You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-07 23:48:37

Ward

Resizing Windows Partition - No Longer Booting

Whenever I attempt to setup a Windows/Linux Dual boot I get hit with this same dilemma. I start off with a NTFS format partition with Windows XP on it. As soon as I resize the partition, it no longer boots. Even before installing linux/grub. I defragmented before attempting this, and I took every precaution. In the end, I'm never able to boot my Windows OS. I can boot Linux from the Grub menu, and I can still access my Windows files.

As of now I've reformatted back to Windows. I would just like to know what went wrong because I want to attempt another install later on.

#2 2011-02-08 00:34:21

Mektub

Re: Resizing Windows Partition - No Longer Booting

Ward,

windows is weird in that it notes somewhere the block numbers where the system is installed, and when that moves
it does not boot anymore.

Now you are making life more complicated then necessary: if you still have windows resized and installed (and not booting),
you can use the windows install cd and go into repair mode. It will fix the resized windows.

If you are starting from scratch, before installing windows, start a Linux live CD, do not install it, start the program
"gparted" and partition your disk as you want it. Then install windows in one of the partitions.

Instead of the Linux live CD you can also use a Gparted  stand alone CD:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Hope it helps.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2011-02-08 20:28:06

Ward

Thanks for the reply Mektub. I had already tried fixing the partition using a windows boot disk. I tried a variety of codes that would supposedly fix the boot scheme/mbr. None of those worked. I'm not sure if creating the partition beforehand would work. When I usually install windows it goes into Compaq Recovery and not necessarily Windows (I don't have a "windows cd", my computer did not come with one. I needed to burn my own recovery cd), and in Compaq Recovery there is no option for choosing your partition. As far as I know it wipes the HDD clean and installs itself as the only partition (including a recovery partition).

#4 2011-02-08 20:34:51

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

no don't do that. Using the recovery partitions will make you lose all your files on the drive. Its completely useless IMO. When I get a laptop, the first thing I do is to re partition the drives and remove the Recovery partition completely -- that way I can "recover" my hard drive and use those extra GB.

My gf's Toshiba came with a 20 GB recovery partition of which about 8.7GB were empty. The OEMs decide partition sizes out of their asses ! - Why waste 8+ GB? even if you needed a recovery partition. Baah !!

Back on topic : Simply use Super Grub Disk or SystemRescueCD if you don't have a Windows installation CD. You can then rectify the MBR and install grub again if need be.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-02-08 20:37:13

olive

Sometimes after resizing I have had the problem that Windows XP did not boot (I am not sure anymore but I believe it comlained about a missing ntdlr). But it booted fine after rebooting the computer (without having made any change). Is the grub entry for windows correct? Keep windows on the first primary partition.

Board footer