 Tunneling over dynamic IPv4 (through NAT) - suggestions

Sixxs, with their aiccu tunnel client, works nicely with dynamic IPv4 and even through NAT (using UDP encapsulation).

#3 2011-02-05 16:05:03

skodabenz
Banned

ghen wrote:

Sixxs, with their aiccu tunnel client, works nicely with dynamic IPv4 and even through NAT (using UDP encapsulation).

Thanks registered for both freenet6 and sixxs. SixXS is waiting for manual approval. Both seem to work for dynamic ipv4 with NAT. Hurricane Electric seems to allow only static ipv4 addresses. I will try freenet6 till SixXS is approved.

One question - what about Teredo protocol (using Miredo client). Is it better than the above two?

#4 2011-02-06 06:32:05

skodabenz
Banned

To summarise about this - SixXS rejected my account (aka not approved). Hurricane electric requests a staic ipv4 address its tunnel creation page.

Right now I am using freenet6 service using their gogoc client ( http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=36431 ) . I registered for a freenet6 account and connect through authenticated servers (not anonymous ones). It is quite stable as of now.

Anyone knows how to use Hurricane Electric in dynamic IPv4 (behind NAT) configuration?

Last edited by skodabenz (2011-02-06 06:33:03)

#5 2011-02-06 11:05:22

Diaz

I can only say that there was a time when i was "testing" ipv6 and wherever i looked it all pointed to use Sixxs, but i looked i found it weird and very difficult to use/ get acepted.
I just wanted something quick to run and not hard to setup, so then i went and used freenet6 for a while and it worked fine with good speeds (i use ipv6 usenet free accounts to download things sometimes ^^).
It just failed some days and i went to the site and they where saying the servers were down and well since then i couldn't connect i installed miredo and from what i tried it worked fine.

And miredo was more quick to setup, i just had to install and run the rc.d service xD.

Regarding freenet6 i was kinda dumb because there was little information around, but, to use it there is no need to actually register on the site and even when registering that login is not the one used for the connection, there is another place in the site where one really creates an account just for the ipv6 stuff -.-'.
Weird but whatever...

So, i used freenet6 with anonymous and worked really fine with good speeds. Now trying miredo, not tested extensively yet, but works fine too although i kinda feel it a little slower (i heard there is less servers for it...).

#6 2011-02-06 14:31:52

ghen

Sixxs has been working very well for me for 5+ years now, at several sites.

Back then you needed a RIPE (or other RIR) handle to register, but nowadays you can register directly with them.

#7 2011-02-07 10:07:33

snakebite

skodabenz wrote:

Hurricane Electric seems to allow only static ipv4 addresses.

HE provides an interface to update your IPv4 address: https://ipv4.tunnelbroker.net/ipv4_end.php (linked to from the tunnel IPv4 endpoint page)

skodabenz wrote:

Anyone knows how to use Hurricane Electric in dynamic IPv4 (behind NAT) configuration?

I haven't done this myself, but apparently, if your IPv6 tunnel router is behind NAT, you need to somehow forward IP protocol 41 without NAT-ing the packages (a friend tried this but his router wouldn't let him pass the packages through).

#8 2011-08-09 06:51:04

dt

I use he and am behind a router.
Following this nice guide http://mirrors.bieringer.de/www.deepspa … el-en.html , I just put the following in a text file and execute it, if needed.

ip tunnel add v6 mode sit remote serverip ttl 64
ip link set v6 up
ip addr add youripv6addr dev v6
ip route add  2000::/3  dev v6

works for me wink

#9 2011-08-09 21:26:59

kevku

Board footer